Formal Axiology example possibly giving real-world results?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

The Voice of Time

Formal Axiology example possibly giving real-world results?

Post by The Voice of Time »

I had to raise my eye-brows quite a big deal when I read this article where some philosopher-investigators, or logicians perhaps better fitting, tries to use formal axiology to study virtual massive-online world business branding, here (it's free PDF): http://www.csulb.edu/web/journals/jecr/ ... paper2.pdf.

I still don't understand how the letters written on paper can at any rate portray a reality, especially as I do not understand what the values: Practical, Emotional and Logical, are supposed to correspond to, and how you can possibly do arithmetics with it? Please read it (it's not that long) and tell me what the heck Practical or Emotional or Logical means in this study conducted with a methodology using surveys (which prompts the question whether the people answering the survey understood a shit of what they were telling)...

At the end this one is given as an aid, which still doesn't seem to me to justify the use of general words when the sentence is specific:

APPENDIX: Survey Items Used
Question Value
1 I feel great pride identifying with Mazda. E-E Emotional value associated with something emotional
2 What Mazda delivers feels right for me. E-P Emotional value associated with something physical
3 I feel I am able to trust Mazda completely. E-L Emotional value associated with something logical
4 Mazda does me good. P-E Physical value associated with something emotional
5 Mazda is a satisfying buy. P-P Physical value associated with something physical
6 What I get from Mazda is worth the cost. P-L Physical value associated with something logical
7 The uniqueness of Mazda stands out. L-E Logical value associated with something emotional
8 Mazda is a symbol of quality. L-P Logical value associated with something physical
9 Information about Mazda is always correct. L-L Logical value associated with something logical
10 Mazda is a good brand. - Overall measure of brand value