The Most Important Philosophers of Our Time...

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

The Most Important Philosophers of Our Time...

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

The word philosophy comes from the Greek φιλοσοφία (philosophia), which literally means love of wisdom.

I know of no better example of the display of the pure love of wisdom than the Philosophy Now Forum.

In Ancient Greece, the sophists were a category of teachers who specialized in using the tools of philosophy and rhetoric for the purpose of teaching aretê — excellence, or virtue. For those Hellenistic
Greeks Sophia was the personification of wisdom.

Throughout the history of man lovers of wisdom emerge through all walks of life to seek nothing more than the gaze of Sophia.

True philosophers must continually touch the moment, sense their reality, and interpret what they think and feel. Today's media demands distilled thought the type of thoughts or post that are found on the Philosophy Now Forum.

True philosophers must test their perceptions, thoughts, and theories. There is no better testing ground than the most legitimate philosophy forum on the planet; the Philosophy Now Forum.

Today there is no better published example and definition of the word philosopher above that of the active members of the Philosophy Now Forum.

Each and every active member, to varying degrees literates their perception of the love of wisdom for our entire humanity to see. And we do it, collectively, solely, for the love of wisdom.

We bow our head to no one.
Spit your best and back it up. No one here is a face, we are just a manifested spirit.

Each verbalization is an untruth. Yet untruth, when understood, can be used as a tool, a tool to point to a greater truth. Each greater truth unlocking a new perception, each perception tested, toned & tooled.

We don't publish our love of wisdom for money. Fortune or fame is not our goal. What is happening now at the Philosophy Now Forum has never happened within the history of man. This happening is beyond unusual.

The Philosophy Now Forum is an intellectual snapshot taken by a naked spirit.

Our forum is virtually limitless. The audience we post to is mankind, the entirety of mankind. There is no entrance fee. But this site comes with a price. You leave your accolades, degrees, and pride at the door.

We speak to the audience of mankind.

The Philosophy Now Forum is the personification of modern philosophers expressing the most important philosophies that mankind has ever heard. Free. Everyday. Without question or pretense.

Just philosophy; pure, unadulterated philosophy.

.....................................................Image

........................................................Sophia speaks through man.

Sophia speaks unchained. Sophia speaks just as easily through the alcoholic as through the academic.

In most cases, in my opinion, the alcoholic is more honest and more easily understood.

..........A drink to Sophia at the most important forum on earth!

.................................................Salute!

JohniJones

Re: The Most Important Philosophers of Our Time...

Post by JohniJones »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

The word philosophy comes from the Greek φιλοσοφία (philosophia), which literally means love of wisdom.

I know of no better example of the display of the pure love of wisdom than the Philosophy Now Forum.

In Ancient Greece, the sophists were a category of teachers who specialized in using the tools of philosophy and rhetoric for the purpose of teaching aretê — excellence, or virtue. For those Hellenistic
Greeks Sophia was the personification of wisdom.

Throughout the history of man lovers of wisdom emerge through all walks of life to seek nothing more than the gaze of Sophia.

True philosophers must continually touch the moment, sense their reality, and interpret what they think and feel. Today's media demands distilled thought the type of thoughts or post that are found on the Philosophy Now Forum.

True philosophers must test their perceptions, thoughts, and theories. There is no better testing ground than the most legitimate philosophy forum on the planet; the Philosophy Now Forum.

Today there is no better published example and definition of the word philosopher above that of the active members of the Philosophy Now Forum.

Each and every active member, to varying degrees literates their perception of the love of wisdom for our entire humanity to see. And we do it, collectively, solely, for the love of wisdom.

We bow our head to no one.
Spit your best and back it up. No one here is a face, we are just a manifested spirit.

Each verbalization is an untruth. Yet untruth, when understood, can be used as a tool, a tool to point to a greater truth. Each greater truth unlocking a new perception, each perception tested, toned & tooled.

We don't publish our love of wisdom for money. Fortune or fame is not our goal. What is happening now at the Philosophy Now Forum has never happened within the history of man. This happening is beyond unusual.

The Philosophy Now Forum is an intellectual snapshot taken by a naked spirit.

Our forum is virtually limitless. The audience we post to is mankind, the entirety of mankind. There is no entrance fee. But this site comes with a price. You leave your accolades, degrees, and pride at the door.

We speak to the audience of mankind.

The Philosophy Now Forum is the personification of modern philosophers expressing the most important philosophies that mankind has ever heard. Free. Everyday. Without question or pretense.

Just philosophy; pure, unadulterated philosophy.

.....................................................Image

........................................................Sophia speaks through man.

Sophia speaks unchained. Sophia speaks just as easily through the alcoholic as through the academic.

In most cases, in my opinion, the alcoholic is more honest and more easily understood.

..........A drink to Sophia at the most important forum on earth!

.................................................Salute!

Phhh! Harhararrgh...
I rush to the bathroom.
Salute? Yeh, up yours too.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Whoa! Whoooooa!

I should have warned you.

You don't need to be an adult to visit this site but you do need to be an adult to drink!

Gimmie that glass!

We'll salute again in a couple of years.

Perhaps then you will be more mature and you can join us

Until then, continue to visit the site and enjoy!

.............................Image

JohniJones

Post by JohniJones »

Whoa! Whoooooa!

I should have warned you.

You don't need to be an adult to visit this site but you do need to be an adult to drink!

Gimmie that glass!

We'll salute again in a couple of years.

Perhaps then you will be more mature and you can join us

Until then, continue to visit the site and enjoy!

As a living philosopher I deny maturity.
There are no goals here, so you may package them as you wish.

- But let this be known O Brothers and Sisters -
that we, here and now, give licence to the wind that it may blow our farts your way.

And let your mouth, unaware of the poisonous wind, be open, as if to take an uncommonly large breath, upon our eager gustations. Let your lungs fill with our farts thereof, as the gaseous intrusion of great de-merit moulds to your body, and may your attempts at purification be thwarted by a dry hand-basin.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

OK, so let me get this straight.

I'm stating that here, at the Philosophy Now forum you will find some of the most important living philosophers on earth.

We are topical, self correcting, and astute in distilling our thoughts to conform to a media that is changing the coarse of mankind. The internet.

We do this all, not for fame or fortune, but for the love of wisdom only. We, the active community here at Philosophy Now forum, post our thoughts for the love of modern philosophical thought itself alone.

And you JohniJones, wish to fart down our throats?

I state The Most Important Philosophers of Our Time are the Brothers and Sisters that read this post and participate at the Philosophy Now forum and you, you JohniJones will not lift a glass and salute fellow members?

What is wrong with you?

Why are you here?

....................................Image

Are you in the right forum?

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Throwing one more back.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7302

Here's to us.

And I am not afraid to drink alone in the dark...

..................................Image

JohniJones

Post by JohniJones »

[quote="Bill Wiltrack"].

OK, so let me get this straight.

I'm stating that here, at the Philosophy Now forum you will find some of the most important living philosophers on earth.

....................................Image

That's right. Amd here I am. Am I in your forum?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

It's our forum.

We are topical, self correcting, and astute in distilling our thoughts to conform to a media that is changing the coarse of mankind. The internet.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

I thought it you Bill who said we should not be trying to drive others away?

Is it that you meant just not those you agree with?

I think you a touch hyperbolic upon this issue as its just a very small forum.

I'm unsure what you mean by 'conform'? As I'd have thought this a not very philosophical thought.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I believe there is plenty of room for ALL posters here at the Philosophy Now forums.

In fact, I would love to see many more active posters here at Philosophy Now.

We, the active posters here at the Philosophy Now forums, are the best outlet for topical philosophical thought throughout the world!

Here at the Philosophy Now forums we are able to witness the questioning thought process of the most important philosophers of our time!

This post upon this thread is an unexpected treat for me to an absolutely perfect day.

I thank god; the moderators, active posters, and of course, the incredible Rick Lewis for this forum being here now!

-In addition, I would like to thank the poster that brought this much needed clarification to my attention. It is posters like this, on this forum, that, I believe, makes my above statements even more sound.

................................................Image

CHEERS! And I'm lifting one more - to us!

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

One more round...to us!

...............................Image

Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

the declaration of independence declared that all men were created equal

Samuel Colt made them so.

Thrasymachus smiles...

-Imp
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Help me out my friend...

Could you walk me through the meaning of your last post?

Thrasymachus
was a well-known Sophist, a teacher of Rhetoric, and he was a student of both Plato and Socrates. He made the distinction between philosophy and sophistry that the philosopher sacrificed everything, including eloquence, for the truth. On the contrary, he noted that the sophist sacrificed the truth for eloquence and persuasion. This premise leads to the profession of Sophistry being regarded as being shallow and it began to be regarded negatively. It could be said that Thrasymachus could be considered part of the reason that rhetoric fell under suspicion as to its validity in the pursuit of truth.

Thrasymachus
was characterized in Republic as a passionate dissenter against Socrates’ conclusions regarding justice. Thrasymachus is shown in the text to be passionate, almost to the point of violence, in his rhetorical exchange with Socrates. He goes so far as to advocate that injustice far outweighs justice, to which Socrates exposes the weaknesses of his argument. Thrasymachus famously blushes once Socrates has “tamed him.”

Thrasymachus’s
assertions in the dialogue reflect his notion that all societies are divided into ruling and ruled subgroups. He purports that there are three kinds of regime: democracy, tyranny, and oligarchy. It is in this dialogue that he exposes that he does not view the poor, slaves and women to be politically important, which gives Socrates an opportunity to expose the weakness of his claims. Though Thrasymachus is a skilled rhetorician, he is unable to avoid losing his argument to Socrates.

..........Image

Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Help me out my friend...

Could you walk me through the meaning of your last post?
you are missing the forest for the trees...

happiness is a warm gun

especially in your union master's hand.

-Imp
Typist

Post by Typist »

My god, that's brilliant!

I declare Incontinent to be the most important philosopher of our time!

After Baby Baba Typist of course...