Before The Flood

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

artisticsolution

Re: Before The Flood

Post by artisticsolution »

thedoc wrote:
artisticsolution wrote:Being pulled in too many directions! I want so badly to reply but I have only had time to read...thanks lace, hobbes, doc and leo...and veg in another thread! Hobbes...love your work! Seriously great!

Here's my latest for the 'War & Peace" Show...because you can't have too many cross dressin' jackalopes, I always say! :wink:

Wait a minute! You have a piece sign on a picture that is supposed to depict war? You need to focus, the other artist is supposed to depict peace, and you were supposed to depict war in all it's ugly, bloody, extremes. Get with the program, or are you stuck on the wrong side? ambivalent about your task?
LOL I had to come on to say hi before I go to bed. Hiya Doc! I'm an artist...according to steve martin in father of the bride, 'we can do whatever we want'...lol.

Actually, I don't have a 'side'...although I think war is more fun to paint. This particular piece is sort of a play on our story Ann and mine....the artist I am doing this last show with is none other than Ann in the argh thread. We made up... long story. But I found a solution to the problem and all is good now...cancer is gone and Ann is being ultra nice now ... long story...lol. Anyhoo, I am good to go now...I put in my 6 months and told Ann that I would be renegotiating at the end of this lease. I will find another wall or another gallery somewhere if push comes to shove. And I pulled up my big girl pants and put my name one the waiting list for my own gallery...we shall see...it's gunna be the way it's gunna be anyway, I have patience. :)

You keep forgetting...this war and peace is coming from a woman's point of view. I have not been around any military people (cept for boyfriends in the past) Yeah yeah...war is ugly...but you still have fashion sense...you don't see soldiers running out on the battle field in pajama's, now do you? No of course not...they are dressed to the hilt! And I am going to make them look even nicer! Did you notice the cool fringe tourniquet around the Puma's calf? How about the stockings and garter on the rabbit? Huh...how's THAT for a uniform! It's not just for the practical....oh no...it's fierce fashion baby! Just because your going to get blown to smithereens , doesn't mean you can't look good doing it! (Did you hear a little sarcasm in my voice there? I hope so....even wars have to be fought for the aesthetics. 'One day you're in, the next day your'e out.')

It's just been done to death. "war" Same old same old...will anyone ever tire of it? Probably not...it makes for great novels and films, TV, etc.

'Let us pray for our fallen...pass the popcorn, will ya?'

(Holy cow am I in a surly mood tonight! lol)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

artisticsolution wrote: LOL I had to come on to say hi before I go to bed. Hiya Doc! I'm an artist...according to steve martin in father of the bride, 'we can do whatever we want'...lol.

Actually, I don't have a 'side'...although I think war is more fun to paint. This particular piece is sort of a play on our story Ann and mine....the artist I am doing this last show with is none other than Ann in the argh thread. We made up... long story. But I found a solution to the problem and all is good now...cancer is gone and Ann is being ultra nice now ... long story...lol. Anyhoo, I am good to go now...I put in my 6 months and told Ann that I would be renegotiating at the end of this lease. I will find another wall or another gallery somewhere if push comes to shove. And I pulled up my big girl pants and put my name one the waiting list for my own gallery...we shall see...it's gunna be the way it's gunna be anyway, I have patience. :)

You keep forgetting...this war and peace is coming from a woman's point of view. I have not been around any military people (cept for boyfriends in the past) Yeah yeah...war is ugly...but you still have fashion sense...you don't see soldiers running out on the battle field in pajama's, now do you? No of course not...they are dressed to the hilt! And I am going to make them look even nicer! Did you notice the cool fringe tourniquet around the Puma's calf? How about the stockings and garter on the rabbit? Huh...how's THAT for a uniform! It's not just for the practical....oh no...it's fierce fashion baby! Just because your going to get blown to smithereens , doesn't mean you can't look good doing it! (Did you hear a little sarcasm in my voice there? I hope so....even wars have to be fought for the aesthetics. 'One day you're in, the next day your'e out.')

It's just been done to death. "war" Same old same old...will anyone ever tire of it? Probably not...it makes for great novels and films, TV, etc.

'Let us pray for our fallen...pass the popcorn, will ya?'

(Holy cow am I in a surly mood tonight! lol)

LOL, you can do whatever you want? a likely excuse for a lack of responsibility?

Anyway, I'm glad you worked out your personal relationship for the good.

I'm not sure that a woman's point of view about war should be any different than a man's, I can understand that it probably is. If you want to think about fashion sense you could consider the ancient Greeks and Romans who went into battle with helmets and their weapons, maybe sandals? Or I believe it was the Celts who would paint themselves red so that if they were wounded and bleeding, it wouldn't show and the enemy would not be able to tell if their weapons were doing any harm.

If you are in a surly mood, you've probably been reading too many of my posts.

I see now that you are trying to do a different twist on war, and my suggestions are probably going to be on the darker side. The problem that I see is that you could make too light a depiction of war, and remove the horror and "sanitize" it too much. I would be concerned that some people would misunderstand and think that you were in favor of war, I would certainly hope that is not the case. In that light I would be in favor of making the depiction as dirty and bloody as possible so as not to give the wrong impression. Perhaps you could incorporate the idea that the generals and leaders are somewhat isolated from the worst parts, and only see the glory of victory and winning a battle. Even for the generals loosing the battle or war, they are still isolated from the actual battle and the bad parts of warfare.
artisticsolution

thedoc wrote:

LOL, you can do whatever you want? a likely excuse for a lack of responsibility?

Anyway, I'm glad you worked out your personal relationship for the good.

I'm not sure that a woman's point of view about war should be any different than a man's, I can understand that it probably is. If you want to think about fashion sense you could consider the ancient Greeks and Romans who went into battle with helmets and their weapons, maybe sandals? Or I believe it was the Celts who would paint themselves red so that if they were wounded and bleeding, it wouldn't show and the enemy would not be able to tell if their weapons were doing any harm.

If you are in a surly mood, you've probably been reading too many of my posts.

I see now that you are trying to do a different twist on war, and my suggestions are probably going to be on the darker side. The problem that I see is that you could make too light a depiction of war, and remove the horror and "sanitize" it too much. I would be concerned that some people would misunderstand and think that you were in favor of war, I would certainly hope that is not the case. In that light I would be in favor of making the depiction as dirty and bloody as possible so as not to give the wrong impression. Perhaps you could incorporate the idea that the generals and leaders are somewhat isolated from the worst parts, and only see the glory of victory and winning a battle. Even for the generals loosing the battle or war, they are still isolated from the actual battle and the bad parts of warfare.

Hi Doc...I am sooo excited! Speaking of fashion...I went garage sale-ing this morn and found marine fatigues...both the desert color and the army green color! One of them still had the pins on it! How cool of a shape is a uniform going to be to paint on...plus I don't have to paint the background cause it's already done!

I almost bought the dress coat...it was really pretty with it's gold buttons! But the guy wanted to much for it...maybe I will go back...i dunno. I kinda like the fatigues. anyway, I am excited to begin painting but I need to finish a few more of my other square paintings first as I need to have an ultra clean workspace for the clothes.

I like your darker side...I do...but it's the juxtaposition I want to explore...so yes...dark and light...war and peace...irony...humor...sexy....grotesque...and perhaps ultimate mercy in death?

I want it to be like a weird cique du soiel , twilight zone, oxymoron "Christian soldier" type of feel. I have one odd board which was the ceiling of the gallery we 'took over'. it was wallpapered in this black scroll print. I am doing an abstract...which is not my normal style but I thought I would do something out of my comfort zone to make myself vulnerable. I'll post a pic when I am done...but I think it's difficult to get a good pic of something like that because the beauty is in the texture...but whatever. Still thinking about your red painting. It will be very stark and different from the others...barren.

Anyway, as to people thinking that I favor war, I don't care what they think really...I mean, this coming from a civilization who honors and cherishes the military 'efforts' but at the same time thinks it distasteful if I happen to be in favor of war (which I am not), can kiss my ass.

I did like my best friend's reaction though...she got this face :shock: :cry: and said she didn't like my puma warrior painting...it frightened her. I liked that...it made me think I painted something different than my usual. At least she had a gut reaction. Isn't that part of living life...to feel things? :D

Thanks for your input Doc. Do you have a fav war story you could share?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

artisticsolution wrote:

I was never in the military, when I was eligible I had applied for college to be a teacher and was deferred, but looking back they probably wouldn't have taken me anyway, I have some serious scoliosis which was probably from childhood.

My father and son were both in the navy, and I have a good story about my dad. He served most of his time during WWII in Alaska and when he came back he didn't have quite enough points to get out, so they sent him to Guam. While there an officer assigned him to supervise a squad of sailors assembling Jeeps. It went slow at first till the first Jeep was finished and the men were ready to start on another and he asked, "How does it work?" they didn't know so he told them to put gas water and oil in it and try it out. They asked "Do you mean we get to drive them?" the rest of the Jeeps were assembled much more quickly.

Later that day the officer came by and saw the men driving the Jeeps and asked "Who authorized these men to drive the Jeeps?" My dad said "Do you want them to be sent out without testing, and have one break down with a general in it, in the middle of a battlefield?" The officer just told him to keep up the good work.
artisticsolution

thedoc wrote:
artisticsolution wrote:

I was never in the military, when I was eligible I had applied for college to be a teacher and was deferred, but looking back they probably wouldn't have taken me anyway, I have some serious scoliosis which was probably from childhood.

My father and son were both in the navy, and I have a good story about my dad. He served most of his time during WWII in Alaska and when he came back he didn't have quite enough points to get out, so they sent him to Guam. While there an officer assigned him to supervise a squad of sailors assembling Jeeps. It went slow at first till the first Jeep was finished and the men were ready to start on another and he asked, "How does it work?" they didn't know so he told them to put gas water and oil in it and try it out. They asked "Do you mean we get to drive them?" the rest of the Jeeps were assembled much more quickly.

Later that day the officer came by and saw the men driving the Jeeps and asked "Who authorized these men to drive the Jeeps?" My dad said "Do you want them to be sent out without testing, and have one break down with a general in it, in the middle of a battlefield?" The officer just told him to keep up the good work.
Lmao....how is it they put the most stupid people in charge? I did a mural for the USO once and I remember this one jerk tried to boss me around as if I was under his command. ..lol...yeah right...as if! He ended up high tailing it outta there when he realized he had no power over me.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

artisticsolution wrote: Lmao....how is it they put the most stupid people in charge? I did a mural for the USO once and I remember this one jerk tried to boss me around as if I was under his command. ..lol...yeah right...as if! He ended up high tailing it outta there when he realized he had no power over me.
Officers are trained to be assertive and act as if they know what they are doing, even when they don't. 2 stories.

Once in Alaska they were assembling a crane and the officer told them to do it the wrong way, my father (who had worked in construction, and knew how to assemble a crane) explained the correct way to do it. They assembled it the way my father told them to.

There was a letter to the editor of a model railroad magazine, asking "How full should I simulate the loads in my hopper cars? The editor answering the letter said "Lets think about how I would want to do it." and proceeded to give the wrong answer. In effect he said "I wouldn't want to load them so full that any would spill out during transit". In that very publication there were photos of hopper cars leaving the mines loaded to the edge. apparently the shippers were not concerned about a few pounds of coal spilling out of the cars when they were shipping 55 to 70 tons per car. Even a few hundred pounds would not have been a big deal, but this editor was too stupid to think like a shipper. It was a bit of "Ivory Tower" thinking that was wrong.
artisticsolution

thedoc wrote:
artisticsolution wrote: Lmao....how is it they put the most stupid people in charge? I did a mural for the USO once and I remember this one jerk tried to boss me around as if I was under his command. ..lol...yeah right...as if! He ended up high tailing it outta there when he realized he had no power over me.
Officers are trained to be assertive and act as if they know what they are doing, even when they don't. 2 stories.

Once in Alaska they were assembling a crane and the officer told them to do it the wrong way, my father (who had worked in construction, and knew how to assemble a crane) explained the correct way to do it. They assembled it the way my father told them to.

There was a letter to the editor of a model railroad magazine, asking "How full should I simulate the loads in my hopper cars? The editor answering the letter said "Lets think about how I would want to do it." and proceeded to give the wrong answer. In effect he said "I wouldn't want to load them so full that any would spill out during transit". In that very publication there were photos of hopper cars leaving the mines loaded to the edge. apparently the shippers were not concerned about a few pounds of coal spilling out of the cars when they were shipping 55 to 70 tons per car. Even a few hundred pounds would not have been a big deal, but this editor was too stupid to think like a shipper. It was a bit of "Ivory Tower" thinking that was wrong.
Trains, Cranes, and Automobiles, eh? :wink: Liked all the stories!

I am tired tonight...I finished 2 more paintings and then I got sidetracked by one really good collector wanting to buy 3 paintings! He's so nice to me...I want to kiss him on the lips! lol So I am hoping he will let the 3 paintings be in the show and let me ship them after, cause now I'm freaking out about time.

Do you think it's stupid if I put a 'big eye' spock in the show? I made one because I was thinking the innocence of the first star trek as compared to the star trek now and spock is doing his 'live long and prosper' sign which kinda looks like a peace sign and would be nice with the naked woman vampire I am painting now (similar colors)... Or do you think spock is a stretch? lol
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

artisticsolution wrote: Do you think it's stupid if I put a 'big eye' spock in the show? I made one because I was thinking the innocence of the first star trek as compared to the star trek now and spock is doing his 'live long and prosper' sign which kinda looks like a peace sign and would be nice with the naked woman vampire I am painting now (similar colors)... Or do you think spock is a stretch? lol
I think your version of Spock is a bit of a stretch, the early Star Trek wasn't as innocent as you seem to think. The writers did a lot of things on that show that they wouldn't have gotten away with otherwise. They were writing about aliens and the far future, so the characters were doing things they normally wouldn't have gotten away with, and they did it on purpose.

I remember Johnny Carson joking about the network censor, Priscilla Goodbody, every time he wanted to do something on the show that he wasn't allowed to do.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

In the last 50 years its had to see ST as a radical and thought provoking show, with the short skirts and the casual sexism, but wait - there were women on a military ship, doing important jobs. They were unencumbered with children and some alien women were in control, cite T'pau.
You have to know what the 1960s was like and what a transformative decade it was to really appreciate the show. First even interracial kiss between Uhuru and Kirk. This is still a rare event, and still taken as some sort of point making exercise.

Today's ST is more of the same, more effects, more action, be nothing socially radical at all. It has no new opinion, nothing to say on political or social matter. In fact worst of all it tends to reflect the gung-ho US invader smash and grab attitude. Kill first and ask questions later.
artisticsolution

Hobbes' Choice wrote:In the last 50 years its had to see ST as a radical and thought provoking show, with the short skirts and the casual sexism, but wait - there were women on a military ship, doing important jobs. They were unencumbered with children and some alien women were in control, cite T'pau.
You have to know what the 1960s was like and what a transformative decade it was to really appreciate the show. First even interracial kiss between Uhuru and Kirk. This is still a rare event, and still taken as some sort of point making exercise.

Today's ST is more of the same, more effects, more action, be nothing socially radical at all. It has no new opinion, nothing to say on political or social matter. In fact worst of all it tends to reflect the gung-ho US invader smash and grab attitude. Kill first and ask questions later.
Hi Hobbes and Doc, I didn't appreciate star trek when I was younger, I was a lost in space girl...lol. but now that I am older I really enjoy all the episodes and movies. Plus the references on other TV shows. .."spock, are you out of your Vulcan mind?" Lol.