Are British film stars charming?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Are British film stars charming?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

It seems to be a defining quality or something they're known for.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Are British film stars charming?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Yes, and they can certainly act, unlike the hammy yanks who are only there for their cloned, artificial 'good' looks. The only good yank actors are the ugly ones, like Steve Buscemi and John Goodman, but even they don't even come close to the way British actors can express subtle emotion. There's nothing phony about the British, so that's charming in itself.
Philosophy Explorer

Some notable examples would be Sean Connery, Patrick MacNee, Ronald Colman, David Niven to name a few.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Some notable examples would be Sean Connery, Patrick MacNee, Ronald Colman, David Niven to name a few.

PhilX
Sean Connery is Scottish, and not particularly charming I've heard. When you yanks say 'British' what exactly do you mean? Would you call a Welsh person British?
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Some notable examples would be Sean Connery, Patrick MacNee, Ronald Colman, David Niven to name a few.

PhilX
Sean Connery is Scottish, and not particularly charming I've heard. When you yanks say 'British' what exactly do you mean? Would you call a Welsh person British?
I know for sure that Scotland was united with England for over 200 years so on that basis I would regard them as being British (that would make Sean Connery in his James Bond role British and I think the character is regarded as being British).

I would leave it up to the user as to who's British and who isn't.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote:

PhilX
I know for sure that Scotland was united with England for over 200 years so on that basis I would regard them as being British (that would make Sean Connery in his James Bond role British and I think the character is regarded as being British).

PhilX
That's crap and you know it. When yanks say 'British' they are talking about the English. Actually I don't think they even know who they are talking about. Typical.
Philosophy Explorer

[quotevegetariantaxidermy] Some notable examples would be Sean Connery, Patrick MacNee, Ronald Colman, David Niven to name a few.

PhilX[/quote]
Sean Connery is Scottish, and not particularly charming I've heard. When you yanks say 'British' what exactly do you mean? Would you call a Welsh person British?[/quote]

PhilX[/quote]
That's crap and you know it. When yanks say 'British' they are talking about the English. Actually I don't think they even know who they are talking about. Typical.[/quote]

You're off base. Here's an online definition (which includes Scotland):

"Mobile-friendly - Britain definition. Officially the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, located on the British Isles off the western coast of the mainland (continent) of Europe. It comprises England, Wales, and Scotland on the island of Great Britain, and Northern Ireland on the island of Ireland."

(what were you saying about Scotland and the Welsh?)

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Yes, and they can certainly act, unlike the hammy yanks who are only there for their cloned, artificial 'good' looks. The only good yank actors are the ugly ones, like Steve Buscemi and John Goodman, but even they don't even come close to the way British actors can express subtle emotion. There's nothing phony about the British, so that's charming in itself.
You are doing two things.

1) you are proving that you have no understanding of the USA, except through the corporate filter, and your own gross ignorance.
2) You are contradicting yourself by pretending that Americans can't act, and in the same paragraph you are saying they can. There are many more examples. I don't think "cloned artificial looks" sums up Morgan Freeman, Bryan Cranston, or Harvey Keitel

I'm sure that the average ignorant American thinks the same thing, because all they see from the UK is Eddy Redmayne, Tilda Swinton, Huge Grant, and Benedict Cumberbach - who are all pretty fucking cold and wooden.

There's plenty of variety from the US. Being ugly is not necessarily a recommendation for great acting.
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote:[quotevegetariantaxidermy] Some notable examples would be Sean Connery, Patrick MacNee, Ronald Colman, David Niven to name a few.

PhilX
Sean Connery is Scottish, and not particularly charming I've heard. When you yanks say 'British' what exactly do you mean? Would you call a Welsh person British?[/quote]

PhilX[/quote]
That's crap and you know it. When yanks say 'British' they are talking about the English. Actually I don't think they even know who they are talking about. Typical.[/quote]

You're off base. Here's an online definition (which includes Scotland):

"Mobile-friendly - Britain definition. Officially the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, located on the British Isles off the western coast of the mainland (continent) of Europe. It comprises England, Wales, and Scotland on the island of Great Britain, and Northern Ireland on the island of Ireland."

(what were you saying about Scotland and the Welsh?)

PhilX[/quote]
Your reading comprehension is about as good as your use of the 'quote' facility. I know what Great Britain is. I was asking what yanks really mean when they say 'British'. You hear them talking about the 'British accent'. I'm pretty sure they aren't talking about Billy Connolly.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

PhilX
Your ignorance knows no bounds.

Welsh, Scots and English are British.
FOR FUCKS SAKE.
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX

FOR FUCKS SAKE.
Fucking morons, the pair of you.
Philosophy Explorer

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sean Connery is Scottish, and not particularly charming I've heard. When you yanks say 'British' what exactly do you mean? Would you call a Welsh person British?

FOR FUCKS SAKE.
[quotevegetariantaxidermy]
Fucking morons, the pair of you.[/quote]

ROFL

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Your ignorance knows no bounds.

FOR FUCKS SAKE.
vegebrain wrote: Fucking morons, the pair of you.
ROFL

PhilX
Maybe we should run along together and leave him in his ivory tower of his own invention?
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Yes, and they can certainly act, unlike the hammy yanks who are only there for their cloned, artificial 'good' looks. The only good yank actors are the ugly ones, like Steve Buscemi and John Goodman, but even they don't even come close to the way British actors can express subtle emotion. There's nothing phony about the British, so that's charming in itself.
You are doing two things.

1) you are proving that you have no understanding of the USA, except through the corporate filter, and your own gross ignorance.
2) You are contradicting yourself by pretending that Americans can't act, and in the same paragraph you are saying they can. There are many more examples. I don't think "cloned artificial looks" sums up Morgan Freeman, Bryan Cranston, or Harvey Keitel

I'm sure that the average ignorant American thinks the same thing, because all they see from the UK is Eddy Redmayne, Tilda Swinton, Huge Grant, and Benedict Cumberbach - who are all pretty fucking cold and wooden.

There's plenty of variety from the US. Being ugly is not necessarily a recommendation for great acting.
You might have noticed that I haven't said 'all'. There are exceptions to every rule, idiot. I'm sure there are some poor English actors too, but I can't think of any. In the US, stereotypical 'good looks' (by American taste) get you everywhere in the acting profession. And only a retard would dispute that English actors are second to none when it comes to expressing subtle and realistic emotion.