How do we realize something to be beautiful or ugly?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

How do we realize something to be beautiful or ugly?

Post by bahman »

I know that beauty is in eyes of the beholder. But I was wondering how we realize something as beautiful or ugly. To me, that is the duty of the subconscious mind to provide a sense of beauty or ugly with the subject of our experience. The reality is that there are all just forms that we experience and non of them is either beautiful or ugly.
popeye1945

Re: How do we realize something to be beautiful or ugly?

Post by popeye1945 »

bahman wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:45 pm I know that beauty is in eyes of the beholder. But I was wondering how we realize something as beautiful or ugly. To me, that is the duty of the subconscious mind to provide a sense of beauty or ugly with the subject of our experience. The reality is that there are all just forms that we experience and non of them is either beautiful or ugly.
bahman,

All meaning is in the eye or consciousness of the beholder, but there are things that constitute the beautiful and the ugly/monstrosities. There are degrees of the beautiful and the further an object or organism is from the beautiful the closer the object or organism is to non-existence, monstrosities by their form, structure and thus constitution are on the edge of existence. Beauty is relative to well being. It is not difficult for the adult or senior to appreciate the beauty of healthy youthfulness, the vitality the radiance the energy all constitute a beautiful child. If one is talking about other creatures the same applies how close is the individual to the ideal of his species, nature chooses the most fit to survive, that means fine in form and structure. There is even beauty in simplicity when form, structure and function are beautiful in the given example of its kind. We see too that in society we all tend to treat the beautiful better than the run of the mill, the just adaquate or homely individual, being unattractive in society is a heavy burden, often needing a strong character to carry that burden. Beauty is the essence of natural and artificial selection with all things in the right measure, ordered, balanced etc. Weakness, ware, illness and time all detract from the beautiful, for all things including the beautiful are temporal.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Physics
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:44 am Physics
..forgot all day to say: Bravo :D
bahman

Post by bahman »

popeye1945 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:08 am
bahman wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:45 pm I know that beauty is in eyes of the beholder. But I was wondering how we realize something as beautiful or ugly. To me, that is the duty of the subconscious mind to provide a sense of beauty or ugly with the subject of our experience. The reality is that there are all just forms that we experience and non of them is either beautiful or ugly.
bahman,

All meaning is in the eye or consciousness of the beholder, but there are things that constitute the beautiful and the ugly/monstrosities. There are degrees of the beautiful and the further an object or organism is from the beautiful the closer the object or organism is to non-existence, monstrosities by their form, structure and thus constitution are on the edge of existence. Beauty is relative to well being. It is not difficult for the adult or senior to appreciate the beauty of healthy youthfulness, the vitality the radiance the energy all constitute a beautiful child. If one is talking about other creatures the same applies how close is the individual to the ideal of his species, nature chooses the most fit to survive, that means fine in form and structure. There is even beauty in simplicity when form, structure and function are beautiful in the given example of its kind. We see too that in society we all tend to treat the beautiful better than the run of the mill, the just adaquate or homely individual, being unattractive in society is a heavy burden, often needing a strong character to carry that burden. Beauty is the essence of natural and artificial selection with all things in the right measure, ordered, balanced etc. Weakness, ware, illness and time all detract from the beautiful, for all things including the beautiful are temporal.
I understand what you are saying but that does not answer my question.
bahman

Post by bahman »

How it is done?
vegetariantaxidermy

bahman wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:40 pm
How it is done?
Just how little do you understand about 'anything'? What is the point in discussing something like this with a religious loon?
bahman

Post by bahman »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:59 pm
How it is done?
Just how little do you understand about 'anything'? What is the point in discussing something like this with a religious loon?
So you don't know.
vegetariantaxidermy

bahman wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:44 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:59 pm
How it is done?
So you don't know.
So it's my job to make you capable of thinking? Why the fuck would I bother? You are a waste of oxygen.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

How it is done?
vegetarian,

I the case of human-made objects skill as an artishan is helpful, in the case of organisms either artificial selection, natural selection or sexual selection one can tell if the organism or object is a beautiful specimen of its kind. Monstrosities of objects or organisms do not tend to function in kind and therefore are destined for the dustbin or perish by natural selection. Nature is a harsh judge and executioner in sorting the healthy adapted organism from the ill-adapted. All things can be reduced to physics but the processes involved vary according to the nature of the function of the object or organism.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

How it is done?
Bahman, I think Veg is insisting you think a tad deeper than what we generally talk about in 'attraction' - Chemistry. Mmm, chemistry, so superficial. Physics is the key (to pretty much everything)
vegetariantaxidermy

'recognise something as' you illiterate little twerp.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am 'recognise something as' you illiterate little twerp.
Que?
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:39 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am 'recognise something as' you illiterate little twerp.
Que?
Just referring to the OP title.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:07 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:39 am
Que?
Just referring to the OP title.
...sorry. Didn't real eyes the OP title had me defined as an illiterate little twerp. 8)