What is poetry?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Re: What is poetry?

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:What nonsense is incorporated into this self-indulgent movement.
Nonsense is relative.

Not so much self-indulgent. More, reactionary. Reacting to an insane world. It was a generation of crushed youth.

Q: After all, what was the acceptable alternative to insanity?
A: Self-sacrifice, profiteering from death, or the peaceful path of Babbitt.
To the Dadaists, these paths were loony.
Evocative and provocative. You seem very knowledgeable about this particular era, Walker, it means a lot to you.
Thanks.
Walker

Post by Walker »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Walker wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:What nonsense is incorporated into this self-indulgent movement.
Nonsense is relative.

Not so much self-indulgent. More, reactionary. Reacting to an insane world. It was a generation of crushed youth.

Q: After all, what was the acceptable alternative to insanity?
A: Self-sacrifice, profiteering from death, or the peaceful path of Babbitt.
To the Dadaists, these paths were loony.
Evocative and provocative. You seem very knowledgeable about this particular era, Walker, it means a lot to you.
Thanks.
:lol:

Well, I'm literate and have always enjoyed museums. Plus, it's stuff I learned a long time ago so I suppose a bit of gestation is inevitable, though I don't think about it much until it's obviously necessary. :wink:
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

marjoram_blues wrote: Sun May 08, 2016 11:16 pm Do we need a definition ? What are the necessary and sufficient conditions?
How do we recognise when someone is being poetic?
What are the characteristics, or properties?
What is the objective of producing poetry?

Is it simply an emotional expression; a form of therapy.
From the reader's point of view, do we apply special criteria for how great a poem is?
What is the best kind of writing?
Philosophical ?
Original ?
Moving...

Who amongst the contributors to the Poetry thread consider themselves philosophical poets, or poetic philosophers ?
Where did Psychonaut fly off to?
Poetry is always beautiful to me, even though I may not practically like what it is about or how it is written. I have a penpal that has schizophrenia and his poetry doesn't make sense to me but I love how creative it is, makes my imagination try to understand how he sees it.
Rap stands for Rhythm And Poetry, even though I don't catch all the words or like what some songs say, still generally has a melodic sound. I find the best poetry is the cathartic kind. The deepest thoughts come out of the dark then, even if nasty and in anger, or just drives that aren't met. I enjoy the challenge poetry presents, like changing how we think of writing by making it a visual art too (think the style of 'Grasshopper' by E.E. Cummings).
I love the poetry that makes me think of things differently, or makes me feel an emotion I wasn't, or something challenging. All that would inspire me to want to write too. I think that is an objective too--make others feel what you feel, or know what you know, or inspire them.
The best kind of writing (to me) is what makes you want to come back for more. No matter the subject.