Your favourite song of all time what is it?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Your favourite song of all time what is it?

Post by thedoc »

There is a particular quality to that music, ethereal or other worldly, I'm not sure I can describe it.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Sitting on a park bench eyeing little girls with bad intent.

Snot running down his nose greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes.

Drying in the cold sun watching as the frilly panties run.

Feeling like a dead duck spitting out pieces of his broken luck.

Sun streaking cold an old man wandering lonely.

Taking time the only way he knows.

Leg hurting bad, as he bends to pick a dog-end he goes down to the bog and warms his feet.

Feeling alone the army's up the rode salvation à la mode and a cup of tea.

Aqualung my friend don't start away uneasy you poor old sod, you see, it's only me.

Do you still remember December's foggy freeze when the ice that clings on to your beard is screaming agony.

And you snatch your rattling last breaths with deep-sea-diver sounds, and the flowers bloom like madness in the spring.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

thedoc wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:This one, to me, is so beautiful that it's been known to actually cause chills and bring tears to my eyes. Usually during the instrumental section just preceding, and including the lyrics starting with: "Master of Images."

To: thedoc, since you like (play?) piano, the beginning has some nice stuff performed by, classically trained, keyboardist: Rick Wakeman.

Artist: Yes at albums release was: Jon Anderson/Steve Howe/Rick Wakeman/Chris Squire/Alan White
Album: Going for the One
Track: Awaken
Written By: Anderson/Howe
===================

Listening to it now. Just curious do you have a listing of the other instruments? Obviously the piano, and I believe guitar, organ, drums, and other percussion, along with the voices. But I'm not sure about some of the others. Yes the opening piano was good, but as a friend of mine said, "at my age the fingers just don't work that fast", we've both been away from the piano for years, I'm just getting back to it. He claimed to have played the "Flight of the Bumble Bee" years ago, and I have looked at the music, and the music isn't difficult musically, just physically difficult to play at tempo. Just about done now.
I prefer studio cuts, the original. Often live cuts deviate from the original intended, especially as the artist grows older, as you've mentioned. Aren't we all, though it beats the alternative. ;-)
Here's a 2000 live version showing the instrumentation Though Rick Wakeman, original composer of keyboards for this track, is absent, Igor Khoroshev playing instead, who's no slouch at all. Of course Rick is the man in my book. He's even worked with the London Symphony Orchestra, and the English Chamber Choir, specifically on his album titled, Journey to the Centre of the Earth.
SpheresOfBalance

Re:

henry quirk wrote:Sitting on a park bench eyeing little girls with bad intent.

Snot running down his nose greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes.

Drying in the cold sun watching as the frilly panties run.

Feeling like a dead duck spitting out pieces of his broken luck.

Sun streaking cold an old man wandering lonely.

Taking time the only way he knows.

Leg hurting bad, as he bends to pick a dog-end he goes down to the bog and warms his feet.

Feeling alone the army's up the rode salvation à la mode and a cup of tea.

Aqualung my friend don't start away uneasy you poor old sod, you see, it's only me.

Do you still remember December's foggy freeze when the ice that clings on to your beard is screaming agony.

And you snatch your rattling last breaths with deep-sea-diver sounds, and the flowers bloom like madness in the spring.
HQ, that it a really good album, but the stand outs for me are Wond'ring Aloud, Hymn43 and Wind-up. Though others rock, including that title track.

Edit: typo, an n was missing.
Last edited by SpheresOfBalance on Fri May 23, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpheresOfBalance

thedoc wrote:There is a particular quality to that music, ethereal or other worldly, I'm not sure I can describe it.
"YES" :lol: :wink:
SpheresOfBalance

Another one of my favorites, as to lyrical content, as well as the music.
The music video is not official, but it highlights the basic concept, though I would not single out religion as the mob, as mobs exist in all circles, Hitler and his Nazi's as well as the KKK come to mind.
This tune means a lot to me in terms of capturing the truth of equality and freedom, to live ones own life, free of another's selfish characterizations of difference, where they try and direct ones life in order to qualify there's, as "the" solution to the riddle of life, when in truth, no one can actually 'know.'

Artist: Rush is Alex Lifeson/Geddy Lee/Neil Peart
Album: Moving Pictures
Track: Witch Hunt
=================
Lyrics
=================
Rush - Witch Hunt

The night is black, without a moon.
The air is thick and still.
The vigilantes gather on
The lonely torchlit hill.

Features distorted in the flickering light,
Faces are twisted and grotesque.
Silent and stern in the sweltering night,
The mob moves like demons possesed.
Quiet in conscience, calm in their right,
Confident their ways are best.

Oooohhhhhhhhhh

The righteous rise
With burning eyes
Of hatred and ill-will.
Madmen fed on fear and lies
To beat and burn and kill.

They say there are strangers who threaten us,
Our immigrants and infidels.
They say there is strangeness to danger us
In our theatres and bookstore shelves,
Those who know whats best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves.

Quick to judge,
Quick to anger,
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear walk hand in hand.
John K

Post by John K »

Claude DeBussy La Mer.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

John K wrote:Claude DeBussy La Mer.

Links are easy, if I can do it, anyone can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLAIJjWdJRQ

There isn't much of DeBussy that I don't like, but then I haven't heard everything yet.
SpheresOfBalance

OK, I'll pull out my classical.

The Firebird

Yes used to open their concerts with the finale, which is how I got introduced to Stravinsky, back in 1974.

Enjoy!
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:OK, I'll pull out my classical.

The Firebird

Yes used to open their concerts with the finale, which is how I got introduced to Stravinsky, back in 1974.

Enjoy!

I first heard this when my college roommate put the record on. I asked "what is that?" and he answered like I was from another planet. Later I was in the Orchestra and we did the "Ritual Fire Dance", "Bolero", and a lot of other interesting stuff. I also had the LP of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" before they used it in the movie.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

TBH if you are putting out classical I'm not entirely sure you need a link, although it is convenient, so I get that too. It's not like though you want someone to see the edited remastered cut in wide screen and 4D magic sound on the video from a pincrikey graphics display that will kill your monitor. Despite what some might say the stuff you get anywhere are usually done by the best orchestras- you'll seldom type The magic Flute into google and get a grade school band playing it badly to parents who have to appreciate the fact they are only 9. :)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

What's wrong with being 9?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDqTBlKU4CE

She won the competition.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Yes doc I am pretty sure you missed the point, but hey 9 year old prodigies, we all want to see those when we type in The New world symphony No 9 by Dvorjak, one child playing one piece of it or singing one part, don't we, not a professional orchestra playing it or a full opera singing.

No one hence was saying some kids are not amazing, just that ah who cares, the point was clear enough. Last time I ever try and defend you that's for sure. :P

Rules are now doc has to post a link to classical music. Or he's out of the family. just like the rest of us you have the same privilleges, stop being so lazy. ;)

In all honesty I don't give a shit, what you post as long as it isn't so obtuse no one can find it. Just post, the ins and outs are irrelevant so far. It's not a hard hitting political thread or the usual philosophical thread where operation: mindcrime can dive in, you do whatever. That said you touch my stuff, I'll cut you. ;)
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZGsOYwYWGw&feature=kp

The only thing that puts me off the Rolling Stones is Mick Jagger's singing style. To me, he always sounds as if he's half joking. It seems rather self-indulgent to me. I think the songs deserve better.