Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6307
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:21 am

Arising_uk wrote:Where did I say anything against any of this?

Where do I say that there are heroes in war?

Where do I say anywhere that war is not hell and that women and children don't generally get the worst of it? The rape of the German women was a heinous war-crime.

But forced to choose between the Axis and the Allies I'd choose the Allies and forced to choose between the Americans and the Soviets I'd choose the Americans.

Feel free to make your own decision.
Huh. Well those who ended up under Stalin didn't have much of a choice did they? You don't seem to have much of a problem with your grandfather's moronic comment about Dresden. And why do you think the yanks are so great? Because they speak the same language (just)? They are the biggest shit-stirrers in the world today.

Walker
Posts: 4098
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

Post by Walker » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:25 am

Throng wrote:Forming word pictures might have been more of a relevant artform in popular music lyrics before 'video killed the radio star', so to speak. As MTV's early slogan put it, "You'll never look at music the same way again," and the video/song may have impacted upon pictorial lyricism.
Maybe. Could also be the age of word pictures. People read a lot, usually on their communicators. Lots of short messages, like word pictures. Artists of Dylan's capacity are often precursors.

Whitmanesque
http://bobdylan.com/songs/hard-rains-gonna-fall/

Sounds like Clinton when he "sings" the word hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ex-m-eEKsg

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6307
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:38 am

Arising_uk wrote:Where did I say anything against any of this?

Where do I say that there are heroes in war?

Where do I say anywhere that war is not hell and that women and children don't generally get the worst of it? The rape of the German women was a heinous war-crime.

But forced to choose between the Axis and the Allies I'd choose the Allies and forced to choose between the Americans and the Soviets I'd choose the Americans.

Feel free to make your own decision.
And I seem to recall that your own British Empire was hell-bent on conquering the planet and committing genocide wherever it went. I suppose that doesn't count, because you are 'goodies' :lol: :lol:

Walker
Posts: 4098
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

Post by Walker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:30 am

Bob Dylan’s Silence on Nobel Prize Is Called ‘Impolite and Arrogant’ by Academy Member
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/23/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

Where is this going and what are the reasons? Dynamite?

- Ignore the honor and the cash.
- Ignore the honor, accept the cash.
- Ignore the cash, accept the honor.
- Accept the honor and the cash.

Modern post-modern acceptance speech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guc-8R1bYVg

thedoc
Posts: 6337
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

Post by thedoc » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:33 pm

Walker wrote:Bob Dylan’s Silence on Nobel Prize Is Called ‘Impolite and Arrogant’ by Academy Member.
What does the committee member expect, that the announced recipient gush at the announcement that they were being considered for a prize that is becoming more and more irrelevant. As far as I know The committee is not required to give a prize in each category every year, If no-one has done anything in one particular subject worthy of a prize, they should just skip it and see what happens next year.

Walker
Posts: 4098
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

Post by Walker » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:14 am

thedoc wrote:
Walker wrote:Bob Dylan’s Silence on Nobel Prize Is Called ‘Impolite and Arrogant’ by Academy Member.
What does the committee member expect, that the announced recipient gush at the announcement that they were being considered for a prize that is becoming more and more irrelevant. As far as I know The committee is not required to give a prize in each category every year, If no-one has done anything in one particular subject worthy of a prize, they should just skip it and see what happens next year.
Good idea. Roll it over.

I read somewhere that someone said he was appreciative and would certainly make it there to accept in person if there was no scheduling conflict, then he said there was a conflict and can't make the ceremony but is appreciative of the award, but I don't know the exact wording of that, since it's all rumor. But there is a stipulation. After acceptance of the award, the honored one must give a public lecture within 60 days, I think it is. This is rarely waived, once for illness, once for a social phobia, and once or twice for something else.

Paul Simon - The Afterlife
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQzSMvNMvBY
After I died, and the make up had dried, I went back to my place.
No moon that night, but a heavenly light shone on my face.
Still I thought it was odd, there was no sign of God just to usher me in.
Then a voice from above, sugar coated with Love, said, "Let us begin".

You got to fill out a form first, and then you wait in the line.
You got to fill out a form first, and then you wait in the line.

thedoc
Posts: 6337
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

Post by thedoc » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:07 pm

Walker wrote: Good idea. Roll it over.

I read somewhere that someone said he was appreciative and would certainly make it there to accept in person if there was no scheduling conflict, then he said there was a conflict and can't make the ceremony but is appreciative of the award, but I don't know the exact wording of that, since it's all rumor. But there is a stipulation. After acceptance of the award, the honored one must give a public lecture within 60 days, I think it is. This is rarely waived, once for illness, once for a social phobia, and once or twice for something else.
But what if the recipient has never given a lecture? Does a concert count?

Walker
Posts: 4098
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

Post by Walker » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:19 pm

thedoc wrote:But what if the recipient has never given a lecture? Does a concert count?
Well off the top, that’s another great idea. As a favor to the institution and posterity, with his entertainment contacts Dylan could wall-to wall the Swedish stage with a giant screen. Hi-def. Broadcast from a nice climate, and smile closeup (or not). Tell the world how and why. Call it a lecture. People would listen. His past words have been validated by internal authority everywhere. The digital broadcast to the free world would benefit all, maybe some thoughts would leap the China firewall and in turn inspire adapted forms of principles that Dylan discovered and adapted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWrplk84x-E

From the sounds of things the USofA ain't appreciated in the world. In certain times and places folks are downright hostile. A Dylan video lecture would ease security concerns for an American icon.

Above us only sky
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

Post by Above us only sky » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:17 am

HexHammer wrote:It's silly, those tards in Sweden gives random people awards left and right..
Maybe they give the Nobel Prize to Bob Dylan in order to buy him off: Bob Dylan is a little bit of anti-establishment, they gave Bob the prize in order to make him less anti-establishment.

By the way, did Bob accept the award? or did he, like Jean-Paul Sartre, refused the prize?

HexHammer
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Nobel Prize in Literature for Bob Dylan. What?

Post by HexHammer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:25 am

Above us only sky wrote:
HexHammer wrote:It's silly, those tards in Sweden gives random people awards left and right..
Maybe they give the Nobel Prize to Bob Dylan in order to buy him off: Bob Dylan is a little bit of anti-establishment, they gave Bob the prize in order to make him less anti-establishment.

By the way, did Bob accept the award? or did he, like Jean-Paul Sartre, refused the prize?
Uhmm ..no, that would suggest they buy off people with the peace prize which didn't happen.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest