Picasso: genius taking the piss?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Re: Picasso: genius taking the piss?

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Pluto wrote:Your spending too much time online and on here.
That is what you call an ad hominem. To cover your mistake, you try to imply that there is something wrong with me.

I suppose the conversation is now over.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Picasso's work is beautiful to my eye and he had great talent, his lines always having exceptional rhythm, be they in his paintings, sketches or cartoons. My favourite pieces of his are probably Girl Before a Mirror and Guernica.

I usually find realism in painting to be less interesting than abstractions. I like abstract music too.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greta wrote:Picasso's work is beautiful to my eye and he had great talent, his lines always having exceptional rhythm, be they in his paintings, sketches or cartoons. My favourite pieces of his are probably Girl Before a Mirror and Guernica.

I usually find realism in painting to be less interesting than abstractions. I like abstract music too.
If you followed the whole thread you will see I was complimentary to some of his work.

What examples of abstract music do you mean?
Vor

Post by Vor »

Like every masterful artist, be it painter, photographer, musician, they capture the essence of the subject and Picasso was a master at this. His pieces and paintings would have depicted what it was for him to be moved to paint or sculpt them.

Life with Picasso written by Francois Gilot during the 12 years she lived with him, gives great insight into the man.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Vor and Greta,

Your predictable hagiography is unconvincing.
Take a look at Red lady with Hat and tell me how this particular picture fulfils your claims about Picasso's skill and mastery or admit that sometimes he was simple exploiting his arrogance and fame to take the piss.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:I've always thought how ugly was Picasso's work. Not all of it, and not even all the late stuff, of which the second pic below is an example. But this example epitomises what I can only think of as taking the piss: pushing the boundaries of taste in deformation to see just what he could get away with. Some works of this period are beautifully balanced and have a rare aesthetic. But this example - is it anything more than a result of his prodigious drug taking? Does it have any merit beyond is obscene price?
By contrast the first picture has delicacy, and sensitivity.
Wow, we actually have something else in common. :cry:
I hate Picasso, I see that in cubism he returned to his childhood.

I prefer realism and idealism.

But then in truth, art is subjective, one persons poison, is another's cure.
:lol:
So the subjectivity of art appreciation is lost on you? Simple minded threads, by one that name drops an auto manufacturer, as if it's necessarily definitive of his worth. :lol:
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Does objective beauty exist?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Pluto wrote:Does objective beauty exist?
It was never a priority or direct function of nature so the answer - at least mine - is NO.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Pluto wrote:Does objective beauty exist?
It's as close to a contradiction is terms as it is possible to get.