a defense of drag show/drag queens..

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

phyllo

Re: a defense of drag show/drag queens..

Post by phyllo »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:49 pm In any case, in general heterosexual non Christians don't see homosexuality as a terrible deviancy, like you, they see homosexuality as fundamentally morally the same as heterosexuality. I don't choose to be straight, they don't choose to be gay, I have sex with consenting members of the opposite sex, they have sex with consenting members of the same sex. Outside of religious reasons for being disgusted by homosexuality, there doesn't seem to be, for the bulk of us, an ethical reason to think of homosexuality in the terms that you do.

There's the occasional atheist homophobe out there, and their opinion about it is mostly just rooted in the idea that they think it's gross. But thinking something is gross is no reason to make it illegal or dehumanise the people that like it. I think olives and mushrooms are gross, but I don't have any desire to make them illegal for people that like them. Most non religious people think similar to how I do about that.

So no, if you are indeed Christian, then I think it's more than likely that your distaste for homosexuality is probably very closely related to your religious background. I don't think it's a coincidence that a homophobe comes from a homophobic religion.
Abstract

Using the zero-inflated model and nationally representative sample data from the Chinese General Social Surveys 2013, this study systematically explored the effects of religion, modernizing factors, and traditional culture on attitudes toward homosexuality in China. The findings indicate that most Chinese people generally hold conservative attitudes toward homosexuality, as approximately 78.53% of the respondents believed that "same-sex sexual behavior is always wrong." Modernizing factors (i.e., education, exposure to Internet information, and liberal inclinations) predicted greater tolerance for homosexuality, whereas Islamic beliefs negatively influenced respondents' attitudes toward homosexuality. In contrast to the findings of the existing literature, Christian beliefs and traditional culture did not have significant effects on attitudes toward homosexuality. These findings may contribute to the literature by not only quantitatively testing the applicability of several factors identified in most Western studies of this topic but also providing new knowledge of attitudes toward homosexuality in the social context of China.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28956732/
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

phyllo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:12 pm
Yes, I can accept that China is an exception. Thank you.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:31 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:26 pm I have no values. I'm immoral you know that!
Fair enough. But you can't compete with me so why even try?
Because it is always easy to challenge narcissists like you. It's fun.
You've already contradicted yourself.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:10 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:24 pmMaybe the rise in bigotry is environmental?
My thought is that the term ‘bigot’ is simply a negative space-filler for an argument that is not forthcoming.
Just look in the mirror and you't see what I mean.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:28 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:26 pm
Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:22 pm
Contextually, that's what was happening. Sculptor was replying to someone who was saying homosexuals need to go back into the closet. You were vehemently disagreeing with sculptors reply, saying nobody's trying to impose anything, meaning you're defending the "go back into the closet" comment - ostensibly you're saying the go back into the closet comment wasn't about imposing anything.

Is that what you intended to do?
So now I'm responsible for someone else's comments? Get fucked.
No, you're responsible for what you said. Someone else says gays should go back into the closet, sculptor disagrees with them, you disagree with sculptor. You're responsible for that. If you disagree with sculptor, who is only disagreeing that gay people need to go back into the closet, as far as I can tell that means you agree gay people need to go back into the closet. Or at the very least you're arguing that it's not imposing to tell gay people to go back into the closet, or whatever else that guy is suggesting.
I rarely bother reading the comments of religious nuts. I thought it was just another one of sculptor's usual cowardly responses and stock insults for anyone who disagrees with him on this and most of the time it's me he's calling a 'bigot' or one of the selection of stock insults that wokies like him love to throw around. He very rarely addresses me directly. The thread's not even about gays anyway and I'm not going back over their tedious comments to find where gays were first brought into it. And no, I do NOT think being gay should be illegal, dipshit, or that they should be 'in the closet'. Even as a child, when it WAS illegal, I couldn't make any sense of why, or how, something like that could possibly be illegal or why anyone would hate them. Gays have never encroached on the rights of others, they only wanted the same rights as everyone else.
But I'm sensing your question was rhetorical anyway, and you have no interest in my response. So 'think' what you like. I'm not trying to win your friendship or good opinion of me :lol:
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Thanks for the valuable lesson. Taxi is not worth speaking with, she cannot maintain a coherent thread of conversation, and when she finally realises the moronic shit she has unintentionally been saying, that makes other people the dipshit. A second addition to the foe list.
vegetariantaxidermy

What did I just say? Not interested in an answer... Another misogynistic **** trying to tell women what to do. Foe away. (And no peeking) :lol:
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:37 pmThe thread's not even about gays anyway and I'm not going back over their tedious comments to find where gays were first brought into it.
Unless I am mistaken it was my reference to the book After The Ball. An engineered cultural shift which, in my view, has blossomed in our present. I proposed the term ‘deviance’ to refer to deviance from a norm or standard.

Additionally, I said that homosexuality (and I must include other forms of deviance here) must be tolerated but discouraged. The position I define is rational and not extremist.
vegetariantaxidermy

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:07 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:37 pmThe thread's not even about gays anyway and I'm not going back over their tedious comments to find where gays were first brought into it.
Unless I am mistaken it was my reference to the book After The Ball. An engineered cultural shift which, in my view, has blossomed in our present. I proposed the term ‘deviance’ to refer to deviance from a norm or standard.

Additionally, I said that homosexuality (and I must include other forms of deviance here) must be tolerated but discouraged. The position I define is rational and not extremist.
Why should homosexuality be 'discouraged' and how? Who is going to do this 'discouraging'? How will they go about this?
seeds

Post by seeds »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:39 pm ok, how about this... what exactly is the difference
between dressing up for Halloween and dressing up as
a drag queen? I can't see any difference at all..
Let me ask you, what if these guys...

...wanted to come to elementary schools and libraries to read stories to children in order to show 5-year-olds that grown men afflicted with the psychopathology of Infantilism are nothing but ordinary joes who simply like to dress up as babies, suck on baby bottles, and crap in their diapers.

In which case, will you also defend their desire to access our kids in the same way you defend the drag queens?

Or how about this...

Why not let a school or public library function as a kind of kiddie "job fair" venue with multiple booths where drag queens, nudists, adult infants, flashers, men with foot fetishes, etc., etc., can don their preferred costumes and demonstrate to the kids all of the wonderful options that await them when they get older?
_______
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"wanted to come to elementary schools and libraries to read stories to children"

Those men in the pics are too young to be in elementary school. They'd still be in preschool. Neither are most infantilists that age able to read.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:41 pm
Why should homosexuality be 'discouraged' and how? Who is going to do this 'discouraging'? How will they go about this?
As I am. Cultural conversation. Analysis of the effects of decadence on social life. Reasoned argument. Social activism. Education.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Hoooo boy. Seeds hits one out of the ballpark.
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

seeds wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:53 pm
Peter Kropotkin wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:39 pm ok, how about this... what exactly is the difference
a drag queen? I can't see any difference at all..
Let me ask you, what if these guys...

...wanted to come to elementary schools and libraries to read stories to children in order to show 5-year-olds that grown men afflicted with the psychopathology of Infantilism are nothing but ordinary joes who simply like to dress up as babies, suck on baby bottles, and crap in their diapers.

In which case, will you also defend their desire to access our kids in the same way you defend the drag queens?

Or how about this...

Why not let a school or public library function as a kind of kiddie "job fair" venue with multiple booths where drag queens, nudists, adult infants, flashers, men with foot fetishes, etc., etc., can don their preferred costumes and demonstrate to the kids all of the wonderful options that await them when they get older?
_______

If they want to read books to kids, I don't see why you wouldn't let them. If the idea was to provide some form of benefit, wait until the kids are older before introducing the concepts to leave a more lasting impression and perhaps create a greater retention of the subject. If someone was older, it could be used to teach a more valuable lesson on the fact that almost everyone is just as human as you are. It could stimulate greater understanding and reduce hatred and division between different groups as younger kids become older and avoid the same violent discourses we're being subjected to now. Otherwise, I still fail to see why it's any different from letting any other kind of performer read. If the argument is that they set a bad example, why expose a firefighter or cop to kids of that age? People within these professions regularly die sending themselves into burning buildings or getting shot when attempting to apprehend a criminal, and a job with the 18th highest on-the-job death rate must be just as bad as.. getting paid to crossdress.
Peter Kropotkin

Post by Peter Kropotkin »

Peter Kropotkin:
''ok, how about this... what exactly is the difference
a drag queen? I can't see any difference at all..''

seed, you still haven't answer my question,
what exactly is the difference between dressing up for
Halloween and a drag queen? I will answer your question,
once you answer mine...

Kropotkin