Can art be repulsive?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greta

Re: Can art be repulsive?

Post by Greta »

Walker wrote:
Greta wrote:"Repulsiveness" is subjective. Obviously. There is no "absolute repulsiveness". I didn't think I've given that impression.

Merzbow is art BTW, just not art to most people's taste.
Hello.

In out-noising the head noise of machines in order to comment on the sensory blend-into-babble of technology, or enabled by technology, subtle it ain’t. It’s only art in the sense that philosophically it challenges the assumption of ubiquitous beauty, and it challenges the empirical life experience of realizing that beauty is a discovery of what is always present. The noise of Merzbow dares one to look away from the truth of what it is, and for non-blinkers who live by truth, it presents an empty challenge.
Merzbow is at least richer art than a great deal of popular music. It's clear that his noise shows are a visceral experience, an abstracted version of the standard extravaganza of overpowering sound and lights in modern youth concerts. I've been to experimental noise shows - it's worth doing once just for the weirdness of the experience. It's too harsh for me personally but I can see how it could appeal to some.

I wouldn't think of noise music as necessarily a challenge to the idea that beauty can be found everywhere. Noise artists enjoy the liberation and exploration.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote:
Walker wrote:
Greta wrote:"Repulsiveness" is subjective. Obviously. There is no "absolute repulsiveness". I didn't think I've given that impression.

Merzbow is art BTW, just not art to most people's taste.
Hello.

In out-noising the head noise of machines in order to comment on the sensory blend-into-babble of technology, or enabled by technology, subtle it ain’t. It’s only art in the sense that philosophically it challenges the assumption of ubiquitous beauty, and it challenges the empirical life experience of realizing that beauty is a discovery of what is always present. The noise of Merzbow dares one to look away from the truth of what it is, and for non-blinkers who live by truth, it presents an empty challenge.
Merzbow is at least richer art than a great deal of popular music. It's clear that his noise shows are a visceral experience, an abstracted version of the standard extravaganza of overpowering sound and lights in modern youth concerts. I've been to experimental noise shows - it's worth doing once just for the weirdness of the experience. It's too harsh for me personally but I can see how it could appeal to some.

I wouldn't think of noise music as necessarily a challenge to the idea that beauty can be found everywhere. Noise artists enjoy the liberation and exploration.
Yes, liberation. To oppose the noise is to oppose reality. To impose desire upon reality is to disturb the noise. Exploration mirrors the freedom of doing what you want, when you want. Such freedom is free of want, people like to think they want such freedom.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Charles Laughton turned repulsion into art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll_-pnX ... 9b&index=8
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:26 am Typically art is attractive, often eye pleasing. Now I'm looking at it from the other side of the coin. Can it be repulsive and yet, have desirable qualities? What do you think?
PhilX
Art I don't believe is limited in that way, though beauty is the celebration of being that which is ugly, a monstrosity is too an experience, and the other side of the proverbial coin. Beholding the ugly monstrosity is really stretching it to say it is desirable as it is anti- life anti-being, but if the purpose of the artist is to show you that side of reality and with significant skill, it can be called art.