Ressentiment

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Wyman

Ressentiment

Post by Wyman »

Hexhammer, on another thread, has invited me to discuss Nietzsche and to choose a topic which I think is relevant and exhibits Nietzsche's particular brilliance. So I chose 'Ressentiment.' The following is a quote from The Geneology of Morals:
The beginning of the slaves’ revolt in morality occurs when ressentiment
itself turns creative and gives birth to values: the ressentiment of those
beings who, denied the proper response of action, compensate for it only
with imaginary revenge. Whereas all noble morality grows out of a triumphant
saying ‘yes’ to itself, slave morality says ‘no’ on principle to
everything that is ‘outside’, ‘other’, ‘non-self ’: and this ‘no’ is its creative
deed. This reversal of the evaluating glance – this essential orientation to
the outside instead of back onto itself – is a feature of ressentiment: in order
to come about, slave morality first has to have an opposing, external
world, it needs, physiologically speaking, external stimuli in order to act
at all, – its action is basically a reaction. The opposite is the case with the
noble method of valuation: this acts and grows spontaneously, seeking out
its opposite only so that it can say ‘yes’ to itself even more thankfully and
exultantly, – its negative concept ‘low’, ‘common’, ‘bad’ is only a pale contrast
created after the event compared to its positive basic concept, saturated
with life and passion, ‘we the noble, the good, the beautiful and the
happy!’
As he says, some types are naturally reactive and define themselves and their values and aesthetics by means of comparison or reaction to others. I see these types as essentially unoriginal - my word, not Nietzsche's. Everything is an attack on something that someone else has created. It is particularly exemplified by those who are afraid to state their own opinions, or put themselves forward, or lay out their own ideas for examination and criticism. It essentially stems from 1) lack of originality and 2) lack of courage.

When I said in the other thread that Nietzsche saw things from original, unseen angles, this is one example. Many would suppose that, for instance, the admiration of egalitarianism and equality stems exclusively from noble origins. However, for many, it stems from fear and hatred of those who may be better, different, or more powerful - a negative idea elevated to the level of a philosophical/political system. This is an example of how he turns ideas around and makes you see them from an entirely different angle. That is his brilliance.

As for his relevance, I see his ideas apply, for example, in critiquing recent feminist/progressive ideology which couches everything in terms of 'privilege' - white privilege, male privilege, heterosexual privilege, WASP privilege. They are ideas wholly distinguished by the adjective preceding the word 'privilege.' They define their 'victim' groups almost entirely in terms of what they lack and what they want from others, rather than in terms of their particular virtues. It is essentially negative, reactionary and unoriginal - the slavish side of egalitarianism.

None of this is to say that egalitarianism (for instance) is bad. But examining such ideals from an angle that allows you to see the negative aspects and origins and thus challenge the very foundations of your ideology can lead to a deeper understanding.
HexHammer

Re: Ressentiment

Post by HexHammer »

What I see is a bunch of talkative incoherent babble, that you applies some made up values to, thus it is The Emperor's New Cloths, you see what you want to see.

Most of the points he tries to make, is completely irrelevant, and the others with just an ounce of relevance has already been said before long long ago.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Wyman

Post by Wyman »

HexHammer wrote:What I see is a bunch of talkative incoherent babble, that you applies some made up values to, thus it is The Emperor's New Cloths, you see what you want to see.

Most of the points he tries to make, is completely irrelevant, and the others with just an ounce of relevance has already been said before long long ago.
Who said it long, long ago?
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

Hex, did you notice that I chose an idea that applies particularly to you, or did that go over your head?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Wyman wrote:
HexHammer wrote:What I see is a bunch of talkative incoherent babble, that you applies some made up values to, thus it is The Emperor's New Cloths, you see what you want to see.

Who said it long, long ago?
Can't exactly remember who and what he said, but it was what triggered the civil war in USA with Lincoln.

Also the Romans entertained the idea of having all slaves wearing special cloth, to distinct them as slaves from the citizen of Rome, but it was refuted when they realized the sheer number of slaves, would make the slaves realize they were in far greater numbers than both the soldiers and citizens.
Wyman wrote:Hex, did you notice that I chose an idea that applies particularly to you, or did that go over your head?
Of cause it did, you didn't make it clear at all!