any artists here that turned into philosophers (or the other way around)?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: any artists here that turned into philosophers (or the other way around)?

Post by attofishpi »

NEW wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:07 pm I can't really say anything around your work,
except that they look very good at first sight.

Are they all based upon the shape of the region? And is your work mostly centered around this?
I know they're good, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

Most of my art at this stage centres around peculiarities upon the globe and within the English language.

So they didn't get the cogs upstairs working at all? I guess I am hoping that people might question their perception of reality to some degree, that my art might challenge those perceptions.

So no questions came to mind upon viewing those three images?

This is most of my art - some are still in progress, a few others I haven't uploaded as yet.
https://www.androcies.com/galleryscroll.php

I haven't gone through this thread - i presume you also knock out some art? Care to share?
NEW

Post by NEW »

attofishpi wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:22 am
NEW wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:07 pm I can't really say anything around your work,

Are they all based upon the shape of the region? And is your work mostly centered around this?

Most of my art at this stage centres around peculiarities upon the globe and within the English language.

So they didn't get the cogs upstairs working at all? I guess I am hoping that people might question their perception of reality to some degree, that my art might challenge those perceptions.

This is most of my art - some are still in progress, a few others I haven't uploaded as yet.

I haven't gone through this thread - i presume you also knock out some art? Care to share?
Well, I must agree some things popped up, something similar, although my starting point may have been off. Promise me you won't laugh ;-)

I had this idea that some of your work had comparisons with the map shape of regions, and you worked with that. Therefore I thought the shapes of the regions are in a way shaping the work, and the region, with it's perceptions, the world.

Also some local products popped up, that is partly shaping a perception of truth, (cause one of your paintings resembled for me also an art style of commercial products (France +-1900 - art nouveau kinda posters - http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/85grm89v4yhw6a.jpg)

like a pizza from Italy, made by a real Italian "Mama" who specializes in delicious (smelling) meals for the family,
or eau de Cologne, from Cologne, that reminds you how my grandmother had this in the house, and she and her house smelled a bit like it as well
French fries, that are really the best in Belgium, so something went wrong there ;-)
an egg, with a peaceful image of a farm from the 19th century
chocolate from Belgium, with that pure bittersweet taste of quality
or pastis, from France, and in the past heavily connected with the sports of petanque and a little game with your neighbors during chilly evenings
or a cornetto, that is offering some gentle sweet and chilliness, cold, in warm days,
or a calippo, that brings you right back to your childhood,

...etc etc

Please recognize, within this thought process also the challenge, of those perceptions, towards reality,

all squirted out of mindless calculated machines or rigid/exploited environments and people (I don't go into details or you'll lose your appetite),
but patched up with images, feelings so that the consumer has this nice cosy feeling when buying them, and consuming them ...
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

NEW wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:18 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:22 am

Well, I must agree some things popped up, something similar, although my starting point may have been off. Promise me you won't laugh ;-)

I had this idea that some of your work had comparisons with the map shape of regions, and you worked with that. Therefore I thought the shapes of the regions are in a way shaping the work, and the region, with it's perceptions, the world.

Also some local products popped up, that is partly shaping a perception of truth, (cause one of your paintings resembled for me also an art style of commercial products (France +-1900 - art nouveau kinda posters - http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/85grm89v4yhw6a.jpg)

Please recognize, within this thought process also the challenge, of those perceptions, towards reality,
Sorry, I had to delete some of your post - I am about to cook a chicken pie topped with some chicken casserole and some veg..mmm, I didn't real eyes art could be so delicious.

So.

Me no laugh. Thanks for your honesty.

Ancasta - UK to scale - an important part - Ireland (the child) is broken down to I-re-land

Natal - South America to scale - Chile up the spine (a chill up your spine) Natal a town on the nipple of the Bra-zil - (Natal - of or relating to childbirth)

Mount Sinai - The Red Sea to scale - Mt Sinai - is dead centre between the fingers - breaks down to SIN-AI - the place where the commandments were given. SIN - ooh ..A.I. - we can now comprehend how an entity can know all via our progressive technology - Artificial Intelligence.

Did you actually recognise the globe locations that I had painted? - I find when I show people these paintings it is rare that they comprehend the UK\South America etc..
NEW

Post by NEW »

Hey,

yeah, I noticed some similarities with maps, especially with Sinai, and lesser with Ireland.
But didn't see the word associations beyond that (good find).

Anyway, thanks for not dissing this, or be disappointing because I was not complete seeing everything as you might have expected or intended.
You see, the eyes of the beholder of art can be a bit different also, although I was a bit amazed the result was the same, being the challenge, of those perceptions, towards reality :o .

Around my art, well, I still have some photographing to do, but perhaps this gives me a reason to finally get to work on that.

I will certainly share some inhere when ready.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

NEW wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:57 am Hey,

yeah, I noticed some similarities with maps, especially with Sinai, and lesser with Ireland.
But didn't see the word associations beyond that (good find).
O well. Some peoples art aint just art - one might need to get those cogs upstairs moving.

NEW wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:57 amAnyway, thanks for not dissing this, or be disappointing because I was not complete seeing everything as you might have expected or intended.
You see, the eyes of the beholder of art can be a bit different also, although I was a bit amazed the result was the same, being the challenge, of those perceptions, towards reality :o .
mmm. Reality always comes back to the same point - REAL_IT_Y?

Reality is technology ...1. divine? 2. man-made?

NEW wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:57 amAround my art, well, I still have some photographing to do, but perhaps this gives me a reason to finally get to work on that.

I will certainly share some inhere when ready.
Good - do that, always nice to see what fellow forum members R up to.

Now, I gotta get back to me ol mate Chaz..
attofishpi

Rush.more Atheists

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 pm Last one for now.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/93/70/e4 ... 686495.jpg

Inventing the Twentieth Century.

As many observer has recognised this Sculpture is a subversion of the American iconic and monumental sculpture carved into the living rock of Mount Rushmore, and depicting four of the USA's most prominent Presidents; Washington, Jefferson, Theo Roosevelt, and Lincoln.
Since its construction in the early 20thC Mount Rushmore has been parodied and used to represent the Fab Four; Indian Chiefs; heroes of Black American history; Deep Purple; and many more.

This example accepts the 20thC as the "American Century" in which the US became the dominant nation on earth, whilst suggesting four alternative characters from the 19thC that most influenced the intellectual climate of the 20th. So if the US were interested in thinking, these are the guys that ought to be on Mount Rushmore.

From left to right the we find Charles Darwin. Karl Marx, John Stuart Mill, and Friedrich Nietzsche.

Few would disagree with the massive impact had by the evolutionary theories of Darwin, the revolutions stimulated by Marxist ideas and the fact that Marx's economic theories are still used by the left and right to understand how capital works.
JS Mill's ideas are perhaps less well known, but no less important. He argued for the ideas of liberty, free speech, women's rights, and equality that have laid the basis for extending the vote to all, and the emancipation of slaves.
Nietzsche who looks towards the other three is the critic, the skeptic whose philosophy has provided an analytical, even nihilistic eye on all philosophies laying the ground for expressionism, postmodernism, individualism and egoism. He is probably most famous for his declaration that "God is Dead" and shares with the other three the position of Atheism: a fitting quartet for the Century that has been called "The Godless Century".
Nice sculpture of 4 people that were wrong about that thing that you have based so much faith in.

THE most influential person that has guided our ethics in the West since the year Zero, Christ, definitely too good for a place that tends to Rushmore atheist idols. A chap that went to his death stating have some faith in love, indeed have some faith in life beyond our perception of reality.

Darwin was not an atheist.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

NEW wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:23 am
Sculptor wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 pm Last one for now.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/93/70/e4 ... 686495.jpg

Inventing the Twentieth Century.

As many observer has recognised this Sculpture is a subversion of the American iconic and monumental sculpture carved into the living rock of Mount Rushmore, and depicting four of the USA's most prominent Presidents; Washington, Jefferson, Theo Roosevelt, and Lincoln.
Since its construction in the early 20thC Mount Rushmore has been parodied and used to represent the Fab Four; Indian Chiefs; heroes of Black American history; Deep Purple; and many more.

This example accepts the 20thC as the "American Century" in which the US became the dominant nation on earth, whilst suggesting four alternative characters from the 19thC that most influenced the intellectual climate of the 20th. So if the US were interested in thinking, these are the guys that ought to be on Mount Rushmore.

From left to right the we find Charles Darwin. Karl Marx, John Stuart Mill, and Friedrich Nietzsche.

Few would disagree with the massive impact had by the evolutionary theories of Darwin, the revolutions stimulated by Marxist ideas and the fact that Marx's economic theories are still used by the left and right to understand how capital works.
JS Mill's ideas are perhaps less well known, but no less important. He argued for the ideas of liberty, free speech, women's rights, and equality that have laid the basis for extending the vote to all, and the emancipation of slaves.
Nietzsche who looks towards the other three is the critic, the skeptic whose philosophy has provided an analytical, even nihilistic eye on all philosophies laying the ground for expressionism, postmodernism, individualism and egoism. He is probably most famous for his declaration that "God is Dead" and shares with the other three the position of Atheism: a fitting quartet for the Century that has been called "The Godless Century".
wow, this one is a beauty! especially for this topic also :D

(is that little distance you put in between Nietzsche and the rest on purpose? ...beautiful little detail!)

beautifully carved also. (just like the rest of the pieces)
I can see why you put the emphasis on craftsmanship and technique, it shows, including very sensitive touches, full of feeling.
Many thanks for simply showing me wrong, you rascal! :D
So the question was; if you had to choose, what 4 thinkers of the 19thC most contrinuted to the 20thC. Most people recognise, Marx and Darwin, but find themselves "educated" about Mill. And yes Nietzsche is casting a skeptical look on the others.

I've done stone carving but I have to admit this is not an example of it. This was originally constructed in terracotta, and a silicone mould painstakingly built around it. The final casting is in Jesmonite.
I love the freedom of clay, but I wonder if I could not have more quickly achieved the same thing by actually carving the thing.
The advantage of making the mould is that I can replicate the sculpture should anyone ever want to buy it!
Needless to say I did all the work by myself. Craftsmanship is all.

Each time I have exhibited it, it has got interesting conversations going, about their contributions, or what other four people could you choose to subvert Mt Rushmore.
The Beatles?
Feminists have complained about my choices. I say I am reflecting a world in which women were silenced - you can't have it both ways. They we discuss what four women might you want to bring together on a theme.
NEW

Post by NEW »

Well, one could argue endlessly about who should be presented etc,

but if this post was about a book, and this title needed a cover picture; this would be it :-)

About this craftmanship and my point: it certainly is the way you want, and even have to go, since it's really your thing...it simply shows.

--

But, please don't boil my head ;-)

I on the other hand, have got different values.
I received plenty of art classes, drawing lessons etc ...but it never got to me figuratively speaking ...it's like I couldn't get it, didn't want to get it ...since my base was all around abstract non/ conceptual thinking processes from the beginning. And my work heavily relies on abstraction, and yeah, a bit of rough dada in it, if one needs to have a reference, to show the relativity of things also.

Here is an example (older work) of trying to visualize "the artist":

a little element to be put underneath one leg of a table/chair to make it more tilted, a little less easy to use, something that makes it all a bit uncomfortable.
It's questioning function vs art with the use of the archetypes of a table/chair and the role of an artist within a society.

the artist 2.jpg
the artist 2.jpg (7.83 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
the artist 1.jpg
the artist 1.jpg (5.91 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

I swear they Q this shit up for me.

LEGEND is an interesting word, take the LEG_END away!

...it's future piece a intend to do.
NEW

Post by NEW »

attofishpi wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:38 pm I swear they Q this shit up for me.

LEGEND is an interesting word, take the LEG_END away!

...it's future piece a intend to do.
:lol: it seems inspiration hit you? :idea:
NEW

Post by NEW »

Here is another piece, called interlinked: a series of works trying to describe the interlinks of it all, of the brain, of situations, thought processes, upto the living universe ...

This one is around 1mx1m or 40x40 inch
interlink.JPG
interlink.JPG (55.27 KiB) Viewed 4031 times
I have to add this highly subjective synchronization event as well. While I was working on this exact piece, the news spread that evidence showed that the entire universe was interconnected with each other (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCmAQz6E_rg), later on confirmed that the brain resembles much of the universe, trough a fungus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjnyuaQ3rvM)

You can imagine, I was pretty stunned, and pretty much ecstatic for a while ...
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

NEW wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:17 am :lol: it seems inspiration hit you? :idea:
Sure, but it's one that's been in the pipeline for some time - it's just another bit of hilarious synchronicity that takes place in my life - this one where 'Sculptor' popped back to this forum after some absence and called my wack-job ness as 'legendary'!

NEW wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:17 amI have to add this highly subjective synchronization event as well. While I was working on this exact piece, the news spread that evidence showed that the entire universe was interconnected with each other (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCmAQz6E_rg), later on confirmed that the brain resembles much of the universe, trough a fungus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjnyuaQ3rvM)

You can imagine, I was pretty stunned, and pretty much ecstatic for a while ...
Hahaha - mate you should walk in my shoes where it comes to synchronicity - since 1997...actually - I wouldn't recommend it!

Yep - cool picture - is that drawn or is it actually cotton thread or something?

The thing about the interconnectedness of it all is something far more pro-found - indeed there is a 3rd party intelligence that projects our reality, is the construct to 'matter' - including YOUR BRAIN! Which means, our brains are like a database to this entity!

Sorry to have to hassle you here - but I like the fact that you are NEW - and you are honest. Would you mind commenting anything that you glean from this one - its still in progress - hence missing letters:-

VOWELS OF THE SAGE
NEW

Post by NEW »

Hey, it's made with a 3d pen, generating interactive point, lines, clusters/mass, ...

and as bonus thingy ...I was never very fond of painting on these rectangular thingy's called canvasses ...it's was always like it was created as a little box, where on you can express things, sure, as long as you keep within it's tiny box ...

and synchronicity ... lol I know it very well.

But unfortunately, for this very reason as well, I have to kindly decline your request around commenting around your picture (although I think I get it).
I hope you can understand.
I'm not dissing this, your work,
but due to some circumstances, and events that needs my attention, consider me pretty much useless towards assistance,

except of course, perhaps some advice (if needed): Just do your thing m8, if it's not harmful, and perhaps even helpful, needed, you have nothing to worry about.
You don't need me, or anyone, to make it work :-)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

NEW wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:18 am Hey, it's made with a 3d pen, generating interactive point, lines, clusters/mass, ...

and as bonus thingy ...I was never very fond of painting on these rectangular thingy's called canvasses ...it's was always like it was created as a little box, where on you can express things, sure, as long as you keep within it's tiny box ...

and synchronicity ... lol I know it very well.
A 3D pen? What the hell is that? Arn't all pens 3D :wink:
NEW wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:18 amBut unfortunately, for this very reason as well, I have to kindly decline your request around commenting around your picture (although I think I get it).
I hope you can understand.
I'm not dissing this, your work,
but due to some circumstances, and events that needs my attention, consider me pretty much useless towards assistance,

except of course, perhaps some advice (if needed): Just do your thing m8, if it's not harmful, and perhaps even helpful, needed, you have nothing to worry about.
You don't need me, or anyone, to make it work :-)
Yes, I know I don't need anyone, i'm just interested in how people are perceiving the pictures. Not sure if i truly consider what I am doing as 'art'.
NEW

Post by NEW »

Hey,

a 3D pen is like a pen, but unlike ink a substance pops out, that is able to generate 3d structures, just like a 3d printer really.

And yeah, I often wander around those questions myself, is it art? Sometimes I wander if it's even worthy of calling that, other times, like my synthesis so far, made trough art (UNity trough diversity), I wander around the question: can it be more then art, but also applied multidisciplinary?

Ooh well :)