No votes
I don't know
50%

Total votes: 4

Dalek Prime

Re: The good old days

Post by Dalek Prime »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:52 am
Dalek Prime wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:33 am What do you mean 'beyond the 80s'? Which way?

Meh. I have no opinion one way or the other. I am nostalgic for older ones though, though I might just as easily giggle at the fashions too.
The 90's, 2000 to 2009, 2010 to present.

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Otay.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Per "rock" i think the late 60's/early 70s were tops (Doors/america/CSN&Y,Beatles, supertrap) - i.e. "hippy music" - where prociency of playing instruments mattered (shout out to Sweetwater here - too bad about lead singer getting hit by car/lossing her voice before they "got big").

Not a "baby boomer" -but a genx er with an older sister and uncle to know/hear of those late 60s/early 70'a rockers and like the better ones as a little kid.

unlike the older babyboomers - was not fixated on hating newer stuff............and after suffering "Disco" and later 80's new wave crap and dance crap (Mike Jackson) - but noting two or three worthy 80's era Rock when rock nearly died - u2/rem/black crows.................I LOVED IT when Alternative Rock rebirthed rock.

Juianna Hatfield, Throwing Muses, Veruca Salt, Tragically Hip, Nada surf, Kula Shaker, - 90 era rockers in the full tradition of the 60/70's ones.....................but it pissed me off than all the older babyboomers never gave the "Alternative" rockers a liston - stuck in "Freebird mindset".

then rap too over all and rock died utterly by mid 90s ;-(.

today we are left with only a few modern rockers not played on radio nor known much (though good). white Dinem/Black Mountian come to mind.

rock is dead sadly ;-(.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Greta wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:42 am Sometime in the 1980s, around the Gordon Gecko "greed is good" period, the MUSIC business turned into the music BUSINESS.

Now good music does not come to you via the pop scene as it once did, rather enthusiasts have to search for it.
yes!
alternative from late 80s to mid 90's was a return to rock roots.

the rap took over all ;-(.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

shoot me please for not mentioning Tacocat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gD--HRRUXg

good stuff (if not stuck on "freebird") and willing to listen.
Greta

Post by Greta »

gaffo wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:13 am shoot me please for not mentioning Tacocat:

I actually prefer hip hop to punk, but more keen on jazzy/proggy musics, which of course were hugely diminished in the rush for bucks and all the "back to the roots" stuff.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Greta wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:41 am
gaffo wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:13 am shoot me please for not mentioning Tacocat:

I actually prefer hip hop to punk, but more keen on jazzy/proggy musics, which of course were hugely diminished in the rush for bucks and all the "back to the roots" stuff.
Hiphop? as in 50's type stuff.

i like that fluff myself. insipid at times but i like. fan of Brewer and whats here name? .damn i suck with rem names............."whos sorry now" gal.

i always loved 40's music too - glen miller/Boswell sisters/Andrew sisters ("one meatball" is a great laugh/song BTW) - not many "radio stations" that still play 40's era music "1940's UK Radio" is the only "internet radio station" i know of that still does (I have a Grace WiFi tabletop "radio" and listion to such stations myself).

as for Prog, always like early YES and even morso Gabriel era Genesis - Nursury Grimes/Selling England by the Pound run circles around pop era Genesis pap IMO.
Last edited by gaffo on Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

rem now.

connie francis.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

BTW the used to be (still?) a great "radio station" - ancientFM - internet "Radiostation" that play midieavil elizabethan music.

good stuff. lutes and other wierd instruments. 14/15th cent stuff.
Last edited by gaffo on Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

gaffo

Post by gaffo »

this one is a good "radiostation" too:

http://roswellbooks.com/radio/
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

https://gracedigital.com/shop/victoria-nostalgic

i love my grace. she is made of real wood and has wonderful sound quality too.

I've got a the Grace Tuner for my "big sound system" too, but find myself using the tabletop more

https://gracedigital.com/shop/tuner

I don't have a cellphone nor smartphone - no interest in such baubles.

I don't like talking too much, i value speaking when it is important, and so face to face.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

if you like "bebop" check this "radiostation" out:

https://vietnamvetradio.com

another fav of mine.

ok i'm out of here. late time for bed/sleep.

peace Madam.
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

Greta wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:42 am Sometime in the 1980s, around the Gordon Gecko "greed is good" period, the MUSIC business turned into the music BUSINESS.

Now good music does not come to you via the pop scene as it once did, rather enthusiasts have to search for it.
Spot on. The accountants saw the money and moved in. Such a shame.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:44 pm I relate to pop rock genre from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

A frequent comment from those videos is that the music of today (meaning the 90's and beyond) isn't as good as that era. The "rap crap" style is often mentioned.

I'm happy with my era. Still it may be interesting to compare eras and see where we went wrong and right and what the trend is.

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
as an 80's kid all my buddies watched MTV - ie. the era of the moon lander planting MTV flag on the moon wiht the guitar riff.

then as now thought - music is to be heard not watched, never "Watched music" in the 80's when everyone else i knew did, nor now.

i be apt, i honestly do not think i've seen a music video ever all the way through - maybe via YT 30 yrs later - 5 yrs ago? one or two? at most?

really.

I watch movies, and llsten to albums.

never the reverse.