Post by Hjarloprillar »

Hahaaaahaahoh haaaaaa lolHahaaaahaaHahaaaahaaHahaaaahaa
ooohhh eerk im having a heart atta

that was brilliant RvE...

YES DRILL SARGENT
Hjarloprillar

Re: Recommend me a movie.

Post by Hjarloprillar »

George Campbell Scott (October 18, 1927 – September 22, 1999) was an American stage and film actor, director, and producer. He was best known for his stage work, as well as his portrayal of General George S. Patton in the film Patton, as General Buck Turgidson in Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove, and as Ebenezer Scrooge in Clive Donner's adaptation of A Christmas Carol. He was the first actor to reject the Academy Award for Best Actor. He had already warned the Academy beforehand that if he won, he would reject the award on the philosophical grounds that every great dramatic performance was unique and could not be compared to others.

thats philosophy
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

Blaggard wrote:Hit and miss with MNS IMO Hjarloprillar, he does some good movies, but some are a bit well mediocre.
my fav

http://youtu.be/zWiX2EgCL7g
from my stack

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQdZVnNfOrE
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Pollack (2000)

Ed Harris as Jackson Pollack, clearly a labour of love for Harris in this movie, tells it like it was in all his drunkeness.
Pollack says, "I would be dead without you", referring to his wife, a lot of good it did her. A sincere attempt to show the man as he was.

Loved this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3rEd8MTKNw
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Pollocks life is quite sad, an artist who did a style of art that perhaps became too popular, and perhaps wasn't that amazing, who was then forced into just painting in that style because no one wanted to see anything but his drizzled on canvas style paintings, which to my mind were ok for a while but got a bit dull after a while. He painted some different styles, they were sadly panned, although just as brilliant as the first time he drizzled such bizarre forms over a canvas. The art world is so pretentious and fake, I think he was a flawed man, as all artists tend to be, but I think a lot of his descent into alcoholism and his evential demise was the demands of an art world that probably should appreciate art for its own sake and not try to box it and put it on a pedestal.

Another movie I'd recommend is Donnie Darko, a real mind melt of a movie, and if you can work out what's happening then fair play. It seems though there's another trouser leg of time, and in order to make time go back so everyone can experience time in the better or "right" time line, a guy in a bunny suit has to cross the different times to tell Donnie to do the right thing, and Donnie has only a certain amount of time before the future catches up with him, and meh just watch it. If you were born in the 70s, that's even more reason to watch it, it has such great 80s music throughout. Thought provoking, interesting and it has Drew Barrymore in it, my future wife in imaginationland, which is just off never going to happen, and a short bus journey from in my dreams. So many great performances as well, the lead is certainly impressive: Jake Glynehall, from Broke Back Mountain and Source Code... :)

Ticks all the boxes for me. If you like sitting there going er what the hell is this all about a lot, and trying to piece together a sharply told high school drama that is nothing like anything you have ever seen or probably will, with a moral theme, you'll love it. There's no blood, no sex, and no violence, but it certainly makes you think. This also, on a side note, is the film that was responsible for Mad World by Gary Jules a cover of an old Tears for Fears track getting to a Christmas no 1 spot, not so many years ago. It wasn't made in the 80s btw obviously, if you are from the moon and have no idea who Jake Glynehall is from those movies, and don't do the charts, it is just set there... :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZyBaFYFySk

Trailer^^^

Not a very good trailer as it goes, but there you go.

"In a world where a Jumbo jet engine hits your house almost killing you, where you wake up on a golf course with some numbers on your arm in magic marker that presumably denote some time frame, who is going to stop the time from happening in the way it maybe should not have. Coming this summer, a film that will leave you wondering, who the hell is that bunny, and why does he have a silver eye, and seems to only appear in mirrors, and who the hell is the old lady with a physics PhD, and what is looooove, anyway, does anybody love anybody any way..."

Would probably be a better style. ;)
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Saw Donnie Darko.
It is full of metaphors and symbolism.
Jake was perfect for the part.

The Master.
Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix, fabulously acted. It is about homemade spirituality, The Master (Hoffman) is a salesman of his religion for the lonely and vulnerable to join his new cult. "He makes it all up" says his son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ1O1vb9AUU
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Cool I have such a long film list of good movies I haven't seen that it's going to last a while. That though was and did look right up my alley.

Was also reading the comments on the clip as well, why wasn't this his last movie rather than the hunger games 2: that was because I think and I may be wrong he didn't take massive amounts of drugs in that movie that lead him to overdose, what is though more to the point, that a great actor has shuffled off his mortal coil and how that happened is not a matter for stupid questions about why it happened, it's just sad, people do die for dumb reasons, even when they are good people, and damn fine artists, will miss the guy, but shit does happen in the world of art. :S

I did genuinely think he was a great actor and it did feel like the acting profession had lost a great man, not like it's going to kill me at the end of the day, but credit where credit is due, launch a salute to the dead, great actor and artist has passed away. :'(
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

"did you know him?"

"no..."

Last lines in Donnie Darko, if you can tell me why you don't or should not, you got the film, although no one bloomin' get's the film so... :P

Now this is going to be controversial, but a comedy I personally would hope anyone should see. It's not of course something classic like The Big Lebowski. everyone should see that if for nothing lese what carpet grows.

It's Kingpin, now that movie shined my balls, made me laugh more than the Amish aught to. It's a controversial one as not a lot of people like frozen nipples and a big old bowling ball, but I think that was one of my favourite comedies of all time. It didn't roll a 300 for me, but it sure was close, maybe 260 or so. :)
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Kingpin, now that is something I have not seen.

Speaking comedy.

Bad Grandpa, Johnny Knoxville as Grandpa.

Funny as, one of those movies where you laugh and say this "wrong, wrong, wrong, LOL, while doubled over with laughter.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Haven't seen bad Grandpa yet, duly noted. Kingpin though watch it, it's a very underrated movie. Woody Harrelson has a rubber hand and is a professional bowler, he tries to recruit an Ahmish guy who seems to be a natural at bowling. There's a lot of potential for humour there trust me. :)

Let's put it this way, if you like Knoxsville's brand of bad taste humour, you will certainly like Kingpin. :)
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Don't judge me but I am watching Tropic Thunder again. I did like it the first time. The second time I actually think I am laughing more. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it, if you don't like it meh you suck. :P

"You went full retard, you never go full retard."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WHBO_Qc-Q

:)
Last edited by Blaggard on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty recently, really was not expecting to like it: I like Ben Stiller in moderation but am not the greatest fan in general, but I watched it because people were banging on about it being awesome, it's very good, trust me it's very very good. 5 thumbs up out of 5 I actually lost my ass, yep I laughed my ass off.
Sappho de Miranda

Post by Sappho de Miranda »

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Excellent Story which is quite unpredictable.
Brilliant script and beautifully delivered.
Quirky
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Interesting ^^^ not seen.

Well been watching a lot of films recently but nothing stands out, unless I am watching something with Rachel Weisz in it and then something stands out, but I am not sure it is something anyone wants to know about.

Suffice to say I would say you should watch Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence which I just rewatched and it is very good: David Bowie was exceptional and so were the whole cast, I don't think there was one mediocre piece of acting in any of it, sublime film, very moving. Also the latest Thor film wasn't bad, yeah I know big brawny guy throws Mjölnir around a lot, you could do worse though if I might say. And Iron man 3 was also particularly worth a watch, liked all of them, but 3 had something else that stood out, not sure what it was, wasn't Rachel Weisz, but it was a better and more competently told film than the first two IMO...
Last edited by Blaggard on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.