Music

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Music

Post by Arising_uk »

Hi Psych,
Surely its got to be "Soundgarden's track 2 mins in sounds not unlike The Beatles- I Want You?".
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

hi psyconaut, it really does sound like Soundgarden, and you can tell immediately :shock: :D; and Soundgarden reminds me of the Stone Temple Pilots, and The Raconteurs remind me of 311 :D

and this one reminds me of god :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9gIIgI8oz4
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Surely its got to be "Soundgarden's track 2 mins in sounds not unlike The Beatles- I Want You?".
No, '2 mins in' is not a soundgarden track, I was indicating that two minutes into the beatles track has a sound especially reminiscent of Soundgarden. What you mean is "Is it just me, or does Soundgaren sound like The Beatles - I Want You?

Is it possible that the Beatles did everything in Rock n Roll years ago, and that everything since has been a more nuanced exploration of their broad strokes?

I kind of like that padma dude, I have seen him before. I don't completely dig his aesthetic and attitude, but I like the fact that he is out there doing his own thing and that he is a genuine seeker.

Btw b2b, haven't seen you around in a while, nice to see you again :)
Also, I am wondering why you selected Data as an avatar? I know this chick who has the hots for him, and Arnie as the Terminator, I think she has something of a fetish for robots, are you the same? :P
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

edit
Last edited by bus2bondi on Wed May 13, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

:shock:

Can I have some?

:P

Nice to know that you've stopped popping bubbles.

Sorry to hear about the blood poisoning, I (selfishly) hope it doesn't kill you. What's the prognosis? Should the pills sort it out, or are they just to help with pain?

What's the g.g. thread? I always liked Data, but I preferred his 'brother' Lore. Robots are certainly a cool idea, and I certainly find their many philosophical implications interesting. Have you ever read any Isaac Asimov? If you haven't you simply must! Perhaps I should start a thread about Robots, or would you rather have the honours?

You're right that the similarity kicks off right at the start, I just thought that 2 mins into it was a particularly stark similarity.

What do you make of Audioslave, Chris Cornell's collaboration with what remained of Rage Against the Machine after Zack de la Rocha absconded?

Audioslave - Like a Stone
Audioslave - Cochise

For some reason I think of Soundgarden as being a dark mellifluous yellow, and for obvious reasons RATM as a bright shimmering red... Audioslave puts me in mind of thin black lines forming a schematic on a white background.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Ah! Sorry, I think I understand now, you meant "Two minutes into a Beatles track I heard a riff/melody that I've heard before in a Soundgarden track"?
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

edit
Last edited by bus2bondi on Wed May 13, 2009 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

A_uk, being a musical philistine I have no idea what a riff or melody is; how can I mean something I don't understand?

b2b, glad to hear that you should be better in a week :) You really do have to watch out for mistakes on the part of health-care professionals, they are just as human as you or I (perhaps more so;)) and can readily make mistakes and errors of judgements; they are not to be trusted!

I have a couple of friends who are nurses, and one was telling me the other day about her shift. She is a surgical nurse, but most of the doctors she was working with were newly trained and with a background in medicine. There was one patient who had bowel surgery and was overdue for discharge but was still very ill. The doctors had just checked for heart and lung problems; hadn't thought to check for possible leakage from the surgery at all. She pointed out to them that considering he had just had surgery, a surgical problem is not entirely implausible. They ignored her, and the most she could do was make an official record of her misgivings. She hopes she is wrong about the leakage, but it is the case that even if he doesn't have surgical leakage it should be checked for. Sadly, these doctors are not likely to learn until someone dies on them :(

Star Trek is good :D What's your favorite series? I'm guessing TNG, mine was DS9. Star Trek has definately more than a few times touched upon interesting philosophical issues, as all sci fi has a tendency to do. I'd recommend some specific Asimov, but it's all good! If you can't be arsed reading then there's a couple of movies based (loosely) on his stories, I, Robot and Bicentennial Man.

I started a Cyborg thread not a Robot thread (at least I don't think I've started one?). The two have many similar issues, but also many different ones.

I think that music may alter consciousness, in part, by altering perception of time. I think we tend to perceive time differently depending on the number of events occuring, and music is a stream of events of varying density.

Regarding selfishness in music, I think it is the musician who directs his attentions to the audience who is the truly selfish one! He is harnessing his creative spirit after the goal of popularity, and in so doing I don't think he can create anything genuinely creative. It is a marketing exercise.
The musician who is concerned only with their personal creativity makes something genuine, something beautiful and quite possibly transcendent. Whether people can appreciate this or not, they crystalise some part of their spirit and then gift it to the world; the world may not appreciate the gift, but then that is up to them.

A couple more tracks..

Do you guys know Leningrad?

Ofcourse, you will know Placebo
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

edit
Last edited by bus2bondi on Wed May 13, 2009 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

I remember tribbles..

:shock:
i blame blame

Post by i blame blame »

Distemper - Мечта (dream)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xja70sq6xZQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Canton Mudders - The Ballad of Jayne Cobb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGwyzSFw ... ge#t=2m06s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Your music's lame, everything's lame
i blame blame

Post by i blame blame »

Psychonaut wrote:Your music's lame, everything's lame
Yeah? Well I wear long sleeved-shirts under short-sleeved shirts under long-sleeved shirts.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

You've checkmated my teenage cynicism