Is Food Art?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bakhita

Is Food Art?

Post by Bakhita »

I'm interested to see opinions here. "It is commonly supposed that the idea of taste is only a metaphor and can be applied chiefly to choices one makes in the arts of sight and sound", so says William Fretter, but how many here would say that we can understand taste literally and allow food to have a place next to sculpting and opera.

And I don't mean taping a banana to a wall and selling it for $120k.
Impenitent

Re: Is Food Art?

Post by Impenitent »

food can be judged and valued as art is judged and valued...

some fish eggs are bait... some fish eggs are Beluga caviar...

wines are the same way...

-Imp
Bakhita

Post by Bakhita »

Is this what art is, then? Judgement and value? And anything which can be judged and valued can be considered art?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Yes.
Bakhita

Post by Bakhita »

bahman wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:46 pmYes.
"Yes, food is art" or "Yes, art is value judgement"?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Bakhita wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:33 pm
bahman wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:46 pmYes.
"Yes, food is art" or "Yes, art is value judgement"?
Two yes. Making food is art. Art is a sort of value judgment based on our nature.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Bakhita wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:15 pm I'm interested to see opinions here. "It is commonly supposed that the idea of taste is only a metaphor and can be applied chiefly to choices one makes in the arts of sight and sound", so says William Fretter, but how many here would say that we can understand taste literally and allow food to have a place next to sculpting and opera.

food is not art, its fuel, and taste.

for those without descent tastebuds (and one's taste is a matter of genetics - some have better taste than others) they only understand the fuel nature of food.

for the rest of us, we understand and appreciate good food from pap, and so value taste and flavor.

and so in conclusion, i think food is both fuel and taste, but is not art in any way.

p.s.

being a good cook is a talent, just like being a good artist.
Last edited by gaffo on Sat May 02, 2020 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Bakhita wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:31 pm Is this what art is, then? Judgement and value? And anything which can be judged and valued can be considered art?
yes that is art, as well as food - both are judged, but food is not art.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Bakhita wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:15 pm I'm interested to see opinions here. "It is commonly supposed that the idea of taste is only a metaphor and can be applied chiefly to choices one makes in the arts of sight and sound", so says William Fretter, but how many here would say that we can understand taste literally and allow food to have a place next to sculpting and opera.

Bakhita,

Food can be an art, for what is art but experience, an experience created through the skill/s of someone who has devoted themselves to the craft of creating an experience. The experience may be varied and/or informing, an enlightening of another subject into to a realm not previously appreciated. In this way art informs, opening the conscious awareness that captain Kirk can go where no captain has gone before. Obviously, the artist is creating a very special experience, I would say food fits in here very nicely.
Veganman

Post by Veganman »

I remember an art class where a naked female model was covered with several different fruits. So I guess that in a sense this was a form of food art, even though it seemed more like erotica at the time! Lol.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

A gift of food is a gift of life, easily forgotten when one lives in a wealthy culture/country. No doubt, there are some profound inferences to made of the relation to the human psyche to food and as an expression in art. In some sense, the need of a man for women is food for his psyche and reciprocally for the women, as two aspects of one thing.
Magnus Anderson

Post by Magnus Anderson »

Bakhita wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:31 pm Is this what art is, then? Judgement and value? And anything which can be judged and valued can be considered art?
If art is anything that is assessed for its value, then pretty much everything is art. And I'm pretty sure you will agree that's not the case. My surgeon is not a piece of art even though I find him valuable. His services -- those of surgery -- aren't art even though I find them helpful. Medicines, vaccines, etc aren't either. My wife isn't art even though she's very valuable to me. Science books, forums, journals, etc aren't art even though I find them useful. And so on.

As far as your question is concerned, I'd say that food is not art. The reason for this is because "art" means "a device that assists engagement in surrogate activities via imagination". A surrogate activity is an activity that one engages in as a substitute for some real activity that they have no access to for any reasons. That's what sculptures, novels, operas, music, poetry, paintings, movies, etc are all about. Games fall in this category as well (board games, sports, video games, etc.) But food?