What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Music

Post by gaffo »

Dubious wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:22 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:10 am
Dubious wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:17 am

You sure about that? As far as I know it still opens with the same theme as the original series...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfq356s5gbA

...the same symphony which contains the beautiful Adagietto heard in the film Death in Venice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Les39aIKbzE

It's possible they use Prokofiev for different scenes within the series. I don't know! I've only seen the first one many moons ago.
yes, I'm sure - its used in the latter part of the series (during the 1917 uprising) - I have the DVD set, and have viewed it at least 2 times - once many YT years ago (before they got anal and removed DVDs of old shows)- and once after the earlier veiwing on YT, after me buying the DVD set for personal reviewing.

- and so, yes. i'm sure.

Prok 4th has been a personal favorite since i first heard it in 1992, and i first viewed Fall of Eagles in 2013 on YT.

I know that work well Sir.
It's all good! I haven't seen it for a very long time - though it was a great series. The only thing I remember was the opening theme so appropriate for the subject. One remembers that which is repeated most often.
yes the old Brit shows (I'm not a brit - are you?) - just know thier 70's and 60's work was tops (Golden Age of British TV).

Callan, Fall of Eagles, Human Jungle, Gideon's Way, Secret Army, Colditz, In the Shadow of the Tower, 6?(so many i think it was 6) wives of henry the 8th, Elizebeth R, I Claudous, the prisoner

there were a few decent american shows/mini TV of the same time, but not as many.

today its all garbage - on both sides of the atlantic (nihilism - without social message).
Last edited by gaffo on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

forgot to mention - Danger UXB.

my bad.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

No! I'm not a Brit though my origins are European.

I remember a few of those...Danger Man, the Prisoner (both with Patrick McGoohan); Elizabeth R (Glenda Jackson); iClaudius, all great stuff when turning on the tube was worth it. Even some of the old American westerns weren't bad.

I agree, there's hardly any good stuff out there any more. It seems the greater the technology the more short-changed we are on content. Soon we won't need actors at all anymore! It'll all be done by computer graphics and special effects.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Dubious wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:59 am No! I'm not a Brit though my origins are European.

I remember a few of those...Danger Man, the Prisoner (both with Patrick McGoohan); Elizabeth R (Glenda Jackson); iClaudius, all great stuff when turning on the tube was worth it. Even some of the old American westerns weren't bad.

I agree, there's hardly any good stuff out there any more. It seems the greater the technology the more short-changed we are on content. Soon we won't need actors at all anymore! It'll all be done by computer graphics and special effects.
agreed, it sad that with all the choises we have not from netfixs to amazon (tec streaming "net shows" - none appeal to me - all are chasing the nihilistic bandwagon that the Suppranos started. i,e, there is a lack of creativity/balls seems like - just more of the safe depressing stuff "hay suppranos made a lot of money, lets make more of that!!!!!!

And its not like I'm a namby pamby either - not into 7th heaven hartsrings pap,. but do like life affirming stuff that is more authentic - stuff like Waltons is fine by me.

nor do i oppose dark themes - there was plenty of that in the 90's stuff like Dark Skies, Nowhere Man, x files, Space above and Beyond but such shows had character devolpement. themes (evil corporations/copr conspiracies), where the characters were in shit and striving to go right and find a way out and expose the conpiracy.

today all we have a characters that are assholes/part of the conpiracy/have not moral convictions to expose the corruption/conpiracy.

when i don't/can't identify with the characters in a show, i have no interest in watching it.

sadly that means all the show out there today ;-(.

noted your ! after your "no" WRT to not being a Brit.

lol, why the ! ?

I'm an American, but have nothing agains Brits, its not like we can choose where we are born Sir.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

sadly there is just a dumbing down (and coursness) to american culture.

for example:

original Planet of the Apes series (though some were not all that good), overall were better than the remakes.

why? becuase the intent of the original was about hypocracy - namely social statement about the hypocracy of organized religion "law giver" - apes made in image of God, man just an animal (clearly the original was a allagory on the inquisition).

the remake removed that social statement - and so removed the heart of the entire series.

same with the horrid newest "I am Legend" - theme in the second one with Heston (very dated now) - was about Racism.

need i even mention the remake of Rollarball (orignal was a commentary about the social control function of "bread and circus" -and based upon the original short story by Harry Harrison (i think)).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

at the risk of bombing this thread i will just conclude with this.

I have given up on mainstream movies years ago - all black/white no character dev.

not seen a good mainstream movie since i viewed as "7 yrs a slave" - and it was not really a hollywood movie since the director (made the earlier good movie "Hunger" was a Brit/indifilm guy.

"7 yrs a slave" was good because it showed a "slaver" as a good guy ("leftist" somehow did not notice this - saw no outcry) - this made it subtle, showed all sides and how slavery hurts the soul of the enslaver as it does the enslaved.

just turn you back on shallow hollywood pap, seek out foriegn and indi films, where character development and story matters over shallow fluff and special effects.

2-cents.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

gaffo wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:13 am

lol, why the ! ?

I'm an American, but have nothing agains Brits, its not like we can choose where we are born Sir.
The :!: is just a matter of habit which I usually use after a single word expression. I have nothing against the Brits either. After all theirs provides at least a third of my cultural heritage.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Dubious wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:37 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:13 am

lol, why the ! ?

The :!: is just a matter of habit which I usually use after a single word expression. I have nothing against the Brits either. After all theirs provides at least a third of my cultural heritage.
I see thanks for reply.

1/3 me too - other third nordic and other third irish/welsh.

not that it matters - it don't to me. as long as i'm human. i'm ok.
bahman

Post by bahman »

bahman

Post by bahman »

bahman

Post by bahman »

bahman

Post by bahman »