Music

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Music

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:37 pm Queens ..........
The Prophet, Bohemein(sp) Rapsody(sp) were/are tops IMO.

heard of the group you refer to, but not heard their works.

maybe they are as good?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:01 am Anyone have a favourite TV series theme? They don't seem to bother much with opening credits any more.

Some standout favourites from the very distant past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtYpJ8aqa2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii62pxMbMsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xDJD7miSQ4

Honourable mention:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MLkofLSYZs

Deliciously retro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQzk09j2lZ8
Lexx's Brigidoom theme i always loved - and the TV series itself (esp season 2)........................I just willfully ignore season 4 as if it never was (it is past bad - esp sad when viewed WRT to the other 3 season of that show).

season 4 never was.

ok?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:45 pm Accordion orchestras are ridiculous.
not valid to disparage instruments.

I'm not a fan of the Accordian (but it is a valid instrument and worthy of respect - as all instruments should be - even the Digerido(sp) and Jew Harp (this latter worked well in the Peanut's cartoons).

I do like the concertina - the accordian's little brother.

have several CD's (Solas come to mind) with that instrument used.

I like the Zylophone, Marimba, and Pianolin(sp) (the latter is used in the early CD offerings of Metamora.......a now long forgotten quality "new age band" of the 80's.

BTW - Nightnoise - another long forgotten "new age" band of the same long lost and forgotten dark age - 1980's - used the Penny Whistle - to great effect.

I love the Penny Whistle - Mark Isham used it to the full ablility in his soundtrack for "never cry wolf" movie.

Isham's other movie soundtacks are great too of course.

refer to windom hill..............oh they are now long lost after being bought by Sony? and erased..........

refer to Wiki/ebay.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:16 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:45 pm Accordion orchestras are ridiculous.
not valid to disparage instruments.

I'm not a fan of the Accordian (but it is a valid instrument and worthy of respect - as all instruments should be - even the Digerido(sp) and Jew Harp (this latter worked well in the Peanut's cartoons).

I do like the concertina - the accordian's little brother.

have several CD's (Solas come to mind) with that instrument used.

I like the Zylophone, Marimba, and Pianolin(sp) (the latter is used in the early CD offerings of Metamora.......a now long forgotten quality "new age band" of the 80's.

BTW - Nightnoise - another long forgotten "new age" band of the same long lost and forgotten dark age - 1980's - used the Penny Whistle - to great effect.

I love the Penny Whistle - Mark Isham used it to the full ablility in his soundtrack for "never cry wolf" movie.

Isham's other movie soundtacks are great too of course.

refer to windom hill..............oh they are now long lost after being bought by Sony? and erased..........

refer to Wiki/ebay.
Hence I said 'accordion orchestras'. I love the accorion in the right context.
vegetariantaxidermy

gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:59 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:01 am Anyone have a favourite TV series theme? They don't seem to bother much with opening credits any more.

Honourable mention:

Deliciously retro:
Lexx's Brigidoom theme i always loved - and the TV series itself (esp season 2)........................I just willfully ignore season 4 as if it never was (it is past bad - esp sad when viewed WRT to the other 3 season of that show).

season 4 never was.

ok?
I don't know what any of that is. I thought you were the old TV series fan (really old TV series), or is that someone else? I thought you might have some old favourites too.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

did not check your link - just noticed Magnatune - they still around?

was a fan from the odlen days when i trolled the usenet and they showed up on the web as "open source" - non DRM audio - no studio controlled outfit for smaller artists (2001 or so).

good to see they are still "fighting the fight". i respect that - even if it is hopeless (against wind-windmills).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:22 am

Honourable mention:

Deliciously retro:

season 4 never was.

ok?
I don't know what any of that is. I thought you were the old TV series fan (really old TV series), or is that someone else? I thought you might have some old favourites too.
you thought right - I'm the "old TV fan" (not because its old - there is plenty of old shit too, like there is new shit). I just note quality, and per my exposure quality usually equates to "old" moreso than "new"

there are exceptions - Lexx is one (its utterly contemptuous of Political Correctness (the "wicked bitch" episode is spot on in its parody/dissparaging of rabid feminism)

other excellent "new" shows -not older than dirt - are Firefly, Space Above and Beyond, Dark Skies, Journeyman

they are good not because they are old or new, but because they have good writing, good story, good script and good full character development.

most of the above show were cancelled early (due to being to smart and not enough "explosions" for the masses with short attention spans).

the Fox Suits are still bleeding over the censelation(sp) of Firefly nearly 2 decades ago......................so the suits are wrong some/most of the time.

BTW - I heard Rubicon was a great TV show -8 yrs ago - never saw it, not offered on DVD - it too - like all excellent shows, was cancelled.

I'll note the name, and wait until it is offered on Disc.

LEXX Brigidoom song is a good one BTW.

.................you can use google to youtube it for yourself madam.

if you care to.
vegetariantaxidermy

gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:35 am

season 4 never was.

ok?
you thought right - I'm the "old TV fan" (not because its old - there is plenty of old shit too, like there is new shit). I just not quality, and per my exposure quality usually equates to "old" moreso than "new"

there are exceptions - Lexx is one (its utterly contemptuous of Political Correctness (the "wicked bitch" episode is spot on in its parody/dissparaging of rabid feminism)

other excellent "new" shows -not older than dirt - are Firefly, Space Above and Beyond, Dark Skies, Journeyman

they are good not because they are old or new, but because they have good writing, good story, good script and good full character development.

most of the above show were cancelled early (due to being to smart and not enough "explosions" for the masses with short attention spans).

the Fox Suits are still bleeding over the censelation(sp) of Firefly nearly 2 decades ago......................so the suits are wrong some/most of the time.

BTW - I heard Rubicon was a great TV show -8 yrs ago - never saw it, not offered on DVD - it too - like all excellent shows, was cancelled.

if you care to.
I tried that but it seems to have quite a few songs. Which one in particular?
My post was only about the theme music btw, not the content of the series.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:26 am I think this is my favourite song in this universe.

Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
kudos to Mazzy.

good CD.

carry on.....
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:40 am

you thought right - I'm the "old TV fan" (not because its old - there is plenty of old shit too, like there is new shit). I just not quality, and per my exposure quality usually equates to "old" moreso than "new"

if you care to.
I understand, YT is a mix of vid-cuts. I looked for a short time for you (a couple of minutes) - no links offered the full theme song.

i'm, sorry.

the theme is there buried in the DVD set. - the intro does offer a part of it - if you can find the right intro.....lol

i cant help more sorry.

..........the show is a good one - why not just watch a few that are still on YT for its own sake and maybe one of the episodes will have the full song.

2-cents.

BTW YT become less and less for me - removing "Dissovery" due to lawyers and copyriech, and more a celibrity websie for narscisists.(spelling errors by me all around)
vegetariantaxidermy

gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:54 am

if you care to.
I understand, YT is a mix of vid-cuts. I looked for a short time for you (a couple of minutes) - no links offered the full theme song.

i'm, sorry.

the theme is there buried in the DVD set. - the intro does offer a part of it - if you can find the right intro.....lol

i cant help more sorry.

..........the show is a good one - why not just watch a few that are still on YT for its own sake and maybe one of the episodes will have the full song.

2-cents.

BTW YT become less and less for me - removing "Dissovery" due to lawyers and copyriech, and more a celibrity websie for narscisists.(spelling errors by me all around)
It would be good. The Canadians have a similar sophistication to the French. Their humour is nothing like the sledge-hammer Americans.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:00 am
gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:54 am

i'm, sorry.

i cant help more sorry.

2-cents.

It would be good. The Canadians have a similar sophistication to the French. Their humour is nothing like the sledge-hammer Americans.

don't know French humor but will defer to you in this regard.

i concur with Canadian (and Aussie, English - having DVD/viewed via YT their works).

there are a few american like me that value subtle humor - why i loved and bought the out of print DVD set of Nowhere Man (expensive now) - a fab show - well thought out about infinite conpiracies (show dates to the early 90s - same time as x-files - when such types shows were big).

sadly it was too smart to live past a second season ;-(. great stuff, esp in it "seriousness" in presenting it conspiracies..........it pure joy/humor if one has a small none of self consciousness/paranoia - with characters you feel for and and see "the conpiracy"(sp) they (he) is mired in.

Nowhere Man was a low budget UPN netork production.

i.e. a small network, that at the time needed good writing to live............................now long gone and merged into who-knows-what larger conglomerate. so no good writing need now for $$.

carry on......
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

LEXX was filmed in Halifax.

Lex Gigoroff(sp) - the writer died around 5 yr ago - around 50 yrs of age.

day before thankgiving (canadian equiv - forget the name of their holiday - no dissrepect to Canadians...just my poor memory).

chicken was found in the sink the day they found Lex. I assume he died of a heart attack (could be a stroke too i guess).

sad, the man (found in Fredricton(sp)? had talent.

he is in the first season - he is the young body that the old man's soul is transuferred into.

"I worship his shadow"

carry on............
bahman

Post by bahman »

bahman

Post by bahman »