There is no art or beauty

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RustyBert
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by RustyBert » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:17 pm

QuantumT wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 pm
Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

Just because many people agree on the same perception, does not make it real. Just popular.
Do you exist? Just because a bunch of people reply to your post doesn't mean you exist, just that you're kinda popular. ;)

User avatar
QuantumT
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:45 pm
Contact:

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by QuantumT » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:13 pm

RustyBert wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:17 pm
Do you exist? Just because a bunch of people reply to your post doesn't mean you exist, just that you're kinda popular. ;)
Popular? Me? HAH!!! That'll be the day! :mrgreen:

I exist as a virtual construct, not as actual matter. But does it matter how we exist? It changes nothing, expect (maybe) knowing...

User avatar
Dontaskme
Posts: 6122
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm
Location: Nowhere

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by Dontaskme » Mon May 13, 2019 7:55 am

QuantumT wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 6:08 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:46 am
I would say that to say there is no art and beauty is self defeating because you must have an idea as to what it is in the first place before you can say it doesn't exist and ideas do exist in the mind where it counts the most so it doesn't matter if art and beauty have an actual physical existence or not as that would be irrelevant. The fact that art and beauty coincide for many people is a happy coincidence.

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
So it exists the same way as Donald Duck, kinda :mrgreen:
Any 'thing' (object) that can be 'thought' about (imagined) exists, as the 'thought' dictates.

''thought'' superimposes a 'thing' upon the imageless screen of Consciousness...prior to 'thought' there is no 'thing' here/there...just this silent not-knowing present Consciousness without doubt or error, manifesting all at once without division as this direct(unknown knowing)

''Thought'' separates, albeit illusory, since there is no 'thing' thinking ..all 'thinkers' are invisible 'thoughts' empty to the core, magically appearing as full...aka as ''some thing'' ... This is a magic show, the trickless trick of Imageless Consciousness appearing as an image..to itself only, there is no other Consciousness.

Does a 'human person' exist? Yes, as a 'thought' (imaged)
Same goes for a 'unicorn', a 'unicorn' exists as a 'thought' (imaged)
'Art' and 'Beauty' are 'thoughts' too..so they exist as 'thoughts'.
There is no difference between one 'thought' and another 'thought' because all 'thoughts' are sourced in the same Imageless Consciousness only appearing as difference where there is none...because it's all the same Consciousness creating the appearance of difference.

Consciousness is unknowable even to itself because it's only and ever one with itself always...there is nothing in or outside of Consciousness that is not more Consciousness ..therefore it cannot get a peek up it's own skirt no more than the eyeball can look itself...there is only seamless Consciousness, no edge or boundary, boundlessly free infinitely and totally groundless empty to the core like the sky. A 'human person'' therefore, is literally made out of the exact same thing which it is standing in..aka empty sky which is not a thing..the paradox of thought, is the magic trick of Consciousness itself.

In truth there is no actual conceptual thing in and of itself existing independant of Consciousness because reality is all the same Imageless Consciousness projecting itself as imagined/imaged.







.

Walker
Posts: 6678
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by Walker » Tue May 14, 2019 7:44 pm

Joni Mitchell-Edith and the Kingpin (1975) Quadraphonic! Version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O8zRBb ... YF&index=3

*

This is both artful and beautiful.
Why do you think that is?

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4060
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by Harbal » Tue May 14, 2019 8:28 pm

QuantumT wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 pm
Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

Just because many people agree on the same perception, does not make it real. Just popular.
That is a valid point of view, but then you have to apply it to everything, not just art and beauty.

Dubious
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by Dubious » Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 pm

Perception is a matter of degree and requires fine-tuning. Being half blind means you can only half see.

gaffo
Posts: 2354
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by gaffo » Thu May 16, 2019 6:11 am

QuantumT wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 pm
Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

Just because many people agree on the same perception, does not make it real. Just popular.
if you say so.

as for me, i ignore culture/majority - and know art/beauty when i see it.

Walker
Posts: 6678
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by Walker » Fri May 17, 2019 2:33 pm

QuantumT wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 pm
Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

Just because many people agree on the same perception, does not make it real. Just popular.
Doesn’t experience get into the DNA? When the experience is universal then the DNA is affected for all, creating a real condition of agreement.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... redirect=1


Commentary: For most of human history folks were warmed by open fire. The emotional experience of warmth-by-campfire got imprinted into the DNA of all humans, and this is what shaped the campfire perceptions of future generations into what can be defined as a biological, primal recognition common to all when experiencing campfire … as opposed to a random, subjective preference that varies willy-nilly amongst individuals.

What works for campfires should work for other primal recognitions commonly shared.

*

haiku

where firelight meets night
glowing eyes patiently wait
the first embers dim

Walker
Posts: 6678
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by Walker » Sun May 19, 2019 12:16 pm

Anything can be artful if well-done.

Artful satire.

MOBA
Museum of bad art.
http://museumofbadart.org/collections/

gaffo
Posts: 2354
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by gaffo » Thu May 23, 2019 2:48 am

QuantumT wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 pm
Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

Just because many people agree on the same perception, does not make it real. Just popular.
actually is instinct, like everything else.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest