No
No votes
I don't know
50%

Total votes: 4

Philosophy Explorer

The good old days

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I relate to pop rock genre from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

A frequent comment from those videos is that the music of today (meaning the 90's and beyond) isn't as good as that era. The "rap crap" style is often mentioned.

I'm happy with my era. Still it may be interesting to compare eras and see where we went wrong and right and what the trend is.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
Greta

Re: The good old days

Post by Greta »

Sometime in the 1980s, around the Gordon Gecko "greed is good" period, the MUSIC business turned into the music BUSINESS.

Now good music does not come to you via the pop scene as it once did, rather enthusiasts have to search for it.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: ↑Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:42 am Sometime in the 1980s, around the Gordon Gecko "greed is good" period, the MUSIC business turned into the music BUSINESS.

Now good music does not come to you via the pop scene as it once did, rather enthusiasts have to search for it.
I suggest ready-made searches in almost all university and college websites. A big one and which is my favourite is CBC's "nightstream", a daily music show from 12 midnight to 6 am EST (GMT -5, both daylight savings and regular).
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

I'd have thought that beyond the 80's and before the 90's were the same thing?
p.s.
Please add, 'Don't care' to your future polls.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:44 pm ...compare eras ... you also need to compare Eros.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
Music is not simply music. It is always an inseparable accouterments to a movement, to a mood, to a person's daydream, about love, about religion, about revolution, about war, about sadness.

Thus, new music is adopted (not adapted) by the new people, and they establish an identity via including music.

This was strongly felt in the sixties, what with the Viet Nam war in the USA, and the sexual revolution in other parts of the free world. But it was strongly felt in other eras in history; communists loved their marches, as much as the Nazis did; and I participated in communist marches as a kid, back in Hungary, and I tell you, that music raised your spirit. I talked to an athlete, expat of Hungary, and he said before a high-jump (with which he won local competitions) he would gear up at the starting spot with humming communist marches.

So to say that this music is better or that, it is highly individualistic not only because beauty lies in the eye of the cup-holder, but also because "our music" always sounds by bias much nicer than "their music".

If the "our music" phenomenon was not there, there would never be any new music. But there is.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Arising_uk wrote: ↑Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:48 pm I'd have thought that beyond the 80's and before the 90's were the same thing?
Can't be. Beyond the 80s excludes everything before jan 1 1990, and before the 90s excludes everything including and after jan 1 1990.

The two periods are each an infinitely long time span, one with ending, the other with starting at two adjacent points in time.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Please also add "maybe", "perhaps", "all of the above", "none of the above", "same as before", "opposite to what -1- voted", and "some of the above" to your polls.
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote: ↑Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:48 pm I'd have thought that beyond the 80's and before the 90's were the same thing?
p.s.
Please add, 'Don't care' to your future polls.
You can always do your own threads if you think it's that important.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

The 60's: Creativity started to blossom. The Beatles were the ultimate expression, but there were also others.

The 70's: Creativity exploded. The ultimate era of music ever.

The 80's: Creativity became absurd.

The 90's Creativity came back from absurdity, but slowly became sold out. 99% of all possible good songs were released prior to 2000.

The 00's: A few good songs.

The 10's: Very very few good songs.

Soon:

The 20's: A single truly good song will be worth trillions! Music is exhausted...

Tombstone:

Here Rests Truly Good Music

1960 - 2010

R.I.P.
Last edited by QuantumT on Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

"Beyond the 80s" is both before and after the 90s. I think I know what you're trying to say, but I don't believe there really were music videos before the 80s.
Philosophy Explorer

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:07 am "Beyond the 80s" is both before and after the 90s. I think I know what you're trying to say, but I don't believe there really were music videos before the 80s.
In the 70's, the Beatles sent over their promo on Paperback Writer which I regard as a video.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
You can always do your own threads if you think it's that important.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
I really shouldn't add the trivial as it allows you to avoid the substantive. :roll:
Philosophy Explorer

As an additional note, the video was made in 1966.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

What do you mean 'beyond the 80s'? Which way?

Meh. I have no opinion one way or the other. I am nostalgic for older ones though, though I might just as easily giggle at the fashions too.
Philosophy Explorer

Dalek Prime wrote: ↑Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:33 am What do you mean 'beyond the 80s'? Which way?

Meh. I have no opinion one way or the other. I am nostalgic for older ones though, though I might just as easily giggle at the fashions too.
The 90's, 2000 to 2009, 2010 to present.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²