Is life worth living?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Is life worth living?

Post by Gary Childress »

I don't think it is. Mental illness sucks.
Immanuel Can

Re: Is life worth living?

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:06 am I don't think it is. Mental illness sucks.
And yet...it sure beats the alternative.

Where there is life, there is hope; where there is death, there is worms.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:31 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:06 am I don't think it is. Mental illness sucks.

The alternative is nothingness, no feeling at all, no awareness at all. And that's better than being aware of suffering.

EDIT: As far as hope, my experience has been that mental illness doesn't afford a person much in the way of hope. It's a life sentence of loneliness and otherness. Life is cruel when it's cruel, IC. Maybe not for you, maybe not for some but for some it is. That leads me to believe that there is no God. Life is a crapshoot. Some are born lucky, others aren't.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:22 am

The alternative is nothingness, no feeling at all, no awareness at all. And that's better than being aware of suffering.

EDIT: As far as hope, my experience has been that mental illness doesn't afford a person much in the way of hope.
Is there just one 'type' of 'mental illness', and the 'type' you have is the exact same one for EVERY one else with 'mental illness'?

Or, are there a multitude of different and varying 'versions' of 'mental illness'?
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:22 am It's a life sentence of loneliness and otherness.
Can those with 'mental illness' NEVER EVER 'change'?

And, does absolutely EVERY one with 'mental illness' have a 'life sentence', which means from the onset of 'mental illness' and forever more (for that one) they have 'loneliness' and 'otherness'?

Also, is there ANY one who;

Does not have 'mental illness'? If yes, then who, EXACTLY?

Does not feel 'lonely', at times? If yes, then who, EXACTLY?

Does not recognize and accept that EVERY body is, literally, DIFFERENT? IF yes, then who, EXACTLY?
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:22 am Life is cruel when it's cruel, IC.
When is 'Life', Itself, cruel?

How is 'Life', Itself, cruel?

Who is 'Life', Itself, cruel to?

In what way is 'Life', Itself, cruel?
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:22 am Maybe not for you, maybe not for some but for some it is.
It is 'Life', Itself, which is cruel? Or, is it that if human beings think or perceive that 'Life', Itself, is cruel, then they have just NOT YET matured ENOUGH to SEE and UNDERSTAND what thee ACTUAL Truth IS, EXACTLY?

'Life', Itself, is WITHIN 'you'. And, 'you' exist because of 'Life', Itself.

But how 'you', the Truly MATURED, LOOK AT and SEE 'things' is YOUR CHOICE, ALONE.
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:22 am That leads me to believe that there is no God. Life is a crapshoot. Some are born lucky, others aren't.
'Lucky' relative to 'what', EXACTLY?

Do you seriously BELIEVE that your OWN INABILITY, as an adult human being, to 'lift "your"-own-'self' up and find a female partner to spend the rest of your life with all comes down to just being "born unlucky"?

If you REALLY 'wanted to', you could find "yourself" a female partner, by the end of this day.

But OBVIOUSLY this is NOT what you REALLY 'want', and you will 'try to' BLAME ANY or EVERY 'thing' ELSE, rather than just YOU.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

And is why you had the good sense not to procreate by having children.

Therefore, there is some intelligence there inside that there noggin of your yours. Maybe it's everyone else who is mental, not you.

We carry our own beliefs, no one else puts them there but you. Only you can unload what you load.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:53 am
And is why you had the good sense not to procreate by having children.

Therefore, there is some intelligence there inside that there noggin of your yours. Maybe it's everyone else who is mental, not you.
I think the true winners in the game of life and evolution are those who don't procreate. The losers are the ones who doom their children to necessarily participate in this hell hole. There is no God. The world is devoid of purpose and meaning other than what people fantasize as purpose and meaning.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:02 pm
I think the true winners in the game of life and evolution are those who don't procreate. The losers are the ones who doom their children to necessarily participate in this hell hole. There is no God. The world is devoid of purpose and meaning other than what people fantasize as purpose and meaning.
I absolutely agree with you 100 and 10 %

I've known this all my life, I figured it out as young as the age of 5

I went on to have children because I'm a pitiful selfish kunt.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:06 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:02 pm
I absolutely agree with you 100 and 10 %

I've known this all my life, I figured it out as young as the age of 5

I went on to have children because I'm a pitiful selfish kunt.
Well, on the bright side, at least you'll have someone to look after you when you are too old to look after yourself. I'm probably destined to die on the roadside somewhere, which, to be honest, sounds a lot better than spending one's last days on Earth being subjected to the various torture techniques employed by physicians in hospitals. although, perhaps hospice care could be an option for me if I can find a place to die that doesn't ask for money.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:13 pm
Well, on the bright side, at least you'll have someone to look after you when you are too old to look after yourself.
No Gary no, ... but I undertstand why you would say that.

No, there is no way I will ever become a burden to my kids, there is no way I am going to allow another human being watch me grow old with all the ugliness that entails, like expecting someone else to mop up the drool from the side of my mouth.. hell no. I'm dying alone, I was born alone, I have lived alone, and I will die alone.

I cared for my children until they were mature enough to fly the nest as a mother would, but I have nothing in common with them. I love my kids, but I do not interfere in their lives now that they have grown. Nor do I expect them to interfere with my life.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:13 pm
Well, on the bright side, at least you'll have someone to look after you when you are too old to look after yourself. I'm probably destined to die on the roadside somewhere, which, to be honest, sounds a lot better than spending one's last days on Earth being subjected to the various torture techniques employed by physicians in hospitals. although, perhaps hospice care could be an option for me if I can find a place to die that doesn't ask for money.
Very well said, it takes a very intelligent clued up person to say that.

There are some intelligent people out there in this insane looney bin, but not many.

I'm personally not afraid of dying, I'm actually celebrating the idea every day. Whooo hoo! ..I'm gonna die, ain't that a blast!
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Is life worth living in Russia today?

Ask the pregnant women of Russia.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:22 am

But that isn't one of the alternatives on offer, is it? Or at least, while you may prefer to think it is, you have no grounds for any such confidence...

Why not rather seek your own future good? If you find out you're wrong, then oblivion will still be there to consume you. But if you're wrong...
Life is cruel when it's cruel, IC. Maybe not for you, maybe not for some but for some it is.
Life is always hard, Gary. You don't get to be older without suffering. Nobody does. We may imagine others have it better than we do -- we almost always do that -- but we're often wrong, as I've discovered. And what we are always wrong about is that our lot is worse than anybody else's could possibly be.

Yes, life is hard. It tasks us all, and at the end of the day, leaves us unfulfilled. And since it sates no souls, maybe it's worthwhile to entertain the thought that the Bible offfers us: that this life was never intended to be the be-all and end-all of our existence, but rather a training ground and preparation for the world that lasts. I certainly think that's the case.

Either way, to spend our lives pitying ourselves gets us nowhere. It merely makes us unheroic, as even the very secular Existentialists like Camus would tell us. If life is a heavy "rock to roll" then, at the very least, let us roll it with heroic fortitude. But I think Kierkegaard was a far better Existentialist than Camus could dream of being; and he believed in the primacy of the life to come. For Camus, there was at least a noble life now; for Kierkegaard, there was not merely heroism today, the being a "knight of faith," but in that faith, the prospect of triumph tomorrow.

So life is hard. And we cannot do anything about that, save to decide how we will address ourselves to that fact. We can do it with fortitude, courage, purpose and heroism, or cringingly, with self-pity and complaint. We may indeed get something from the former; but we shall never get a single good thing from the latter.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

The only good thing about living is dying. And thank God we only have to do this once.
bahman

Post by bahman »

You cannot choose otherwise. We are trapped in the illusion forever. :mrgreen: