Your favourite song of all time what is it?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dimitri

Re: Your favourite song of all time what is it?

Post by Dimitri »

Just about anything by Tom Waits.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Hey TheDoc, this bit as soon as the choir kicks in also brought tears to my eye's. A great rendition, though the story line probably had something to do with as well! It would be great to have this version on CD.

Did you see the movie?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:Hey TheDoc, this bit as soon as the choir kicks in also brought tears to my eye's. A great rendition, though the story line probably had something to do with as well! It would be great to have this version on CD.

Did you see the movie?

No, I've seen very few movies lately, and mostly the ones my grandchildren want to watch when they are here. However I am very familiar with Beethoven's biography, and his music. I know he wrote a lot, and I probably haven't heard everything yet. The Wiki article states that this movie is a fictionalized account of his composing the 9th symphony, so there may be some straying from the truth. Also I am well aware of the significance of the times in the movie when there was no sound.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Blaggard wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZGsOYwYWGw&feature=kp

The only thing that puts me off the Rolling Stones is Mick Jagger's singing style. To me, he always sounds as if he's half joking. It seems rather self-indulgent to me. I think the songs deserve better.
That's just his voice, and his big unfortunately sneering looking lips, I am pretty sure the the half joking thing is unintentional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBecM3CQVD8

One of my favourites. Sympathy for the Devil. That guy is onto a loser from the start after all God sets him up for the fall as he is of course omnsicient, and hence then he just uses him to make points in the coming years where he comes off looking like a chump, you have to understand how he was played as a sucker. ;)
I've only recently discovered what a great band they are, as I've never really listened to them because of Mick's singing style. He's an egotist of epic proportions, and it comes through. I think I can get past it though for the sake of the great songs and musicianship I'm discovering.
By the way that's Sir Mick Jagger to you pleb, he has been knighted you know. ;)

Not sure where you get the egotist from, most people who interview him take him as a pretty artistically driven average guy, just like most of the band, ok he's not from a small town called Humble Origins, but from a middle class familly. But he earnt his spurs playing free for audiences and was never rich in his early days. It's kind of like saying Kieth Richards who was the inspiration incidentally for Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean (spent 2 weeks living with him just to learn how he talked just right, and it's incidentally also why he's in the last two films in the series as his dad), is an egotist. It's just the way they talk, if talking like a "pirate" which of course means like anyone from any part of the country, there were a lot of Welsh pirates for example who spoke like Welshmen, boyo; not like a pirate from black and white movies from the 40s makes you egotistical, then so be it. I know what you mean though he sounds sarcastic with every word he says, but that's not something he can do anything about. I suppose you hence have to judge him by his actions, and I don't think he's rated up there with rock prima donnas. We all sound funny to Americans too, all la dee da, but I can assure you we're mostly as common as muck.

You do know of course Mick Jagger didn't write the majority of the Rolling Stones Songs alone as well. Alot of their songs if they are dripping with disdain, are because they were a 60s band when it was all the rage to be anti establishment, something which lead from rock to punk, and real anarchy.

It goes blues>rock>punk&heavy metal. Counter culture music forms that sparked a generations angst, and sadly lead to the emo movement, which is kinda like rebellion but with more sad moaning and self harm, amongst people who have very little to moan about, given they are mostly middle class (uk wealthy class above the muggle working class, not the US middle class which is anyone not drawing benefits). ;)

Still far be it from me to disuade you from your opinion of someone, that usually leads to trouble, as long as you like the music, who the hell cares. :)
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I haven't looked into it that deeply, but I do like Keith Richards. I don't dislike Mick Jagger either, I'm just not that keen on his singing voice. Talk about aging well too. I have no time for knighthoods though. Any many who wants to be called 'sir' is an ass as far as I'm concerned.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Ah course was just trying to say he may sound like a trumped up troubadour with a massive ego, may even act like it on stage, not sure he is though tbh. If he is though I think I will live. :)

To be brutally honest if anyone knighted me in my country, and it's pretty unlikely, I'd hand it back. Sir what? There's people all over the world doing more than any of the half assed knights in any one country why not throw them that bone and make it less pretentious therein? Not that I am a republic loving anti monarchist, I just think equal dues for equal worth, it's a modern era, the British Empire is dead thank de lord, why not hand out some titles to some modern day "saints" who aint in my country, in that respect I think we quite agree. You don't have to be English to be a good man any more... Although it helps, kidding. :P :)
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

Cash

And I heard, as it were, the noise of thunder:
One of the four beasts saying: "Come and see."
And I saw.
And behold, a white horse.

There's a man goin' 'round takin' names.
An' he decides who to free and who to blame.
Everybody won't be treated all the same.
There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

The hairs on your arm will stand up.
At the terror in each sip and in each sup.
For you partake of that last offered cup,
Or disappear into the potter's ground.

Hear the trumpets, hear the pipers.
One hundred million angels singin'.
Multitudes are marching to the big kettle drum.
Voices callin', voices cryin'.
Some are born an' some are dyin'.
It's Alpha's and Omega's Kingdom come.

And the whirlwind is in the thorn tree.
The virgins are all trimming their wicks.
The whirlwind is in the thorn tree.
It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

Till Armageddon, no Shalam, no Shalom.
Then the father hen will call his chickens home.
The wise men will bow down before the throne.
And at his feet they'll cast their golden crown.

Whoever is unjust, let him be unjust still.
Whoever is righteous, let him be righteous still.
Whoever is filthy, let him be filthy still.
Listen to the words long down,

Hear the trumpets, hear the pipers.
One hundred million angels singin'.
Multitudes are marchin' to the big kettle drum.
Voices callin', voices cryin'.
Some are born an' some are dyin'.
It's Alpha's and Omega's Kingdom come.

And the whirlwind is in the thorn tree.
The virgins are all trimming their wicks.
The whirlwind is in the thorn tree.
It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

In measured hundredweight and penny pound.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts,
And I looked and behold: a pale horse.
And his name, that sat on him, was Death.
And Hell followed with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwt1DVaYLy4
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Cash certainly knew how to spin a lyric, and certainly had poetry in music covered. A fine artist I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk2xaeXnxlM

Elbow, such an uplifting song. Loved it the first time I heard it.

"Throw those curtains wide. One day like this a year 'ld see me right."
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG7_gceIFL4

This is one song I really like, did you know he recorded the whole album in the south of France with some of the best musicians you would probably ever see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1xjq-QUOiM

Amazing album actually if you ever get to look up just who appeared on it, it's basically some amazing musicians, from Eric Clapton to z. :)

I know that the spades are the swords of a soldier, I know that the clubs are weapons of war, I know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart. He does write some nice lyrics Sting you have to give him that. :)
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

I am going to to post this:

I posted it elsewhere but I am going to post it again, and If you don't like it sue me, and if I might add, and I might, and perhaps what is your problem, I might add, and why is it a problem if I can say: who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_i1xk07o4g

:D

Karma Police:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ay699qcSb4

No suprises, nice video btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5CVsCnxyXg

Speaking of nice videos and something someone posted earlier but me: Just, sue me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_qMagfZtv8

The video for Paranoid Android:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnfXvPBV1dA

Marvin eat your heart out. :)
Please could you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest
From all the unborn chicken voices in my head
What's that...? (I may be paranoid, but not an android)
What's that...? (I may be paranoid, but not an android)

When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all
What's that...? (I may be paranoid, but no android)
What's that...? (I may be paranoid, but no android)

Ambition makes you look pretty ugly
Kicking and squealing gucci little piggy
You don't remember
You don't remember
Why don't you remember my name?
Off with his head, man
Off with his head, man
Why don't you remember my name?
I guess he does....

Rain down, rain down
Come on rain down on me
From a great height
From a great height... height...
Rain down, rain down
Come on rain down on me
From a great height
From a great height... height...
Rain down, rain down
Come on rain down on me

TThat's it, sir
You're leaving
The crackle of pigskin
The dust and the screaming
The yuppies networking
The panic, the vomit
The panic, the vomit
God loves his children, God loves his children, yeah!
You have to admit for a band that was born and raised in a middle class part of England, they do have some pretty good angst goin' on. :)