What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

popeye1945

Re: What is truth in art?

Post by popeye1945 »

Janoah wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:09 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:35 am
Define the truth.
He that speaketh truth in his heart is true in art, and in general in life. And on a desert island, too.
That is, do not lie to yourself, this is an inner truth, in art in particular, and in general in life.
After all, I said it at the beginning of this topic.

It is interesting, by the way, that in Sartre, self-deception-bad faith was a central point.
You are not speaking of innate truth but what is communicated as truth, all meaning is the property of a conscious subject, and truth is a biological readout. Self-deception- bad faith as internal conflict is a biological problem. Alter one's biology and one alters one's truth.
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

popeye1945 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:37 am
You are not speaking of innate truth but what is communicated as truth,
Truth is conformity. "External" truth is the correspondence of representation to the represented reality, "internal" truth is the correspondence to the dictates of conscience.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Janoah wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:41 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:37 am
You are not speaking of innate truth but what is communicated as truth,
Truth is conformity. "External" truth is the correspondence of representation to the represented reality, "internal" truth is the correspondence to the dictates of conscience.
Truth to the individual is experience and to the group agreement. It is true that experience is not infallible but if incorrect it is not possible for the same biology that made the error to correct its own experience. Conscience has nothing to do with truth. All meanings, read all truths are subjective and as experience, the truth of it is always true to the biology having that experience whether it agrees with physical reality or not. This is where the collective agreement is a little more likely to correspond to said reality, but it too is not infallible. It seems to me that truth in art is perception and it is in art the imaginative communication of the perceptual truth of the artist, sometimes the communication works and sometimes it does not. Although there are differing forms of art the skilled artisan might make a tool of the most beautiful simplicity of form and function and I think in a way this can be considered truth, a categorical perfection.
Walker

Post by Walker »

MLK Jr. had a dream. Then someone had a nightmare and called it The Embrace. Why? How did this happen?

The realists painted what they saw. So did the Impressionists, they just needed spectacles. Cezanne focused more on color than form which required more conceptual interpretation from the viewer. Mind intepretation, i.e. conceptual meaning, became more important in art. Conceptual art. Artists began fusing concept to art. Picasso fractured form, the viewer uses concepts of form to understand. The subsequent evolution of art, post-Cezanne, has led to the viewer either getting the all-important concept presented by the artist, or not getting it, and if not well that's on the viewer, isn't it.

No bi-lateral symmetry. Well, a bit. The hands and arms.

In visual art, bi-lateral symmetry may be the truth touchstone.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:50 am In visual art, bi-lateral symmetry may be the truth touchstone.
Whatever the subject, Walker, you always find a way of saying something meaningless about it.

Have you been away, btw? I haven't noticed you around lately.

Now that I have noticed you, I'm missing your not being here already. :|
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:05 pm
Walker wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:50 am In visual art, bi-lateral symmetry may be the truth touchstone.
Whatever the subject, Walker, you always find a way of saying something meaningless about it.

What are you talking about! - the statement he made above (maybe not all of it) was very interesting and well constructed - unusual for him, but sometimes he hits the mark. (and I'm not just saying this because he acknowledged my AI thread is now rather funny)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:28 pm
What are you talking about! - the statement he made above (maybe not all of it) was very interesting and well constructed
I only noticed the part that wasn't.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:38 pm
attofishpi wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:28 pm
What are you talking about! - the statement he made above (maybe not all of it) was very interesting and well constructed
I only noticed the part that wasn't.
I noticed that. Sometimes Harbal, one needs to see the better parts of people. Take my hemorrhoids for example, if you were to focus on those you might miss the true arsehole that I am, while focussing on the deformed arsehole that I'd prefer people not to see.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:47 pm
I noticed that. Sometimes Harbal, one needs to see the better parts of people.
I don't think Walker has a better part. He only seems to have a bad part, and an even worse part.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:05 pm

:lol:

The wild bird feeder at the back of the property is popular this time of year. There’s four perches that have springs that close the food portal when a big bird takes a roost. To get to the smaller seeds the finches knock out the corn and sunflower seeds for the squirrels and wabbits and song birds hopping around on the ground. They’re quiet this season of the year. No hanky panky until it warms up in the Spring and then they pipe up. Every once in awhile I walk out there to knock the skim ice off these little bowls of water I keep filled from a five gallon bucket that catches rain water off the tarp that covers the wood pile.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

What is the color of bowling pins? Are they always white or do some come in dazzlin' hues too?
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Perhaps, in the field of art truth might mean, does the public have the experience the art is meant to affect or is it contrary to the artist's intention?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

What's so important that profuse sweating, flushing and palpitations make zero sense? Is it Mr. Stratson, the local butcher or is it a TikTok video clip on how an umbrella can be used to sink a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier?

"I wanted to show you something."

"What, what? Is it a Kangaroo giving birth? A police chase? A pretty girl in a bikini?"

"No, none of the above."

"What then?"

"I don't know. All I can remember is I have to show you something. I feel bad now."

"Oh, not an issue, not an issue at all. This kinda thing happens to everybody. Look, I can wait and if it comes to not knowing, ever, I'm perfectly ok with it. Smile, smile?"

"You're ... you're ... "

"I am that I am. Hehe. Couldn't resist."
philosophydelightful

Post by philosophydelightful »

Honestly, I feel like there is no real definition for 'truth in art', because everyone's perspective and interpretation will be different. It'll be something unique for each person. But if I had to give my two cents, I’d say it really depends on the message you're trying to get across. It's whatever someone gets out of a piece that makes it genuine and meaningful to them. No one can tell you what the 'truth' in a painting or sculpture is because it's different for everyone! Bottom line is, art is subjective and it's all about the way you express your truth.