faces

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

faces

Post by Advocate »

There is a pseudo-universal foundation to facial beauty.

It is an overlay of anthropological principles which express as a preference for generic faces (those with very common features, removing apprehension and creating the salient comfort of the known, with mathematically expressible geometric relationships) on top of which there is a layer of cultural norms and expectations (expressed usually in popular media archetypes, especially advertising) on top of which is as layer of personal experience, lost loves, hated enemies and exes, craved soulmates.
popeye1945

Re: faces

Post by popeye1945 »

Advocate,

From your intro you seem to be talking about sexual selection, the types of features would be in common with a homogenous population. In a multicultural society, the genetic variation would be considerably wider. Minority groups displaying features not in keeping with the concepts of a certain ideal would be limited mostly to their minority group in the exercise of sexual selection. Is this on the mark or not the idea you had in mind? That there is a tin-plate for species is undeniable, genetic tin-plate, is this where you are going with this?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Per some, equally learned, scholars, earlier theories of (facial) beauty turned out to be half-truths at best or through and through poppycock at worst. Some extremely interesting links were made but as we all know, they are only as strong as the background assumptions are! Despite my earlier enthusiasm in re these background assumptions and the mounting evidence in their favor, I have my doubts. Who am I though and que sais-je?

There was also, if memory serves, a fad involving "painting" certain parts of the body and it kinda hit the bullseye, dead center! Google for more or, if you prefer a more traditional approach, go fer a walk. You might just see this form of artistic expression as it fades away from our collective memory.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Advocate wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:57 am There is a pseudo-universal foundation to facial beauty.

It is an overlay of anthropological principles which express as a preference for generic faces (those with very common features, removing apprehension and creating the salient comfort of the known, with mathematically expressible geometric relationships) on top of which there is a layer of cultural norms and expectations (expressed usually in popular media archetypes, especially advertising) on top of which is as layer of personal experience, lost loves, hated enemies and exes, craved soulmates.
It is effectively argued that beauty seem to correlate with an innate sense of symettry overlaid upon the early experience of what we learn a face to be.
Thus provided the face is similar to the faces of your clan and parents, and is also symmetrical, it is considered beauiful.
But what is considered the "clan", or the "norm" can clash with your own face if you are of a minority race, it is likley that you adopt the norm of the dominant "race".
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

Advocate, are you familiar with the concept of "philosophy"? Do you understand that assertions have to be supported by arguments? Or are you another bloody AI program saturating the forums with provocative but pointless generalities?
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

By the way, your mistake was to start with "pseudo-universal foundation to facial beauty". I thought you were talking about skin cream. Actually, if you're an AI program, you probably were.