Recommend me a movie.

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Melchior

Re: Recommend me a movie.

Post by Melchior »

bobevenson wrote:Probably the top movies of all time are "A Clockwork Orange" by Stanley Kubrick, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" by Sergio Leone, "The Graduate" by Mike Nichols, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" by John Hughes, and "The Blues Brothers" by John Landis, all comedies.

Of these, only the last two are any good. I hate The Graduate. It's just so stupid! It has led me to dislike Hoffman in anything. I cannot watch a Dustin Hoffman movie now. The only one he was any good in was Marathon Man.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Marathon man was great "is it safe?" try watching that scene before going to the dentist. I liked the graduate, mind you I am a big Simon and Garfunkle fan, and I would possibly of done Mrs Robinson too, she could seduce me any day. :)

Seen Midnight Cowboy? Dustin Hoffman film I mentioned earlier, if you haven't you might like, such a a heart warming story about friendship.
Last edited by Blaggard on Wed May 28, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Blaggard wrote:Marathon man was awesome, I liked the grduate, mind you I am a big Simon and Garfunkle fan, and I would possibly of done Mrs Robinson too, she could seduce me any day.

Seen Midnight Cowboy? Dustin Hoffman film I mentioned earlier, if you haven't you might like, such a a heart warming story about friendship.
Oh hell no. As I said, I don't like Hoffman. Of course I liked S&G, but that has nothing to do with it.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Last edited by Melchior on Wed May 28, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Melchior wrote:
Blaggard wrote:Marathon man was awesome, I liked the grduate, mind you I am a big Simon and Garfunkle fan, and I would possibly of done Mrs Robinson too, she could seduce me any day.

Oh hell no. As I said, I don't like Hoffman. Of course I liked S&G, but that has nothing to do with it.
Each to their own of course. But I think you're missing out on some great movies.

Not seen Happy, Texas, another one to add to my list. Thanks. :)

@CL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_tt83itYA8

Loved that film Once upon a time in the West. Favourite western though is The Good the Bad and the Ugly, closely followed by a Fist Full of Dollars.

Incidentally Fist full of Dollars based on a Japenese classic called Yojimbo, which is just sublime, Samurai rolls into town with two clans warring at each other, and takes on both, it's not clint Eastwood but it has all the same humour as the American copy. And if you like a bit of Japaenese film making you can't go too far wrong with The 7 Samurai, the inspiration for the Magnificent Seven, great films.
Last edited by Blaggard on Wed May 28, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

Blaggard wrote:
@CL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_tt83itYA8

Loved that film Once upon a time in the West. Favourite western though is The Good the Bad and the Ugly.
I still cannot make up my mind about which of Sergio Leone's films was better than the other. And the same for all of Ennio Morricone's soundtracks.
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

Blaggard wrote:Marathon man was great "is it safe?" try watching that scene before going to the dentist. I liked the graduate, mind you I am a big Simon and Garfunkle fan, and I would possibly of done Mrs Robinson too, she could seduce me any day. :)

Marathon man good, but Midnight Cowboy, that was an unforgettable movie. Loved the main theme sung by Harry Nilsson.

I usually don't like Hoffman's characterizations, though.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz6GzKWiIAs

One of my most favorite movie themes of all time, linked it earlier but rather than make you track back through the films I'll link it again, hell it's a nice song to listen to, and certainly in my top ten favorite tracks too.

Does not one like Dustin Hoffman! :P

I think actually the Midnight Cowboy was the best actor in that film, you don't see much of him any more, I mean don't get me wrong Ratzo (DH) was good but Jon Voight was amazing, it's one of those films I think if you haven't seen you must before you die, it is superlative in every way.
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

The graduate was for me caca. I agree D hoffman may have been good in badtime flic midnight cowboy& marathon but his career? poop

while [sorta] contemporary De Niro did angel heart, mission and taxi driver. roles hoffman would fall down in.

-----------------------------------------
WHAT do you guys think of M Night Shyamalan flicks?
Apparently im of rare breed, i liked happening, devil and signs.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Hit and miss with MNS IMO Hjarloprillar, he does some good movies, but some are a bit well mediocre.

I bet no one's ever seen Harold and Maud, obscure film from the 70's, I'd recommend it though, as far as morbid goes it rates in the low unhealthy stakes as one of the best unwholesome films you might see if you were obsessed with death and a Goth, before Goths really became Goths.

No one likes Dustin Hoffman. Well that's any eye opener and no mistake. I do but clearly I am alone.

What would Keanu Reeves of done in Apocalypse Now, or Ashton Kutcher in Cassa Blanca. That's a real bad argument clearly some actors are good in some movies and we must hope producers are not morons, and pick Rick as Arnold Schwarzenegger in the inevitable 2020 remake, or Captain Willard as John Wayne, and maybe Norman Wisdom as the mad Colonel, they probably had to be played by the most suitable actor. No one's that amazing though they can play every part.

I like Dustin Hoffman, I think he can act, I think he's not shit at acting; I am not sure there's any movie he has done where he's just shit as opposed to several actors I could name so shoot me. Odd that everyone hate's him though, but meh each to their own, everyone is welcome to their opinion and for lords sake fire away guys, anyway, 'cause I am not that large on the ground with good movies... :)

Incidentally ever read the book Fallen Angel on which Angel Heart was based, it's way darker and much better. That said apparently there was big act off between the two leads, and a lot of tension Mickey Rourke was acting his nuts off and Robert was of course trying to out act him, I think that's why the movie was so good, the tension between the two characters was amazing. I'd explain why there should be but that would be a spoiler. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEX3c7mxu0s

Kinda like this. :)

Although of course I am not sure how much the audience would of picked that up in Angel Heart either. ;)
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

Dustin Hoffman is a good actor
But not, in my opinion, a great actor.
He was cool in sphere. [channeling 'deepak chopra' a great line by Stone] but im an sf buff.
In roles made for him he owns,, nuff said.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0hBmpHOO5I

The book Fallen Angel? no have not read.
Few remember angel heart it is a pleasure to meet one. in memory of epiphany proudfoot which made me feel ill
in her demise.
A powerfull movie and yes one few in the S.P.I.N took much notice of.
==================
danny devito as Pontius Pilate alongside Edward G. Robinson as jesus of nazareth.. [i imagine it, it makes m laugh.]
Jesus on mount, yeh yeh we gonna own this town, and no stinking cops(and their badges) are gonna stop me
==================

prill
Last edited by Hjarloprillar on Thu May 29, 2014 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skip

Post by Skip »

No one likes Dustin Hoffman. Well that's any eye opener and no mistake. I do but clearly I am alone.
Not any more: I'm a fan from way back. Not the Graduate - his more mature films.

Tootsie was by far the best drag movie - including Some Like It Hot . Ever see Who Is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying those Terrible Things about Me? Hoffman's turkey - I caught it at the 99cent Roxy - weird and kind of funny, but I'd hide it in a closet, too, if I'd made it. Rain Man was mazing - and I don't usually like Tom Cruise.

Favourites: Hero and Wag the Dog.

Sorry if they're repeats - I've been away for a few pages.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

The Comfort of Strangers,

Using a vaporous nighttime Venice as setting, the adaption of Ian McEwan's novel and the sexually sinister Christopher Walken as the star and director Paul Schrader has fashioned a film of surpassing creepiness. It's pretentious, too, and sometimes maddeningly dull. But the erotically unsettling atmosphere — exquisitely rendered by cinematographer Dante Spinotti — soon seeps in, not to mention the soundtrack, beautiful.

Christopher Walken, Rupert Everett, Helen Mirren and Natasha Richardson
The film is classified as Art House, so will not appeal to the masses.
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

reasonvemotion wrote:The Comfort of Strangers,
will not appeal to the masses.
the SPIN

personally i like concept flics.
And obviously ones that involve concepts i pursue in knowledge.
Anything related to time.
MI
Technology. perception an mind.

mixed with humanity it can result in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8U04Jr0mqI

at end of flic. [at grave] gump spoke my mind on determinism.
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »