The Anonymous in Religious Music

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Nick_A

Re: The Anonymous in Religious Music

Post by Nick_A »

Vege, you are a complete fool.
“Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.”
― George Gordon Byron
You are a text book example.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sthit is spot-on.
Yes, sthit has come into his own lately.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Nick_A wrote:Vege, you are a complete fool.
“Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.”
― George Gordon Byron
You are a text book example.
You are looking in a mirror.
What did you expect: we all recognise an anonymous quality in music; agree with you it is objective; then conclude it is God; then we would all convert to your brand of delusion.
Well duh, oh so very duh!
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Hobbes wrote: Y
ou are looking in a mirror.
What did you expect: we all recognise an anonymous quality in music; agree with you it is objective; then conclude it is God; then we would all convert to your brand of delusion.
Well duh, oh so very duh!
No you idiot. When a person feels a quality of emotion inspired from perfection in art that doesn't come from them and cannot be defined or explained so is called anonymous. You have never felt this and do your best to prevent yourself from ever feeling it. The point is that the frenzied thread destroyers deny others the opportunity to give their first impressions. You are just selfish and ignorant people who seek to destroy what you don't understand.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote:The point is that the frenzied thread destroyers deny others
They're nothing but thread deniers, Nick, blind thread deniers.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Nick_A wrote:When a person feels a quality of emotion inspired from perfection in art that doesn't come from them and cannot be defined or explained so is called anonymous.
Where did you get that from? What a load of bollocks. 'Anonymous' music is when it's unknown who the composer was.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Where did you get that from? What a load of bollocks. 'Anonymous' music is when it's unknown who the composer was.
I think you might have broken it to him a bit more gently than that, VT, he must be feeling very vulnerable by now.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Nick_A wrote: The point is that the frenzied thread destroyers deny others the opportunity to give their first impressions. You are just selfish and ignorant people who seek to destroy what you don't understand.
There is no such thing as a "frenzied thread destroyer", they have no power over anyone else, but some week individuals give them the power to disrupt the flow of conversation. I gave you the chance to carry on with the topic, but you chose to focus more on those who were critical of your ideas, than the ideas themselves. You have chosen to be the martyr when there was no cause to be a martyr for, you provoked the hostility and abuse onto yourself to satisfy your need for hostility and abuse.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: There is no such thing as a "frenzied thread destroyer",
Well something keeps making the buttons drop off my coat.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote:
thedoc wrote: There is no such thing as a "frenzied thread destroyer",
Well something keeps making the buttons drop off my coat.
Those are Moths.

And keep them away from your pants, unless you are a comedian and want everyone laughing at you.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote:unless you are a comedian and want everyone laughing at you.
With me, Doc, laughing with me.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Doc wrote: There is no such thing as a "frenzied thread destroyer", they have no power over anyone else, but some week individuals give them the power to disrupt the flow of conversation. I gave you the chance to carry on with the topic, but you chose to focus more on those who were critical of your ideas, than the ideas themselves. You have chosen to be the martyr when there was no cause to be a martyr for, you provoked the hostility and abuse onto yourself to satisfy your need for hostility and abuse.
“Who were the fools who spread the story that brute force cannot kill ideas? Nothing is easier. And once they are dead they are no more than corpses.” Simone Weil

This is what you don’t understand. When ideas with the depth included in philosophy are not respected they lose their potency and after a while are just no more than corpses. People have to stand together to oppose intimidation and abuse. Granted this is just a web site but the same holds true in the world. If people on this site don’t appreciate the value of keeping ideas alive they will be lost in favor of superficiality. This is the same thing that has happened in media and what for some reason has been called the arts. They have lost their depth. One can say who cares and the only important thing is who is getting laid. Can a free society survive with that attitude? No. That is why I want to learn the mods attitude towards intentional attempts at intimidation and abuse for the purpose of killing ideas they don’t understand. If that is what the mods want, this site only serves the purpose of arguing the ramifications of Yo momma sucks.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Nick_A wrote:
Doc wrote: There is no such thing as a "frenzied thread destroyer", they have no power over anyone else, but some week individuals give them the power to disrupt the flow of conversation. I gave you the chance to carry on with the topic, but you chose to focus more on those who were critical of your ideas, than the ideas themselves. You have chosen to be the martyr when there was no cause to be a martyr for, you provoked the hostility and abuse onto yourself to satisfy your need for hostility and abuse.
“Who were the fools who spread the story that brute force cannot kill ideas? Nothing is easier. And once they are dead they are no more than corpses.” Simone Weil

This is what you don’t understand. When ideas with the depth included in philosophy are not respected they lose their potency and after a while are just no more than corpses. People have to stand together to oppose intimidation and abuse. Granted this is just a web site but the same holds true in the world. If people on this site don’t appreciate the value of keeping ideas alive they will be lost in favor of superficiality. This is the same thing that has happened in media and what for some reason has been called the arts. They have lost their depth. One can say who cares and the only important thing is who is getting laid. Can a free society survive with that attitude? No. That is why I want to learn the mods attitude towards intentional attempts at intimidation and abuse for the purpose of killing ideas they don’t understand. If that is what the mods want, this site only serves the purpose of arguing the ramifications of Yo momma sucks.
So full of yourself. :lol:
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Nick_A wrote:

The problem is that I do understand forums and how they function, and I am willing to work within the system. I'm not a crusader out to buck the system and change it, if there is a discussion worth having, let it go on and ignore those who would derail the topic. You can't seem to let go of the naysayer's and get on with the topic, you seem to be obsessed with arguing with them even when they have nothing to say. So be it, if you can't be bothered to respond to comments on the topic, but insist on whining about those who would derail the thread, so be it. If your true intention is to change the system and exclude those who add nothing to the conversation, you're on your own, because I am happy with the forum as it is. The disruptive and abusive comments can be quite amusing at times, and I can enjoy a bit of levity even when I'm trying to be serious.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Nick_A wrote:
A work of art has an author and yet, when it is perfect, it has something which is anonymous about it. Simone Weil
Do you ever sense something in older religious music that is anonymous and you would never find in rap? For example Schubert wrote the Ave Maria but is there something else there as well that isn't in today's music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bosouX_d8Y
S.D.G. - Soli Deo Gloria – Glory to God alone.

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.”
– Johann Sebastian Bach

Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor, organ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o

Leela James - Say That ft. Anthony Hamilton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SweagQ9sAAk
(Don't let them fool you. They're singing to God.)

I like em both, and the Schubert is divine.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/divine

I think that then and now the "anon. quality" is singing or transmitting to God, (a.k.a. to the best of oneself*), in the ways of the times (circumstances). Though not so-cut-and dried, as Bach seemed to have the selfless transparency of a true medium, or conduit. Mrs. Bachs they said he was a live wire, though folks in other times would likely like to think that the ladies yearned for a more enlightened time when they could have instead adopted the little chillen of circumstances more unfortunate than the conditions for all, in the time of Bach.

*A reasonable fax for those whose ears burn like crispy fries and hackles rise at the mere mention of the G word.
Last edited by Walker on Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.