Attraction.

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Attraction.

Post by Age »

popeye1945 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:36 am Interesting, it certainly isn't an intellectual decision, the strongest impulse of nature the will of the species. Sometimes watching couples for their mutual traits I think there is a balancing going on here. One couple I knew, the girl had rather protruding eyes and her boyfriend had eyes like two piss hole in the snow--balance? I remember reading Schopenhauer and him saying that the intellect is provided by the mother and the character by the father. I compared friends and their parents and really thought in many cases it was true. This is before genetics, I still think there is a little something to it. Physical attraction is of course the utmost thing that brings couples together,
IF 'physical attraction', OF COURSE, is the UTMOST thing that brings couples together, then WHAT brings the 'blind' together?

Or, does a 'blind' one NOT come together as a couple?
popeye1945 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:36 am an unreal infatuation in which it is hoped that passion will give way in time to compassion but with the divorce rate over the fifty percent mark now it doesn't occur nearly enough. When young people discover the ideal that they married was a delusion, it's off for a fresh start only to be tricked again, it is just another warty farty human being. When I think back upon my failed marriage we were just two very young people with nothing particularly in common but perhaps our mutual emotional retardation, our emotional intellects were on the same level. So, it's definitely NEARLY always physical until one is older and other things weigh into the equation.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Age wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:50 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:36 am Interesting, it certainly isn't an intellectual decision, the strongest impulse of nature the will of the species. Sometimes watching couples for their mutual traits I think there is a balancing going on here. One couple I knew, the girl had rather protruding eyes and her boyfriend had eyes like two piss hole in the snow--balance? I remember reading Schopenhauer and him saying that the intellect is provided by the mother and the character by the father. I compared friends and their parents and really thought in many cases it was true. This is before genetics, I still think there is a little something to it. Physical attraction is of course the utmost thing that brings couples together,
IF 'physical attraction', OF COURSE, is the UTMOST thing that brings couples together, then WHAT brings the 'blind' together?

popeye1945 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:36 am an unreal infatuation in which it is hoped that passion will give way in time to compassion but with the divorce rate over the fifty percent mark now it doesn't occur nearly enough. When young people discover the ideal that they married was a delusion, it's off for a fresh start only to be tricked again, it is just another warty farty human being. When I think back upon my failed marriage we were just two very young people with nothing particularly in common but perhaps our mutual emotional retardation, our emotional intellects were on the same level. So, it's definitely NEARLY always physical until one is older and other things weigh into the equation.
+++IF 'physical attraction', OF COURSE, is the UTMOST thing that brings couples together, then WHAT brings the 'blind' together?+++

Please refer to my previous post in this very thread.

Post by Age »

Maia wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:00 pm

+++IF 'physical attraction', OF COURSE, is the UTMOST thing that brings couples together, then WHAT brings the 'blind' together?+++

Are you saying that 'you' are 'blind', or that 'you' do NOT find 'physical attraction' is, OF COURSE, the UTMOST thing in being attracted to "another"?

If it is the former, then okay.

But if it is the latter, then I am NOT surprised AT ALL.

VERY, VERY GENERALLY, most above teenage to 20 something year old women find 'attracting' qualities WITHIN the body. Whereas, and again, VERY, VERY GENERALLY, but maybe more so, men of ALL ages find 'attracting' qualities more so on the OUTSIDE of the body.

Or, was there something else completely different or specific that you wanted me to look at and/or notice in your reply above?
Maia

Post by Maia »

Age wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:40 pm

Are you saying that 'you' are 'blind', or that 'you' do NOT find 'physical attraction' is, OF COURSE, the UTMOST thing in being attracted to "another"?

VERY, VERY GENERALLY, most above teenage to 20 something year old women find 'attracting' qualities WITHIN the body. Whereas, and again, VERY, VERY GENERALLY, but maybe more so, men of ALL ages find 'attracting' qualities more so on the OUTSIDE of the body.

Or, was there something else completely different or specific that you wanted me to look at and/or notice in your reply above?
Yes, it's the former. I'm blind.

Post by Age »

Maia wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:48 pm

As I said, 'okay'.

I hope what I said was somehow putting across another side, view, or perspective of 'things', like yours, instead of these people who think or believe that because they think or see things, from some particular point of view, then the rest should or must also think and see 'things' from this same perspective.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Age wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:25 pm
Maia wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:48 pm

As I said, 'okay'.

I hope what I said was somehow putting across another side, view, or perspective of 'things', like yours, instead of these people who think or believe that because they think or see things, from some particular point of view, then the rest should or must also think and see 'things' from this same perspective.
Yes, that's fine.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

We are attracted first to what we cannot have, second to what we believe makes us better.
Olocyni

Post by Olocyni »

One theory is that it is a survival instinct. In our primitive past, if we were attracted to someone who was unattainable, it meant they were likely to be a better mate and provide us with healthier offspring. Whatever the reason, it is clear that attraction is a complex and often confusing phenomenon :arrow:
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Olocyni wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:10 pm One theory is that it is a survival instinct. In our primitive past, if we were attracted to someone who was unattainable, it meant they were likely to be a better mate and provide us with healthier offspring. Whatever the reason, it is clear that attraction is a complex and often confusing phenomenon :arrow:
It is called sexual selection and generally speaking it is the female that does the selecting, this is not to say, particularly with humanity that she does not make bad choices. Our young are not educated as to the reality of this but to a romantic fantasy, so little wonder young women sometimes make bad choices. Christ Rock, Fellows, when you get a new girlfriend what do your male friends ask you, WHAT DOES SHE LOOK LIKE? Ladies, when you get a new boyfriend, what do your female friends ask you, WHAT DOES HE DO? Women marry on the same economic level as themselves or up, never down. Males sometimes do the same but will marry down, if the girl/woman is attractive enough. It is all more superficial than any of us like, but there it is.
Olocyni

Post by Olocyni »

popeye1945 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:26 am
Olocyni wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:10 pm One theory is that it is a survival instinct. In our primitive past, if we were attracted to someone who was unattainable, it meant they were likely to be a better mate and provide us with healthier offspring. Whatever the reason, it is clear that attraction is a complex and often confusing phenomenon :arrow:
It is called sexual selection and generally speaking it is the female that does the selecting, this is not to say, particularly with humanity that she does not make bad choices. Our young are not educated as to the reality of this but to a romantic fantasy, so little wonder young women sometimes make bad choices. Christ Rock, Fellows, when you get a new girlfriend what do your male friends ask you, WHAT DOES SHE LOOK LIKE? Ladies, when you get a new boyfriend, what do your female friends ask you, WHAT DOES HE DO? Women marry on the same economic level as themselves or up, never down. Males sometimes do the same but will marry down, if the girl/woman is attractive enough. It is all more superficial than any of us like, but there it is.
yes, I agree with you. no matter how someone explains their actions, but at the subconscious level, people act in this way ..
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Olocyni wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:43 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:26 am
yes, I agree with you. no matter how someone explains their actions, but at the subconscious level, people act in this way ..

Olocyni.

Yes, some people seem to think that biology follows fashion as in the zeitgeist of the thought through changing times, but evolutionary change is a slow process indeed. I think most people believe they have more control over their lives than they do. Our primordial ancestors still live within us. An individual does not even know what their next thought is going to be or where it comes from, so yes, the well we draw from is incredibly deep and much not available to consciousness.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

A most interesting question mon ami, a most interesting question.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

I love myself but I'm somwehat of a Buddhist which means I'm way in over me head in the romance department. I feel empty and hollow - the pleonasm, I feel it means something if only to me.