There is no art or beauty

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
QuantumT
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:45 pm
Contact:

There is no art or beauty

Post by QuantumT » Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 pm

Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

Just because many people agree on the same perception, does not make it real. Just popular.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8071
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun May 20, 2018 3:00 am

Actually it's physics, like everything else.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun May 20, 2018 4:46 am

QuantumT wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 pm
Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

Just because many people agree on the same perception, does not make it real. Just popular.
I would say that to say there is no art and beauty is self defeating because you must have an idea as to what it is in the first place before you can say it doesn't exist and ideas do exist in the mind where it counts the most so it doesn't matter if art and beauty have an actual physical existence or not as that would be irrelevant. The fact that art and beauty coincide for many people is a happy coincidence.

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸

Walker
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by Walker » Sun May 20, 2018 9:20 am

QuantumT wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 pm
Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

Just because many people agree on the same perception, does not make it real. Just popular.
The golden ratio accounts for objective beauty, and good photographic composition is rooted in proportionality.

User avatar
QuantumT
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:45 pm
Contact:

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by QuantumT » Sun May 20, 2018 6:08 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:46 am
I would say that to say there is no art and beauty is self defeating because you must have an idea as to what it is in the first place before you can say it doesn't exist and ideas do exist in the mind where it counts the most so it doesn't matter if art and beauty have an actual physical existence or not as that would be irrelevant. The fact that art and beauty coincide for many people is a happy coincidence.

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
So it exists the same way as Donald Duck, kinda :mrgreen:

User avatar
bahman
Posts: 2082
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by bahman » Wed May 23, 2018 2:49 pm

QuantumT wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 pm
Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

Just because many people agree on the same perception, does not make it real. Just popular.
Art is a mental activity. Beauty is a property of experience.

duszek
Posts: 2250
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm
Location: Thin Air

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by duszek » Wed May 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Beauty is an interpretation of a physical perception.

Beauty is a concept attached to a physical perception.

(best of duszek so far)

Skip
Posts: 2551
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by Skip » Fri May 25, 2018 3:45 am

There are many kinds of beauty and many kinds of art, and the two don't necessarily coincide in any of their variations.
When they do, it's a pleasant but ephemeral experience for the viewer.
When they diverge - as when art is not beautiful, and beauty is not artificial - the experience has a lasting effect, from the profoundly troubling to the sublime, and the viewer is changed by that experience.

Oh, yes, they exist, and they're both far more significant to the human mind than most of us realize.

User avatar
HexHammer
Posts: 3213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by HexHammer » Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 pm

QuantumT wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 pm
Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

Just because many people agree on the same perception, does not make it real. Just popular.
Yawn, you are a babblehead!

User avatar
QuantumT
Posts: 662
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:45 pm
Contact:

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by QuantumT » Fri May 25, 2018 9:02 pm

HexHammer wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 pm
Yawn, you are a babblehead!
Flet næbet kloge Åge, hvis du ikke har et bidrag til emnet :P

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 3254
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by attofishpi » Sat May 26, 2018 9:25 am

QuantumT wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 pm
Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

Just because many people agree on the same perception, does not make it real. Just popular.
Let me just kill your thread for you.

If, as you say art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder, then do you disagree that the eyes of the beholder are perceiving reality?

Since it - art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder - then it stands to reason, that art and beauty exist.

Walker
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by Walker » Sat May 26, 2018 9:33 am

attofishpi wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:25 am
QuantumT wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 pm
Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

Just because many people agree on the same perception, does not make it real. Just popular.
Let me just kill your thread for you.

If, as you say art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder, then do you disagree that the eyes of the beholder are perceiving reality?

Since it - art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder - then it stands to reason, that art and beauty exist.
Since logs are also in the eye of the beholder, are logs art?

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 3254
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by attofishpi » Sat May 26, 2018 10:22 am

Walker wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:33 am
attofishpi wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:25 am
QuantumT wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 pm
Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

Just because many people agree on the same perception, does not make it real. Just popular.
Let me just kill your thread for you.

If, as you say art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder, then do you disagree that the eyes of the beholder are perceiving reality?

Since it - art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder - then it stands to reason, that art and beauty exist.
Since logs are also in the eye of the beholder, are logs art?
...LOG_I_C

..i doubt you understand.

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 3254
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by attofishpi » Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 am

...FO_REST

..i still doubt u understand.

User avatar
HexHammer
Posts: 3213
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by HexHammer » Sat May 26, 2018 10:49 am

QuantumT wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:02 pm
HexHammer wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 pm
Yawn, you are a babblehead!
Flet næbet kloge Åge, hvis du ikke har et bidrag til emnet :P
My contribution is that to make you pollute this forum less with completely irrelevant nonsense.

I try to make you see your err, and thus make actual philosophy.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests