a defense of drag show/drag queens..

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: a defense of drag show/drag queens..

Post by Sculptor »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:28 am
Sculptor wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:48 pm Gender.
IT'S FUCKING BIOLOGY.
IT''S FUCKING BIOLOGY.

DUH FUCKING DUH.

Yes and some are gay some are trans and some are hetero.

ANd some are rancid old cunts that hate anything that is not straight because they are ignorant fucking FEMINAZIS
I'll just go with the flow and accept that this thread is somehow about trans people now, lol.

I think, despite her last post being wrapped in sarcasm and thus impossible to meaningfully respond to, she does bring up an interesting point that comes up now and then among people talking about this topic seriously, and that is this:

To the people who think gender is entirely a social construct, the existence of trans people actually raises some interesting philosophical contradictions.

You see, if gender in fact is biological, then being trans imo can actually make sense and be meaningful. Gender, biologically, would be a fact about sometimes neurology, presumably. And one could imagine that it's possible that a person born with a penis could have, in some sense, a female-ish neurology. And that could give you context for why people with penises want to live as women, be recognized as women, and have surgeries to make their bodies more female, to match their neurology.

On the other hand, if gender is entirely a social construct, then a lot of that stuff above doesn't really make sense. If gender is a social construct, then there's no meaningful difference between "I was born with a penis and want to live as a woman" Vs "I'm a man but I like wearing dresses and doing and behaving in ways that are seen as traditionally feminine". Those two statements become almost indistinguishable. And someone in that boat doesn't need a sex change, or to be recognized as a woman, what they really would need, hypothetically, is to live in a society where men are allowed to have feminine preferences.

And yet if you talk to trans people, even trans people who insist that gender really is just a social construct, and you offer up that theoretical world where men are simply allowed, with no social penalty, to have entirely feminine behaviours and preferences, you'll find that that's not sufficient for them. A lot of them say they would still want to take hormones, say they might still seek sex change surgeries.

And that to me indicates that the "gender" of people who are "trans-gender" runs deeper than something that is just merely a social construct.

I'm not of course saying that every aspect of gender isn't a social construct, that every aspect of gender is biological. There are certainly parts of gender expression which are entirely cultural. But there does, I think, seem to be something deeper than the social and cultural aspects of gender that people who are trans-gender illuminate.

This probably should be its own thread though, it has nothing to do with drag queens. I've started a thread here viewtopic.php?t=39835
Of course the issue of sexuality is both social and biological.
People like to divide it conveniently into one or the other and append words to describe one or the other.
Thus the phrase "gender is a social construct" is true, but ought not to imply that it is ONLY a social construct, which it certainly is not.
The notion that there can only be two genders male and female is, like marriage, a purely social construct. It not only ignores biology but masses of actual physical evidence.
It also ignores the history of the subject and is home to the bigot who lacks basic imagination, and seems to want their own twisted view of humanity to be imposed upon all others. This is a sort of xenophobia of the worst kind, and seems to grow in times of economic stress, not least because the rich and powerful wish to divert attention from their continuing looting of the economy to further enrich themselves. But that is another story.

I think you simply have to ask yourself did any of us actually chose their sexual orientation?
And given the fact the being off the "norm" of straight heterosexuality is seen as some sort of social crime, and those "afflicted" are evil pariahs - who the actual fuck would chose to be gay, or trans or anything other than straight?
If it were just a social construct then we could all be straight, monogamous, marriage seeking, parents or would be parents.

But the bigot has no imagination
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:50 am
I think you simply have to ask yourself did any of us actually chose their sexual orientation?
And given the fact the being off the "norm" of straight heterosexuality is seen as some sort of social crime, and those "afflicted" are evil pariahs - who the actual fuck would chose to be gay, or trans or anything other than straight?
I think it's unquestionable, at this point, that gay people do not in fact choose to be gay, any more than straight people choose to be straight. There's too much evidence. And like you I Intuit that trans people are not choosing to be trans - mostly - simply because the downsides of being trans are generally too huge for it to be an attractive choice to most people.

If gender were just a social construct, that almost implies about trans people that if they were raised differently, they wouldn't be trans...
Last edited by Flannel Jesus on Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:41 am Don't bring fucking religion into it. Stick to facts, science and reason. As soon as you bring religion into it you lose.
I am not quite as hostile to *religion* as many here are but that is beside the point. If we are to focus on the Culture Wars of the United States (drag queen story hour etc.) we will have to consider the perspectives of those who oppose these manifestations of deviant sexuality through moral concepts and arguments.

The entrance of these deviants into the public sphere has been a gradual process. And, frankly, it came about through the social normalization of homosexuality (After the Ball: How America Will Conquer Its Fear & Hatred of Gays in the ‘90s).

Once that peculiar door had been opened, and indeed it is now abnormal to oppose homosexuality or to critique it (or to repress it), it simply stands to reason that all forms of deviancy are valid.

It also seems to me that you (if I imagine that I can read your ethical or existential position accurately) cannot cobble together any argument against the new forms of deviancy but especially that of homosexuality. In fact (I imagine) you have no argument against transvestism or gender-switching except one based in a form of feminism (that it is wrong for men to 'become women' on a whim and, for example, demand to participate (and dominate) in sports as faux-women).

Science and facts operate together, no? But there is no moral or ethical proscription that 'science' can offer. These are cultural and social movements (for instance the increase in gender dysphoria among children). How could 'science' and the reasoning of science take any moral position?

My own view is that these are manifestations of social pathology and, similarly to a disease, they will go on (increase) until some sort of socially-defined breaking point is reached.

So to follow up what you suggest I cannot agree with what you recommend. But I am less an 'activist' on one side or the other than I am interested simply in understanding what is going on and where it is going.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:02 pm
I think it's unquestionable, at this point, that gay people do not in fact choose to be gay, any more than straight people choose to be straight. There's too much evidence. And like you I Intuit that trans people are not choosing to be trans - mostly - simply because the downsides of being trans are generally too huge for it to be an attractive choice to most people.

If gender were just a social construct, that almost implies about trans people that if they were raised differently, they wouldn't be trans...
Indeed.
It also implies that a "gay cure" could work, when of course such attempts fail, and could only succeed in psychological harm.
But the bigot wants it both ways and usually fall back on some idiotic fact of physicality; if ya got a dick your's a man; if'n ya ain't you a girl.

Nature abides and gives not a jot for "social constructs", none of us are guaranteed anything.
It might be that the increase in trans and homosexuality could be due to some environmental conditions, who knows,.
But for the individual concerned that does not mean it is any less real.
Maybe the rise in bigotry is environmental? Maybe its just a case of giving bigots healthy fats and protein and limiting their sugar and alcohol??
The evidence is that sexual orientation is a womb determined situation.

Essential watching for the BIGOT and reasonable person alike.

I do not think you can watch the whole thing without realising that transgenderism is not a choice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Girl_(film)

girl/boy
girl/boy
Capture.JPG (25.89 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:24 pm Maybe the rise in bigotry is environmental?
Definitely
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:24 pmIt also implies that a "gay cure" could work, when of course such attempts fail, and could only succeed in psychological harm.
The larger, prevailing ethic is that homosexuality (and other deviancies) exist and must be accepted in a liberal society.

My own view? Nevertheless it should be suppressed, not encouraged, not advertised, not presented as a viable alternative life-style.

“Back into the closet you go!” — yet it is a far more spacious closet.

There is a point, surely you recognize this? when the normalization of deviancy will become intolerable even to liberal-minded people.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:34 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:24 pmIt also implies that a "gay cure" could work, when of course such attempts fail, and could only succeed in psychological harm.
The larger, prevailing ethic is that homosexuality (and other deviancies) exist and must be accepted in a liberal society.

My own view? Nevertheless it should be suppressed, not encouraged, not advertised, not presented as a viable alternative life-style.

There is a point, surely you recognize this? when the normalization of deviancy will become intolerable even to liberal-minded people.
What examples of deviancy are you comparing homosexuality to? Do you think that if we accept homosexuality, there's a slippery slope towards accepting pedophilia, for example?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:24 pm
Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:02 pm

Indeed.
It also implies that a "gay cure" could work, when of course such attempts fail, and could only succeed in psychological harm.
But the bigot wants it both ways and usually fall back on some idiotic fact of physicality; if ya got a dick your's a man; if'n ya ain't you a girl.

Nature abides and gives not a jot for "social constructs", none of us are guaranteed anything.
It might be that the increase in trans and homosexuality could be due to some environmental conditions, who knows,.
But for the individual concerned that does not mean it is any less real.
Maybe the rise in bigotry is environmental? Maybe its just a case of giving bigots healthy fats and protein and limiting their sugar and alcohol??
The evidence is that sexual orientation is a womb determined situation.

Essential watching for the BIGOT and reasonable person alike.

I do not think you can watch the whole thing without realising that transgenderism is not a choice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Girl_(film)

Capture.JPG
'knew' he was a 'girl', yet according to you 'gender' is a 'social construct'. Why wouldn't a boy want to flit around with fairy wings? Plenty of actual girls aren't interested in doing that. Fuck off and grow a brain, or at least try to be consistent. Stop reinforcing gender stereotypes you archaic old bigot.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

I do not accept the term "deviant". That is the language of the Nazis.
Pretty soon someone will come along and find out how you deviate from the the norm. Then its you for the gas chambers

oooh poor victim~!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You seem to be a victim of your own bigotry - enjoy!
The difference here is that you want to impose your version of normality onto other people, whilst the people you like to call deviant just want to be left alone to life their lives with the same rights that you have.
vegetariantaxidermy

Sculptor wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:45 pm
Pretty soon someone will come along and find out how you deviate from the the norm. Then its you for the gas chambers

The difference here is that you want to impose your version of normality onto other people, whilst the people you like to call deviant just want to be left alone to life their lives with the same rights that you have.
No one is trying to 'impose' anything on anyone (apart from you of course). What 'rights' do transpersons not have that others do? I know that in this country everyone has the same rights in the eyes of the law. They wouldn't be wanting 'more' rights than others now would they? Surely that wouldn't be fair.
vegetariantaxidermy

A vulnerable defenceless woman. Must be 'social construction' that makes her act like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8cJyya ... hnnyRangel
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:50 pm

No one is trying to 'impose' anything on anyone
You're replying to a chain that started with someone saying "back into the closet you go!" about gay people.

Do you think homosexuality needs to be suppressed? Legally, or just socially?
vegetariantaxidermy

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:07 pm

You're replying to a chain that started with someone saying "back into the closet you go!" about gay people.

What does that have to do with me or anything I've written? Why would you ask such a fucking stupid question? Have you stopped beating your wife yet?
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:13 pm

What does that have to do with me or anything I've written? Why would you ask such a fucking stupid question? Have you stopped beating your wife yet?
Contextually, that's what was happening. Sculptor was replying to someone who was saying homosexuals need to go back into the closet. You were vehemently disagreeing with sculptors reply, saying nobody's trying to impose anything, meaning you're defending the "go back into the closet" comment - ostensibly you're saying the go back into the closet comment wasn't about imposing anything.

Is that what you intended to do?
vegetariantaxidermy

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:22 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:13 pm

Contextually, that's what was happening. Sculptor was replying to someone who was saying homosexuals need to go back into the closet. You were vehemently disagreeing with sculptors reply, saying nobody's trying to impose anything, meaning you're defending the "go back into the closet" comment - ostensibly you're saying the go back into the closet comment wasn't about imposing anything.

Is that what you intended to do?
So now I'm responsible for someone else's comments? Get fucked.
And as a matter of fact gay organisations are distancing themselves from the extreme 'transactivist' groups and standing up for women since transactivists have outed themselves as violent misogynistic shitheads.