Coincidence, or directly related.

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jeneyw

Coincidence, or directly related.

Post by jeneyw »

The last contact I had with a friend was a fight. It had been building for awhile, and I drew an incorrect conclusion based on what I knew of what was going on in their life. I said I thought their business wasn't doing very well, and while they neither confirmed nor denied that (and it isn't my business either way), I took by their response they were hurt by this statement. I completely understand it looking back, because I would be hurt if someone said I wasn't good at my job, but knowing they are just starting out in a new business (about two years in) and the economy is not great and by their own admission that things were not what they would like them to be - I was concerned. And concerned their avoidance of me was something related to that. I was wrong.

Anyway, after that point, I haven't heard from them at all. However, I do (out of concern and an interest in mending fences someday), check out their business web page, Facebook page, etc. to see how things are going with them. Anyway, I sent them an e-mail around Thanksgiving and a few days later (the first working day after the holiday) they updated their business page on a website with new information. Right after the new year started, I once again tried to apologize and get in touch with them ... and found out later, according to their Facebook page, they create a new business web page (which they already had ) within minutes of the time I sent my e-mail. They also, the following day, did some other things online to promote and get the name out for their business which they hadn't done in the two years since they started their business (and would have been incredibly helpful at the onset to get their name out there).

I would like to dismiss all of this as coincidence. On the one hand, it seems unlikely that sending an e-mail to someone to apologize for something said months ago (and that might not even be true) would prompt a response like this in either scenario (especially one in which the timing meant that within a five minute span this person would have had to read a 1/2 page e-mail and react to it enough to come up with the idea to do something like that for no purpose - since the page hasn't been updated since, only created); however, it seems equally unlikely that the timing of my e-mail being sent and the creation of the page were within minutes of each other and only a mere coincidence.

Which scenario is more likely?