Music

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

reasonvemotion

Re: Music

Post by reasonvemotion »

Gilbert and Sullivan I loathe. I remember once having to sit through most of one of these, but I laughed so much, it became uncontrollable, trying to suppress it, I had to leave as people around me were glaring at me. That is the worst, trying not to laugh, when YOU CANT STOP IT! what a relief, when finally outside I virtually collapsed with explosive laughter. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that was agony! ever done that?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

reasonvemotion wrote:Gilbert and Sullivan I loathe. I remember once having to sit through most of one of these, but I laughed so much, it became uncontrollable, trying to suppress it, I had to leave as people around me were glaring at me. That is the worst, trying not to laugh, when YOU CANT STOP IT! what a relief, when finally outside I virtually collapsed with explosive laughter. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that was agony! ever done that?

Why would anyone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together glare at you for laughing at Gilbert and Sullivan, most, if not all, G & S are very funny all the way through. The only people who would not laugh at these are dullards who just don't get the jokes. When I was in college I took a basic course in music and the professor related this story. He and a friend attended one of the Rossini comic operas, they both understood Italian and were laughing at the jokes. Others in the audience were giving them dirty looks for laughing at the opers. Obviously the others had no idea what was being said and were only there to be seen as sophisticated opers buffs. Comic operas are funny and if you don't laugh it would be because you are too stupid to get the joke. Likewise tragic operas should make you cry or at least choke you up. Only a person with no understanding or appreciation of what they are seeing could sit stoic through any opera. Which Gilbert and Sillivan did you see?

I've seen 2 G & S operas as presentes by PBS on TV. HMS Pinafore was funny but I didn't care for everything. Pirates of Penzance was a real hoot all the way through. The basic motif that since the boy's birthday was on leap year, so he wasn't of age yet, just set the mood for the whole opera.
Last edited by thedoc on Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

thedoc wrote:
reasonvemotion wrote:Gilbert and Sullivan I loathe. I remember once having to sit through most of one of these, but I laughed so much, it became uncontrollable, trying to suppress it, I had to leave as people around me were glaring at me. That is the worst, trying not to laugh, when YOU CANT STOP IT! what a relief, when finally outside I virtually collapsed with explosive laughter. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that was agony! ever done that?

Why would anyone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together glare at you for laughing at Gilbert and Sullivan, most, if not all, G & S are very funny all the way through. The only people who would not laugh at these are dullards who just don't get the jokes. When I was in college I took a basic course in music and the professor related this story. He and a friend attended one of the Rossini comic operas, they both understood Italian and were laughing at the jokes. Others in the audience were giving them dirty looks for laughing at the opers. Obviously the others had no idea what was being said and were only there to be seen as sophisticated opers buffs. Comic operas are funny and if you don't laugh it would be because you are too stupid to get the joke. Likewise tragic operas should make you cry or at least choke you up. Only a person with no understanding or appreciation of what they are seeing could sit stoic through any opera. Which Gilbert and Sillivan did you see?
Orchestral concerts and opera were never considered 'high-brow' originally. The audiences were often raucous and irreverential. Italians have a healthy attitude to opera and they really know their stuff.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

'Gianni Schicchi' by Puccini was comic all the way through both in basic concept and detail exicution, so this clip is in keeping with the spirit of the opera,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiZcuzgJKT4&translated=1

BTW, the 'GrooveBarbers' are the evolution of Rockapella.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:'Gianni Schicchi' by Puccini was comic all the way through both in basic concept and detail exicution, so this clip is in keeping with the spirit of the opera,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiZcuzgJKT4&translated=1

BTW, the 'GrooveBarbers' are the evolution of Rockapella.
:lol: Wonderful.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

It was the Pirates of Penzance.

I think I was laughing TOO much for all the wrong reasons. 8)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

I can think of no reason for laughing too much at Pirates of Penzance. I saw it twice, first with Linda Ronstadt and Kevin Kline and later when Angela Landsbury took one of the roles. It was just very funny at many levels. What do you mean 'for the wrong reasons'?
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

It was an amateur production and the actors were so bad it became hilarious.

Not the professonial stuff you are accustomed to.

I vowed never to attend again for fear of being forcibly removed next time from the audience for uncontrollable laughter.

We sometimes recall that evening and still burst into laughter. So there, it was entertaining after all.
vegetariantaxidermy

reasonvemotion wrote:It was an amateur production and the actors were so bad it became hilarious.

Not the professonial stuff you are accustomed to.

I vowed never to attend again for fear of being forcibly removed next time from the audience for uncontrollable laughter.

We sometimes recall that evening and still burst into laughter. So there, it was entertaining after all.
There's no excuse for it to be bad. I watched a school performance of the Pirates of Penzance by twelve year olds and it was brilliant.
It's embarrassing to have an inappropriate fit of uncontrollable laughing though. I went to a show and one of the performances was an accordion orchestra. The woman in front of me had to leave because she couldn't stop laughing. I love it when that happens (to other people). :)
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

That cracks me up. That is exactly how it was.

Oh my, I am laughing now.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Here's a sample of the music I 'really' love, "Progressive (Art) Rock" at it's finest. Same composition. The first one is the original studio version and the second one is a live version at Montreux Switzerland in 2003. The first is just for the aural senses (best heard via a high quality set of electrostatic headphones), while the second one is mostly for its visual content. Enjoy!

Yes - Awaken (Studio Version HD Audio)

Yes - Awaken (Live at Montreux 2003)
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

speaking of accordion orchestras

starts about 3:20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w0GiekFaJw

-Imp
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

Khalid

Post by Khalid »

Really want to thank you for this song . different and and amazing .