Great Works of Art

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Great Works of Art

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:39 am Although I can sympathize with the excitement over discovering a shared deficiency in comprehension, it’s rather curious that any affectionado might find fine design and technique in the imitation while denying the same in the original.
Just stop it now, Walker, it's not funny anymore.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Harbal wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:57 pm
Walker wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:39 am Although I can sympathize with the excitement over discovering a shared deficiency in comprehension, it’s rather curious that any affectionado might find fine design and technique in the imitation while denying the same in the original.
Wrong thread Harb.

PhilX 🇺🇸
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:41 pm That hand pressing into the flesh. Staggering really.
One wonders how much experience the artist has had with that reality?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:37 pm
Harbal wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:57 pm
Wrong thread Harb.

PhilX 🇺🇸
But still true.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Walker wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:39 am...it’s rather curious that any affectionado might find fine design and technique in the imitation while denying the same in the original.
Not to anyone who understands the limitations of the teleological argument. You can believe it all you like, but there is logical connection between your knowledge that a grope in marble was sculpted by an artist, and your belief that a grope in the flesh was created by some almighty artist.

Anyway. One of my favourite paintings is The Steadfast Philosopher, by Gerrit van Hondhorst. Anyone interested can view it here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... dhorst.jpg But I have no idea how to upload it.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Your critique of The Steadfast Philosopher?

uwot

Post by uwot »

Ah! Thank you, Walker.
Walker wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:47 pm Your critique of The Steadfast Philosopher?
He's a lot more steadfast than me.
Walker

Post by Walker »

I don’t recall ever seeing it before. It brings to mind a sad tune that may explain the mind of that steadfast fellow. This philosopher could be done with distractions from the real, up there on the summit where the horizon is broader than broad. Could also be a historical caution for youth from the age of home remedies.
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

Some of my favorite Dalí's:

Slave Market with the Disappearing Bust of Voltaire

Old Age, Adolescence, and Infancy (The Three Ages)

The Hallucinogenic Toreador

Christ of Saint John of the Cross

The Persistence of Memory

Daddy Longlegs of the Evening-Hope!

The Metamorphosis of Narcissus

Dalí Atomicus