Greed and Power

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Greed and Power

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:47 pm

I would say that it's greed for money and power that is the root of all evil: huge companies swallowing up smaller ones, less and less choice- with power concentrated among fewer and fewer people. Huge companies with few or no competitors can basically do as they please. Two large Australasian banks have just 'merged' (actually one taking over the other). This is happening everywhere, all the time. Dentists are one example. Small, owner-run surgeries are being bought up by big Corporations, usually foreign-owned. Now, instead of a friendly 'family' dentist, you take whoever is available in a 'soulless' clinic- like a piece of meat on a conveyor belt. Supermarket chains are particularly susceptible, especially as they provide the staples of life. How long before we only have one choice of bank, one supermarket chain, one energy supplier, one insurance provider, one choice of funeral director...? Large corporations are an entity unto themselves. Their sole purpose is to make maximum profit. What are the implications?
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

chaz wyman
Posts: 5305
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Greed and Power

Post by chaz wyman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:52 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I would say that it's greed for money and power that is the root of all evil: huge companies swallowing up smaller ones, less and less choice- with power concentrated among fewer and fewer people. Huge companies with few or no competitors can basically do as they please. Two large Australasian banks have just 'merged' (actually one taking over the other). This is happening everywhere, all the time. Dentists are one example. Small, owner-run surgeries are being bought up by big Corporations, usually foreign-owned. Now, instead of a friendly 'family' dentist, you take whoever is available in a 'soulless' clinic, like a piece of meat on a conveyor belt. Supermarket chains are particularly susceptible, especially as they provide the staples of life. How long before we only have one choice of bank, one supermarket chain, one energy supplier, one insurance providor, one choice of funeral director...? Large corporations are an entity unto themselves. Their sole purpose is to make maximum profit. What are the implications?
I agree with every word.

The consequences are a continuing polarisation of wealth, a diminution of democratic power with a reduction in working protections, social care mechanisms and state control. This leads corporations to seek to be based in smaller richer countries like Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Monaco, where they can avoid tax and corporate responsibility.
This leads to falling wages, lower expectations, a drop in demand and and eventual shrinking of world and local markets and the implosion of capitalism.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Greed and Power

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:36 am

:arrow:

chaz wyman
Posts: 5305
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Greed and Power

Post by chaz wyman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:37 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote::arrow:
:?:

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Greed and Power

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:38 am

chaz wyman wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote::arrow:
:?:
It should have been 'shock'-that you actually agreed with me about something.

chaz wyman
Posts: 5305
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Greed and Power

Post by chaz wyman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:22 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote::arrow:
:?:
It should have been 'shock'-that you actually agreed with me about something.
When you figure out that making a contribution on this site has nothing to do with personalities and every thing to do with the argument, then you will start making better contributions.

It is no wonder to me that your thread has not attracted anyone else yet, as you already have a reputation for attack rather than honest argument.

SecularCauses
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:06 am

Re: Greed and Power

Post by SecularCauses » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:56 pm

chaz wyman wrote:

When you figure out that making a contribution on this site has nothing to do with personalities and every thing to do with the argument, then you will start making better contributions.

It is no wonder to me that your thread has not attracted anyone else yet, as you already have a reputation for attack rather than honest argument.
What chaz is really saying is that he and his comrades try to manipulate posting on threads. The fact is Chaz has referred to many people as "fucking morons" and has made irrational claims against Jews, Americans, and in favor of the pseudoscientific claims of Marxism, to the point where he spends most of his time on personal attacks, because he has no logical basis for any of his claims. This site is basically a welcome format for anti-semites, anti-scientists, socialists, marxists, and American bashers. Just look at the majority of posts on this forum.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Greed and Power

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:08 pm

"It is no wonder to me that your thread has not attracted anyone else yet, as you already have a reputation for attack rather than honest argument.[/quote]"

@Chaz That's rich coming from you! Every time I disagree with you, you call me a fucking idiot or similar, or dismiss what I write as rubbish! I think I'm very reasonable-at least I try hard to be. It's not always possible to be saint-like, especially when you are banging your head against a brick wall!

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Greed and Power

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:11 pm

SecularCauses wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:

When you figure out that making a contribution on this site has nothing to do with personalities and every thing to do with the argument, then you will start making better contributions.

It is no wonder to me that your thread has not attracted anyone else yet, as you already have a reputation for attack rather than honest argument.
What chaz is really saying is that he and his comrades try to manipulate posting on threads. The fact is Chaz has referred to many people as "fucking morons" and has made irrational claims against Jews, Americans, and in favor of the pseudoscientific claims of Marxism, to the point where he spends most of his time on personal attacks, because he has no logical basis for any of his claims. This site is basically a welcome format for anti-semites, anti-scientists, socialists, marxists, and American bashers. Just look at the majority of posts on this forum.
I think you might be right about thread manipulation. I would have thought that people on a philosophy forum would be interested in this thread and have plenty to add to it. It also appears that putting forward a well-reasoned argument on here is construed as 'attacking'.

chaz wyman
Posts: 5305
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Greed and Power

Post by chaz wyman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:37 pm

SecularCauses wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:

When you figure out that making a contribution on this site has nothing to do with personalities and every thing to do with the argument, then you will start making better contributions.

It is no wonder to me that your thread has not attracted anyone else yet, as you already have a reputation for attack rather than honest argument.
What chaz is really saying is that he and his comrades try to manipulate posting on threads. The fact is Chaz has referred to many people as "fucking morons" and has made irrational claims against Jews, Americans, and in favor of the pseudoscientific claims of Marxism, to the point where he spends most of his time on personal attacks, because he has no logical basis for any of his claims. This site is basically a welcome format for anti-semites, anti-scientists, socialists, marxists, and American bashers. Just look at the majority of posts on this forum.
The same comment I made to Veg goes to you in like measure.
You are the master of insult and character assassination. You never argue the points, you just attack with no argument to back up your ideas.
It's obvious enough to anyone reading your poison that you can't make up your mind which political epithet to attck me with; nazi, neo-nazi, fascist, commie , leftie, Muslim, socialist. I've heard it all from you.
The only conclusion one could take away is that you are politically naive and don't know the most simple facts about politics outside your narrow hick-village in the wild west.

chaz wyman
Posts: 5305
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Greed and Power

Post by chaz wyman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:38 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:"It is no wonder to me that your thread has not attracted anyone else yet, as you already have a reputation for attack rather than honest argument.
"

@Chaz That's rich coming from you! Every time I disagree with you, you call me a fucking idiot or similar, or dismiss what I write as rubbish! I think I'm very reasonable-at least I try hard to be. It's not always possible to be saint-like, especially when you are banging your head against a brick wall![/quote]


And who have you encouraged on this thread, but you sock puppet, who is off topic and on the attack as usual - think about it.

And I thought you wanted to talk about Greed and Power?
You've made your choice

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Greed and Power

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:42 pm

chaz wyman wrote:
SecularCauses wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:

When you figure out that making a contribution on this site has nothing to do with personalities and every thing to do with the argument, then you will start making better contributions.

It is no wonder to me that your thread has not attracted anyone else yet, as you already have a reputation for attack rather than honest argument.
What chaz is really saying is that he and his comrades try to manipulate posting on threads. The fact is Chaz has referred to many people as "fucking morons" and has made irrational claims against Jews, Americans, and in favor of the pseudoscientific claims of Marxism, to the point where he spends most of his time on personal attacks, because he has no logical basis for any of his claims. This site is basically a welcome format for anti-semites, anti-scientists, socialists, marxists, and American bashers. Just look at the majority of posts on this forum.
The same comment I made to Veg goes to you in like measure.
You are the master of insult and character assassination. You never argue the points, you just attack with no argument to back up your ideas.
It's obvious enough to anyone reading your poison that you can't make up your mind which political epithet to attck me with; nazi, neo-nazi, fascist, commie , leftie, Muslim, socialist. I've heard it all from you.
The only conclusion one could take away is that you are politically naive and don't know the most simple facts about politics outside your narrow hick-village in the wild west.
This is weird. You are describing exactly what you do yourself. Perhaps you don't know you are doing it. I've always felt that you have it in for me ever since I started on here. What names have I called you? I did call you an imbecile, but that was after a long argument that got absolutely nowhere. There was no budging you on your stance, even though you were patently wrong.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9001
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Greed and Power

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:44 pm

chaz wyman wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:"It is no wonder to me that your thread has not attracted anyone else yet, as you already have a reputation for attack rather than honest argument.
"

@Chaz That's rich coming from you! Every time I disagree with you, you call me a fucking idiot or similar, or dismiss what I write as rubbish! I think I'm very reasonable-at least I try hard to be. It's not always possible to be saint-like, especially when you are banging your head against a brick wall!

And who have you encouraged on this thread, but you sock puppet, who is off topic and on the attack as usual - think about it.

And I thought you wanted to talk about Greed and Power?
You've made your choice[/quote]

See what I mean? You made the first attack! Sock puppet?? WTF?

chaz wyman
Posts: 5305
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Greed and Power

Post by chaz wyman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:56 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:[
And who have you encouraged on this thread, but your sock puppet, who is off topic and on the attack as usual - think about it.

And I thought you wanted to talk about Greed and Power?
You've made your choice
See what I mean? You made the first attack! Sock puppet?? WTF?
I think sock puppet is an apt description.
You abandon your thread in favour of supporting SC's further personal attack on me.
If you want a truce I'm always ready.

When YOU are ready maybe you could comment on my further comments that I made about your first post?

RE:
"The consequences are a continuing polarisation of wealth, a diminution of democratic power with a reduction in working protections, social care mechanisms and state control. This leads corporations to seek to be based in smaller richer countries like Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Monaco, where they can avoid tax and corporate responsibility.
This leads to falling wages, lower expectations, a drop in demand and and eventual shrinking of world and local markets and the implosion of capitalism."

SecularCauses
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:06 am

Re: Greed and Power

Post by SecularCauses » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:11 pm

chaz wyman wrote:
SecularCauses wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:

When you figure out that making a contribution on this site has nothing to do with personalities and every thing to do with the argument, then you will start making better contributions.

It is no wonder to me that your thread has not attracted anyone else yet, as you already have a reputation for attack rather than honest argument.
What chaz is really saying is that he and his comrades try to manipulate posting on threads. The fact is Chaz has referred to many people as "fucking morons" and has made irrational claims against Jews, Americans, and in favor of the pseudoscientific claims of Marxism, to the point where he spends most of his time on personal attacks, because he has no logical basis for any of his claims. This site is basically a welcome format for anti-semites, anti-scientists, socialists, marxists, and American bashers. Just look at the majority of posts on this forum.
The same comment I made to Veg goes to you in like measure.
You are the master of insult and character assassination. You never argue the points, you just attack with no argument to back up your ideas.
It's obvious enough to anyone reading your poison that you can't make up your mind which political epithet to attck me with; nazi, neo-nazi, fascist, commie , leftie, Muslim, socialist. I've heard it all from you.
The only conclusion one could take away is that you are politically naive and don't know the most simple facts about politics outside your narrow hick-village in the wild west.
No, chaz, it is you who starts with the racism, the anti-semitism, and the "fucking moron this and fucking moron that" crap. I know exactly what you are and that is a neo-nazi. You get your information from the neo-nazi hate sites. When asked where else you get your information from, you become amazingly silent. No serious science, economics, or philosophy journal would print that the Jews control the US economy, and the proof would be a list of some wealthy Jews. I have debunked every claim you've made on here, which is why you resort to childish insults. The fact is you are not impressive.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests