What is impression?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

What is impression?

Post by bahman »

Impression is an experience related to having a sense aligned with what we observe. For example we feel a sense of beauty when we look at a picture. The question is how the sense of beauty gets aligned with the experience of the picture.
planetlonely23

Re: What is impression?

Post by planetlonely23 »

bahman wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:21 am Impression is an experience related to having a sense aligned with what we observe. For example we feel a sense of beauty when we look at a picture. The question is how the sense of beauty gets aligned with the experience of the picture.
The pictorial lines express beauty and plasticity at the same time in the practical sense of finding the ideal way to see a outcome but if you look at the beauty as an abstract way, they are only aligned to the form of the drawing in a visual and mental way, without having in Practical outcome of the line, I think.
bahman

Post by bahman »

planetlonely23 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:50 pm
bahman wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:21 am Impression is an experience related to having a sense aligned with what we observe. For example we feel a sense of beauty when we look at a picture. The question is how the sense of beauty gets aligned with the experience of the picture.
The pictorial lines express beauty and plasticity at the same time in the practical sense of finding the ideal way to see a outcome but if you look at the beauty as an abstract way, they are only aligned to the form of the drawing in a visual and mental way, without having in Practical outcome of the line, I think.
The reality is that the what persons experience have layers, shape of object, sense of beauty etc. Sense of beauty get aligned with shape of object when we look at reality and say it is beautiful. The alignment is the result of how our brains are structured.
planetlonely23

Post by planetlonely23 »

bahman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:25 pm
The reality is that the what persons experience have layers, shape of object, sense of beauty etc. Sense of beauty get aligned with shape of object when we look at reality and say it is beautiful. The alignment is the result of how our brains are structured.
If you visualize the picture from different angles le perspective change and the structure of the alignment too, that is because of the optical failure from our sight, but that is what our brain reflect (neuron signals), but if we talk about the impression that our brain understand from that angle in a abstract way I think we obtain the emotions in contrast with the space, that is a mix of conceptual understanding with the feelings related with our brain when is aware of instant moment.
bahman

Post by bahman »

planetlonely23 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:58 am
bahman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:25 pm
If you visualize the picture from different angles le perspective change and the structure of the alignment too, that is because of the optical failure from our sight, but that is what our brain reflect (neuron signals), but if we talk about the impression that our brain understand from that angle in a abstract way I think we obtain the emotions in contrast with the space, that is a mix of conceptual understanding with the feelings related with our brain when is aware of instant moment.
I think so.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

bahman
Impression is an experience related to having a sense aligned with what we observe. For example we feel a sense of beauty when we look at a picture. The question is how the sense of beauty gets aligned with the experience of the picture.
But what is an impression? It is momentary, and not deliberative in nature. This can be taken as a freedom from discursive thought and freedom from concept, that is, some drawn out intention of what something should be; a freedom from imposing standards of assessment, from critique. An impression is just that: the moment out of context.

Monet once said he wished he could go blind, just to acquire sight for the first time and be an authentic witness to things' impressions. It is a sense of liberation he sought, from interfering interpretations, as if to know what a thing visually is, is to steal away the value of its being there, plainly. I think there is something to this, but it is not the visual presence, but presence itself that is intriguing. For we don't live in the present, as a rule. We live thick in interpretation, endlessly carrying the past into the future, only rarely stopping to notice the present. And when we do, the world changes.

As to beauty: when one escapes the burden places upon the present by the past, and one is not processing the present moment AS something else, then beauty comes forth. I disagree that beauty rises out of the form imposed on a thing by the structure of the thought that beholds it. Something one finds in Schiller and Kant. Rather, beauty comes in the world through us when we are free of reason and the imposition it places upon things. We are, beneath it all, in our most genuine self, profoundly beautiful; but this is only seen when the self is permitted to show itself.
bahman

Post by bahman »

odysseus wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:59 pm
bahman
But what is an impression? It is momentary, and not deliberative in nature. This can be taken as a freedom from discursive thought and freedom from concept, that is, some drawn out intention of what something should be; a freedom from imposing standards of assessment, from critique. An impression is just that: the moment out of context.

Monet once said he wished he could go blind, just to acquire sight for the first time and be an authentic witness to things' impressions. It is a sense of liberation he sought, from interfering interpretations, as if to know what a thing visually is, is to steal away the value of its being there, plainly. I think there is something to this, but it is not the visual presence, but presence itself that is intriguing. For we don't live in the present, as a rule. We live thick in interpretation, endlessly carrying the past into the future, only rarely stopping to notice the present. And when we do, the world changes.

As to beauty: when one escapes the burden places upon the present by the past, and one is not processing the present moment AS something else, then beauty comes forth. I disagree that beauty rises out of the form imposed on a thing by the structure of the thought that beholds it. Something one finds in Schiller and Kant. Rather, beauty comes in the world through us when we are free of reason and the imposition it places upon things. We are, beneath it all, in our most genuine self, profoundly beautiful; but this is only seen when the self is permitted to show itself.
The sense of beauty is of course something mental and it is partly related to our genetics. There is no beauty in a painting. This sense is activated and get aligned with context when we observe a specific object.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

The impression is replication of what the senses pick up, it is not the thing itself but the production of sensory information plus the processes of the understanding. I think impressionism is an experiment that might show you what might be an impression of a differing biology. A muted scene of a meadow in colors that are not to be found in the nature of a meadow, but like the real meadow, the colors of the impressionistic scene work together to produce the beautiful. It could be argued that apparent reality is but an impression, not the ultimate reality that is out there but what is a biological readout which includes sensory information and understanding.
Annette Campbell

Post by Annette Campbell »

What exactly is the impression? It is impulsive rather than deliberate. This might be interpreted as a liberation from discursive thought and concept, that is, a drawn-out purpose of what something ought to be; freedom from imposing assessment standards, from criticism. An impression is simply a snapshot of a moment taken out of context. Monet once expressed his desire to go blind to experience things firsthand and be an honest witness to their impressions. He was looking for a sense of freedom from intrusive interpretations as if knowing what something visually is taken away the value of it simply being there. I believe there's something to it, but it is the presence itself, not the visible presence, that intrigues me. We don't normally live in the present. We live in a constant state of interpretation, bringing history into the future and rarely noticing the present. And the world changes when we do. When it comes to beauty, it emerges when one is free of the burden placed on the now by the past, and when one is not digesting the current moment AS something else. I disagree that elegance emerges from the shape placed on a thing by structure of the thinking that observes it. Something that Schiller and Kant both have. Rather, we bring beauty into the world by being beautiful.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Annette,

Welcome, an EXCELLENT POST!!!