any artists here that turned into philosophers (or the other way around)?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

NEW

Re: any artists here that turned into philosophers (or the other way around)?

Post by NEW »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:20 pm
Impenitent wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:51 am
Sculptor wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:46 pm ...
Aside from making sculptures of philosophers, and sculptures leaning towards history of philosophy , I think generally it is difficult to express philosophy artistically.
What would a sculpture look like that was based on the discussion between free will and determinism; or the challenge to the rationalists that the empiricists made?
a question for Duchamp...

-Imp
I think not. Duchamp can boil his head for all I care.
Can I ask you why this, rather harsh, statement?
Sure, you can not like his work according to one's taste,
diagree even,
But simply denial it's relevance and boil his head? The flying spaghetti monster already boiled for our sins
Isn't that enough? :lol:

'ramen :wink:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

NEW wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:32 am
Sculptor wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:20 pm
Impenitent wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:51 am

a question for Duchamp...

-Imp
I think not. Duchamp can boil his head for all I care.
Can I ask you why this, rather harsh, statement?
Sure, you can not like his work according to one's taste,
diagree even,
But simply denial it's relevance and boil his head? The flying spaghetti monster already boiled for our sins
Isn't that enough? :lol:

'ramen :wink:
There are good reasons why it would have been better for some people to never have acted, or been born. He is one example of such a person.
His contribution to art is negative. Interestingly enough the consequences of his contribution "The Fountain" was unintended. It was suppose to be a sort of joke - that any moron could drag a piece of junk out of a skip, sign it, and call it art. It was not originally intended as a bloody manifesto. It was an irony.
However, rather than, admit his joke he personally used the misunderstanding to exploit the art buying public by producing more garbage and portraying it as art.

Now, as long as you have the endorsement of a so-called "art critic", any one can offer any crap as art, and it will be bought. The "artist" does not even have to get his hands dirty, but simply direct art students, garbage men, or crafts men to do the real work for them.
NEW

Post by NEW »

What do you mean exactly?
any one can offer any crap as art, and it will be bought
this already happened you know? With cloaca, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSFe91XlwYQ

But what bothers you around this so much? Except you obviously don't like it of course.
Personal distaste/discontent for it does not qualify to boil one's head, nor qualifies it right to state it would have been better for some people to never have acted, or been born,
let alone disqualify it's relevance in art nevertheless your personal dis/like ...

Let me apply this with an example: the other day I was watching an ultra realist artist documentary. Although it's not my personal taste (far from it), I did watch it, became intrigued by it, and before you know it a new artwork represented itself, with inspiration partly thanks to this docu and artist life and work.

non / conceptual thinking, is a craft also, but it seems you really don't like it do you? :|
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

NEW wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:07 pm What do you mean exactly?
any one can offer any crap as art, and it will be bought
this already happened you know? With cloaca, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSFe91XlwYQ

But what bothers you around this so much? Except you obviously don't like it of course.
This have far more meaning and thought than The Fountain.
It's a step up from shit in a can for example.
https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/ma ... hit-t07667
Personal distaste/discontent for it does not qualify to boil one's head, nor qualifies it right to state it would have been better for some people to never have acted, or been born,
let alone disqualify it's relevance in art nevertheless your personal dis/like ...
Personal taste is now everything. You cannot chide me for wishing Duchamp to boil his own head (now that would be spectacular art), and them apply your own taste in denigrating my opinion.

Let me apply this with an example: the other day I was watching an ultra realist artist documentary. Although it's not my personal taste (far from it), I did watch it, became intrigued by it, and before you know it a new artwork represented itself, with inspiration partly thanks to this docu and artist life and work.
Obviously you learned something. What's your point?

non / conceptual thinking, is a craft also, but it seems you really don't like it do you? :|
Your point?
NEW

Post by NEW »

:o
my point?

You really can't help yourself can you?
Who, or what is it that you became this way? I really wonder around these things ...so bitter, so narrowminded, so angry, so ...bwuuuueeeeekkk :oops:

I wish you the best in your further life, with,no doubt, very open minded experiences,
with my upmost, and sincere compassion :cry:
attofishpi

Simulation or Divine Reality?

Post by attofishpi »

NEW wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 pm Are there by any chance artists here, that due to their work, sparked also their interest in philosophy?

Or perhaps the other way around, are there people here, mostly interested in philosophy, that also turned into artists, perhaps in an attempt to explain or visualize their work?

If so, and willing to tell stories around this, feel free to share them. :)
Don't worry about Chaz - he behaves like an old crone most of the time. He especially loves having his faith in atheism challenged by those that have gnosis - yes he loves my stuff. I wonder if he has sculpted Spinoza or Descartes?

So.

I think art and philosophy for me go hand in hand.

The below pieces I painted (an one accompanying poem) - they are to scale of places upon the globe.

I'd be interested in you initial take on them?

Ancasta

Ancasta
This star it shines upon
where it glistens still
where it feeds the soul a quest
to fulfill.
Enter the Test where the sol ent'ers
little child to question Wight.
Itchen to know this little mind
dispensed upon the earth rather blind.
Running through the chaos of time
knocked down and placed well out of line.
From here the child sees much more than they
and reluctant to return to their ridiculous fray.
So here it remains
here to stay
Why?
Why?
Y?
Well, let's take a punt
Cos it's shallow here
And the hEart of us
cares not.

DEAE ANCASTAE GEMINVS MANI VSLM

Natal

Mount Sinai

NEW

Post by NEW »

attofishpi wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:24 am
Don't worry about Chaz - he behaves like an old crone most of the time. He especially loves having his faith in atheism challenged by those that have gnosis - yes he loves my stuff. I wonder if he has sculpted Spinoza or Descartes?

So.

I think art and philosophy for me go hand in hand.

The below pieces I painted (an one accompanying poem) - they are to scale of places upon the globe.

I'd be interested in you initial take on them?
many thanks,

I won't worry about Chaz, and even more so, interested in seeing some of his work :-)

And many thanks for your input, and very interesting pieces.

I can't really say anything around your work,
except that they look very good at first sight.

Are they all based upon the shape of the region? And is your work mostly centered around this?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

NEW wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:23 pm :o
my point?

Who, or what is it that you became this way? I really wonder around these things ...so bitter, so narrowminded, so angry, so ...bwuuuueeeeekkk :oops:

I wish you the best in your further life, with,no doubt, very open minded experiences,
So, what was your point.
You tried to predict my taste and failed.
You want to see some of my work?

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/sculptor4764/art/
https://pin.it/1BNM2Ho

Are either of these visible to you?
NEW

Post by NEW »

Sculptor wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:38 pm
my point?

So, what was your point.

many thanks.

I failed? Don't you see it? The resemblance with Duchamp his work and yours?

There is really a hidden dada conceptualist in you after all, with much feeling, behind that "realist facade" :o
I just knew it ...

:lol:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

NEW wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:08 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:38 pm
my point?

So, what was your point.

many thanks.

I failed? Don't you see it? The resemblance with Duchamp his work and yours?

There is really a hidden dada conceptualist in you after all, with much feeling, behind that "realist facade" :o
I just knew it ...

:lol:
Do you like the way I focuses on the tree behind the elephant? VERY Avant garde.

This one is life size - a single piece of fired clay.
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/ae/55/bb/ae55 ... 828723.jpg
NEW

Post by NEW »

I was j/k, impressive work indeed!

Many thanks for sharing it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

NEW wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:06 pm I was j/k, impressive work indeed!

Many thanks for sharing it.
NP.
Thanks
Plenty more where they came from.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6d/cd/be ... 48a462.jpg
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Last one for now.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/93/70/e4 ... 686495.jpg

Inventing the Twentieth Century.

As many observer has recognised this Sculpture is a subversion of the American iconic and monumental sculpture carved into the living rock of Mount Rushmore, and depicting four of the USA's most prominent Presidents; Washington, Jefferson, Theo Roosevelt, and Lincoln.
Since its construction in the early 20thC Mount Rushmore has been parodied and used to represent the Fab Four; Indian Chiefs; heroes of Black American history; Deep Purple; and many more.

This example accepts the 20thC as the "American Century" in which the US became the dominant nation on earth, whilst suggesting four alternative characters from the 19thC that most influenced the intellectual climate of the 20th. So if the US were interested in thinking, these are the guys that ought to be on Mount Rushmore.

From left to right the we find Charles Darwin. Karl Marx, John Stuart Mill, and Friedrich Nietzsche.

Few would disagree with the massive impact had by the evolutionary theories of Darwin, the revolutions stimulated by Marxist ideas and the fact that Marx's economic theories are still used by the left and right to understand how capital works.
JS Mill's ideas are perhaps less well known, but no less important. He argued for the ideas of liberty, free speech, women's rights, and equality that have laid the basis for extending the vote to all, and the emancipation of slaves.
Nietzsche who looks towards the other three is the critic, the skeptic whose philosophy has provided an analytical, even nihilistic eye on all philosophies laying the ground for expressionism, postmodernism, individualism and egoism. He is probably most famous for his declaration that "God is Dead" and shares with the other three the position of Atheism: a fitting quartet for the Century that has been called "The Godless Century".
NEW

Post by NEW »

Sculptor wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 pm Last one for now.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/93/70/e4 ... 686495.jpg

Inventing the Twentieth Century.

As many observer has recognised this Sculpture is a subversion of the American iconic and monumental sculpture carved into the living rock of Mount Rushmore, and depicting four of the USA's most prominent Presidents; Washington, Jefferson, Theo Roosevelt, and Lincoln.
Since its construction in the early 20thC Mount Rushmore has been parodied and used to represent the Fab Four; Indian Chiefs; heroes of Black American history; Deep Purple; and many more.

This example accepts the 20thC as the "American Century" in which the US became the dominant nation on earth, whilst suggesting four alternative characters from the 19thC that most influenced the intellectual climate of the 20th. So if the US were interested in thinking, these are the guys that ought to be on Mount Rushmore.

From left to right the we find Charles Darwin. Karl Marx, John Stuart Mill, and Friedrich Nietzsche.

Few would disagree with the massive impact had by the evolutionary theories of Darwin, the revolutions stimulated by Marxist ideas and the fact that Marx's economic theories are still used by the left and right to understand how capital works.
JS Mill's ideas are perhaps less well known, but no less important. He argued for the ideas of liberty, free speech, women's rights, and equality that have laid the basis for extending the vote to all, and the emancipation of slaves.
Nietzsche who looks towards the other three is the critic, the skeptic whose philosophy has provided an analytical, even nihilistic eye on all philosophies laying the ground for expressionism, postmodernism, individualism and egoism. He is probably most famous for his declaration that "God is Dead" and shares with the other three the position of Atheism: a fitting quartet for the Century that has been called "The Godless Century".
wow, this one is a beauty! especially for this topic also :D

(is that little distance you put in between Nietzsche and the rest on purpose? ...beautiful little detail!)

beautifully carved also. (just like the rest of the pieces)
I can see why you put the emphasis on craftsmanship and technique, it shows, including very sensitive touches, full of feeling.
Many thanks for simply showing me wrong, you rascal! :D