New Work

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

artisticsolution
Posts: 1917
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:38 am
Contact:

Re: New Work

Post by artisticsolution » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:06 pm

Thank you, Dalek! Very fun!

Always a pleasure to see your work, Hobbes:)

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: New Work

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:27 am

artisticsolution wrote:Thank you, Dalek! Very fun!

Always a pleasure to see your work, Hobbes:)
Thanks again. It's nice after so any years of hard work to get some appreciation. I do not consider myself a natural artist, but more of a craftsman that has done the slog and studied hard.

My first sculptures are shite, six years later I'm starting to feel I've got somewhere. At each step along the way I felt good about what I managed to do, and with each step scorned the previous one. I regard my best sculpture as the next one.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: New Work

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:30 am

artisticsolution wrote:
A little preview of the Steampunk Show...I'll try to remember to post some pics of the reception...oh did I mention my partner and I are expanding the gallery? if all goes well, construction should begin next week! Weehoo! :)
I love it, you've brought some great style to the genre. I keep meaning to use SP as a theme, but so far my attempts have not seemed authentic.
Where can I see your work?

artisticsolution
Posts: 1917
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:38 am
Contact:

Re: New Work

Post by artisticsolution » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:06 pm

You are an artist no doubt. For the longest time I worked on acquiring skills, now that I have been a gallery owner ..and I see first hand what inspires, I tend to believe skills are not as important as honesty and passion. I am trying now not to overwork my paintings to be too 'perfect'. If an accident happens that I like...I leave it alone like her hat, for example, I put it on her head because I hated the top of her hair. I just painted it in quickly, thinking I would perfect it later...but when I got done for the day, I stood back and looked...and I liked the way her 'hair' peeked through the goggles and brim as if the light was reflecting off the smooth surface of those areas. Normally, I would have 'fixed'it...hiding my 'mistakes'...but I now think the idea of allowing people to see me...and my mistakes..warts and all...seems more honest and intimate.

Thank you for sharing your art with me.

I will pm you my name....if you have Facebook please friend me...I'd like to see more of your art.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6920
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: New Work

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:19 pm

'Steampunk'. I've never heard of that. Just Googled it. Fantastic, atmospheric stuff. I'm hooked.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: New Work

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:53 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:'Steampunk'. I've never heard of that. Just Googled it. Fantastic, atmospheric stuff. I'm hooked.

If you like harmonies. Try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQWY-JO ... QWY-JOhF2I
I love Steam Powered Giraffe.

You might like "chap - hop"
Here is Professor Elemental
and Mr.B The Gentleman Rhymer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiRPBCiJg2c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iRTB-FTMdk

If you like to read sci-fi, there are many Steampunk novels to try. They feel like Jules Verne, but can be set on other worlds.

eg - thought not typical of the author https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_World
eg. before "steampunk" was coined "Warlord of the Air" by Michael Moorcock.

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: New Work

Post by marjoram_blues » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:04 am

artisticsolution wrote: [ to Hobbes ]

You are an artist no doubt.

Thank you for sharing your art with me.

I will pm you my name....if you have Facebook please friend me...I'd like to see more of your art.
This forum is brimful of artistic talent. Even if I don't always show appreciation to Hobbes, yourself and others, I am grateful for all the sharing of images and ideas. Totally fascinating.
Re: the sharing of your name and seeing your art. If you really don't wish others to know your name, then you might want to be more careful when uploading. Your signature is plain to see - and probably duly noted - in some of your attached images.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: New Work

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:07 pm

Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 11.58.44.png
Laura Katie from FB: Noir Musique
Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 11.58.44.png (240.47 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
THE BIG GIANT HEAD is back.

recently and successfully out of the kiln (except with a few minor stress fractures), stands 25" high after shrinkage was done to a scale of 1.5.
People find this surprising. 1-1.5 linear makes 1.5x1.5x1.5 (3.375)cubic ration.

Next step is probably soaking with tea and/or coffee to bring out the details.

See more of katie here.
https://www.facebook.com/MusiqueNoir/?fref=ts

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6920
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: New Work

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:52 pm

marjoram_blues wrote:
artisticsolution wrote: [ to Hobbes ]

You are an artist no doubt.

Thank you for sharing your art with me.

I will pm you my name....if you have Facebook please friend me...I'd like to see more of your art.
This forum is brimful of artistic talent. Even if I don't always show appreciation to Hobbes, yourself and others, I am grateful for all the sharing of images and ideas. Totally fascinating.
Re: the sharing of your name and seeing your art. If you really don't wish others to know your name, then you might want to be more careful when uploading. Your signature is plain to see - and probably duly noted - in some of your attached images.
That didn't occur to me, but I suppose if you are an artist then you can't really be a shrinking violet about being known.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4339
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Canuckistan

Re: New Work

Post by Dalek Prime » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:20 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 11.58.44.png
THE BIG GIANT HEAD is back.

recently and successfully out of the kiln (except with a few minor stress fractures), stands 25" high after shrinkage was done to a scale of 1.5.
People find this surprising. 1-1.5 linear makes 1.5x1.5x1.5 (3.375)cubic ration.

Next step is probably soaking with tea and/or coffee to bring out the details.

See more of katie here.
https://www.facebook.com/MusiqueNoir/?fref=ts
Awesome bust Hobbes! Excellent facial details.

One of my uncles was a commercial artist, and I still recall a bust of JFK he did. Very lifelike and comparable to your work.

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: New Work

Post by marjoram_blues » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:26 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
artisticsolution wrote: [ to Hobbes ]

You are an artist no doubt.

Thank you for sharing your art with me.

I will pm you my name....if you have Facebook please friend me...I'd like to see more of your art.
This forum is brimful of artistic talent. Even if I don't always show appreciation to Hobbes, yourself and others, I am grateful for all the sharing of images and ideas. Totally fascinating.
Re: the sharing of your name and seeing your art. If you really don't wish others to know your name, then you might want to be more careful when uploading. Your signature is plain to see - and probably duly noted - in some of your attached images.
That didn't occur to me, but I suppose if you are an artist then you can't really be a shrinking violet about being known.
:)
AS is a most talented artist.If people can't work out who she is and where they can see her work, then they are just plain daft !
I wonder if this thread is an example of serial covert advertising? Clever work all round.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6920
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: New Work

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:33 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:'Steampunk'. I've never heard of that. Just Googled it. Fantastic, atmospheric stuff. I'm hooked.

If you like harmonies. Try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQWY-JO ... QWY-JOhF2I
I love Steam Powered Giraffe.

You might like "chap - hop"
Here is Professor Elemental
and Mr.B The Gentleman Rhymer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiRPBCiJg2c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iRTB-FTMdk

If you like to read sci-fi, there are many Steampunk novels to try. They feel like Jules Verne, but can be set on other worlds.

eg - thought not typical of the author https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_World
eg. before "steampunk" was coined "Warlord of the Air" by Michael Moorcock.
He has a great voice.
I love this kind of thing, with all the gears, iron, and steam...It's so atmospheric and fascinating:
SP2.jpg
SP2.jpg (66.73 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6920
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: New Work

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:58 pm

artisticsolution wrote:I am finally having fun with my new gallery and new partner is near perfect. This month we are having a Steampunk show. It's fun to be in control of your art (commissions and display and other such business shit )...being a gallery owner means you call the shots. Plus if you have a good partner you split the cost and the work of the gallery! Beautiful!

Now if everything could run as smoothly in my personal life...mother-in-law died last month...sad..She might have been the best mother-in-law on the planet. Youngest son (21) is giving us a little drama...can't wait til he grows up already...I'm tired! lol

Other than that...things remain the same. How about you all? What have I missed?

A little preview of the Steampunk Show...I'll try to remember to post some pics of the reception...oh did I mention my partner and I are expanding the gallery? if all goes well, construction should begin next week! Weehoo! :)
I must say your steampunk girls stacks up well with the ones I've seen, and adds a feminine touch to what seems to be a largely masculine genre.

artisticsolution
Posts: 1917
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:38 am
Contact:

Re: New Work

Post by artisticsolution » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:46 pm

Thank you Veg and M!

About the name...yes...you can see it in my pics if you look closely...and I think arising mentioned it once in a post, but I figured..."who listens to him anyway?" Lol :wink:

I am not here to spam so I don't mention my name...if someone asks..I will tell them...but I am just trying to be respectful of the forum while still sharing my art with other like minded people. Actually, I would take out my name but it's all I can do to resize as I suck at computer graphics. So...I figure...who's gonna look that close anyway.

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: New Work

Post by marjoram_blues » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:08 am

artisticsolution wrote:Thank you Veg and M!

About the name...yes...you can see it in my pics if you look closely...and I think arising mentioned it once in a post, but I figured..."who listens to him anyway?" Lol :wink:

I am not here to spam so I don't mention my name...if someone asks..I will tell them...but I am just trying to be respectful of the forum while still sharing my art with other like minded people. Actually, I would take out my name but it's all I can do to resize as I suck at computer graphics. So...I figure...who's gonna look that close anyway.
I don't see anything wrong with openly sharing your name and art space; given that it's already out there, and in a good way.
Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. All best wishes at this difficult and yet, special time.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests