Are philosophers psychopaths?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Are philosophers psychopaths?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Why do philosophers need to agonise over right and wrong? Is it wrong to torture a kitten? Any normal person will say, 'of course it is', but a philosopher will say,' it's purely subjective, there is no right or wrong answer'.
SecularCauses

Re: Are philosophers psychopaths?

Post by SecularCauses »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Why do philosophers need to agonise over right and wrong? Is it wrong to torture a kitten? Any normal person will say, 'of course it is', but a philosopher will say,' it's purely subjective, there is no right or wrong answer'.
It's because philosophy and religion are virtually identical. They are anti-science, and here is why: The religious person believes that if god did it, then the world is meaningful. Meaningful because it has a reason for its existence. Philosophers are superstitious people writ large. If they encounter morality, for them it cannot exist unless it is somehow "rational." In other words, they are looking for the same meanigful nonsense that religious fundies look for. Scientists, on the other hand, just want to know what is out there. A scientist does not have to find morality rational or meaningful any more than a scientist would have to justify the existence of an electron as rational or meaningful. Philosophy is just an irrational religious belief that pretends to be something different from religion. It's not. Only scientists distance themselves from the nonsense of the religious; the philosophers just carry on the same old tired tradition, and are just as deluded.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

SecularCauses wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Why do philosophers need to agonise over right and wrong? Is it wrong to torture a kitten? Any normal person will say, 'of course it is', but a philosopher will say,' it's purely subjective, there is no right or wrong answer'.
It's because philosophy and religion are virtually identical. They are anti-science, and here is why: The religious person believes that if god did it, then the world is meaningful. Meaningful because it has a reason for its existence. Philosophers are superstitious people writ large. If they encounter morality, for them it cannot exist unless it is somehow "rational." In other words, they are looking for the same meanigful nonsense that religious fundies look for. Scientists, on the other hand, just want to know what is out there. A scientist does not have to find morality rational or meaningful any more than a scientist would have to justify the existence of an electron as rational or meaningful. Philosophy is just an irrational religious belief that pretends to be something different from religion. It's not. Only scientists distance themselves from the nonsense of the religious; the philosophers just carry on the same old tired tradition, and are just as deluded.
Education plays a big role in morality too. Some people have to be taught that others have feelings and that it's wrong to hurt each other. Most people today would say that hanging, drawing and quartering people is wrong, but a few hundred years ago the spectacle was considered a top day out for the family.
We have laws to protect the vulnerable from the immoral.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

I don't think philosophers agonise over whether or not to torture a kitten, unlike some scientists, it's not part of the job. What they want to know is whether or not there is a rational rather than emotional reason not to. Personally, I would not torture a kitten; I have no good reason not to, I'm just a big softy.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

there was a time when any normal person would tell you of course homosexuality is wrong we should execute them by castration followed by disembowelment

so the mere fact that normal people think some moral matter is obvious is not really philosophically interesting

but a philosopher may well ask what are the morally relevant differences here that would allow us to dismiss one - but not the other - as mere prejudice
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Then that 'particular' philosopher doesn't understand something very fundamental.
SecularCauses

Post by SecularCauses »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Then that 'particular' philosopher doesn't understand something very fundamental.
That would be pretty much all of them then.
SpheresOfBalance

SecularCauses wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
That would be pretty much all of them then.
But that doesn't change what I said, does it?
SecularCauses

Post by SecularCauses »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Yes, it actually does change it. You put the word "particular" in quotes, which is a statement that this problem exists in a single philosopher, as opposed to being pervasive throughout the discipline. How dumb can you be not to understand what you have written?
SpheresOfBalance

SecularCauses wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Yes, it actually does change it. You put the word "particular" in quotes, which is a statement that this problem exists in a single philosopher, as opposed to being pervasive throughout the discipline. How dumb can you be not to understand what you have written?
No it doesn't, she said 'a philosopher' which is a 'particular philosopher.' Context is everything my son. And so if she referenced another, then obviously it would apply to that particular one as well, and so on and so on. For that matter even you were smart enough to say "...pretty much all...," so you now seemingly contradict yourself. I was simply addressing the particular one in question, however many that might include, since she hadn't sited a definitive number.
Atthet

Post by Atthet »

Yes, just look at foggy and veggy for proof.
SecularCauses

Post by SecularCauses »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
SecularCauses wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
No it doesn't, she said 'a philosopher' which is a 'particular philosopher.' Context is everything my son. And so if she referenced another, then obviously it would apply to that particular one as well, and so on and so on. For that matter even you were smart enough to say "...pretty much all...," so you now seemingly contradict yourself. I was simply addressing the particular one in question, however many that might include, since she hadn't sited a definitive number.
Philosophers have to be crazy by definition because they do not deal with reality. Scientists deal with reality. Even plumbers. But not philosophers.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

SecularCauses wrote:Philosophers have to be crazy by definition because they do not deal with reality. Scientists deal with reality. Even plumbers. But not philosophers.
The question was whether philosophers are psychopaths rather than generally crazy, lots of us are that, dontcher know? But for all our faults and silliness, the accusation that philosophers don't deal in reality can only come from someone who understands neither science nor philosophy fully. Both are trying to make sense of the remarkable thing that is reality. It is very difficult to draw the line sometimes, scientists can quite legitimately speculate about phlogiston, lumineferous aether, phrenology, string theory all of which are complete hooey (probably).
What ultimately makes something science is whether the appropriate bells and whistles go off when the theory says they should. Essentially science is about how much, largely determined by mathematics, itself a subject that only occasionally brushes reality. The question of what the underlying reality is, ontology, is a branch of philosophy, even when it is done by scientists. As I explained in another thread, whether gravity is caused by warped spacetime of gravitons remains philosophical until either is unequivocally identified.
SpheresOfBalance

SpheresOfBalance wrote:But that doesn't change what I said, does it?
SecularCauses wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
SecularCauses wrote:Yes, it actually does change it. You put the word "particular" in quotes, which is a statement that this problem exists in a single philosopher, as opposed to being pervasive throughout the discipline. How dumb can you be not to understand what you have written?
Philosophers have to be crazy by definition because they do not deal with reality. Scientists deal with reality. Even plumbers. But not philosophers.
Incorrect, they have always dealt with reality, as the questioning of the nature of reality is that which bore philosophy in the first place, and thus science.
JasonPalmer

Post by JasonPalmer »

Philosophers are thinkers, combined with doers, they are very dangerous.

tis in our nature, to be what we are.