a defense of drag show/drag queens..

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: a defense of drag show/drag queens..

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

iambiguous wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:43 am Doesn't it embarrass you at all to be made a fool of here?
If you did succeed, in the course of this discussion, in making strong, coherent arguments that moved me, I would not feel embarrassment but perhaps something more like relief.

Yet I have been reading what you write for months now and I do not find you coherent and I do not believe that you make good arguments. I have been forced, because this is one of the main things I am interested in and try to do, to attempt to understand why your thinking is muddled, why you seem stuck in a loop, what predicates you have absorbed and converted into axioms, and then to examine the connection between how you think and the larger, general thinking errors that are common and prevalent today and which I regard as 'infections' and as psychologically pathological.

So with that said let me go right to the meat of what I believe we are talking about here or what the issue really is and why people are riled up about it. First off, it is not about some person who desires to dress up in drag. This goes on all the time and has been for decades. There are burlesque clubs where these acts are presented and in a liberal society like ours there are legitimate places for this stuff that no one has any legal right to stop.

What is it about then? It is about state actors (teachers, schools, officials) who have roles in pedagogy purveying to under-age children information and imagery that has to do with adult sexual matters. The sociological, political and philosophical question can here be asked: Why are they doing this? What is going on here? To make this analysis one has to back-track into ideological, social and political ideas that were introduced into the intellectual world in the American postwar. Mostly in the Sixties though the roots (of the ideas) have a deeper history. That deeper history can be outlined and explored.

For this reason I have referred to and submitted the work of James Lindsay as sets of ideas that can be taken into consideration. Can these be broken down into simple elements that I might include here? I must note that simplifying things into bullet-points is, in my view, often employing reductionist strategies, so I do not think any statement I would make about Lindsay's work can be presented here without you and those who read here taking the time to study his material. So abbreviations are not helpful here. But they must be made in order to open up the conversation. The issues of our day are complex indeed. In fact they are compounded in complexity and this makes it that much harder to get clear about what really is going on.

So with this said, it is my view that we have to turn out attention to an examination of Marxism, Marxist principles, and to adaptations of Marxism that were developed in the post-Sixties and employed in political and social struggles. That group or those areas of political and social concern are Marxian Feminism, Queer Theory, Critical Race Theory, Disability Studies, and Fat Studies. And I will submit here an outline of what Lindsay has identified as these primary areas of Marxian activism.

Within this field is the politicization of sexuality and also the issue of child sexuality. Though I have opened up the field to a wide range of politicized concerns my core argument is as I say about state actors (in the pedagogic field) introducing adult sexual content into schools and other public spheres and, as I say, working to engineer or reengineer sexual mores through a focus on the instruction of children.

Sober individuals, in my view, will recognize that parents who become aware of both the specific issue here and the larger issues alluded to, have a legitimate right to be concerned and to resist these actions and activities. If you (and anyone) is interested in understanding what this concern is about it is very easy to research it.

However, it is vital to point out that those who hold to opposing ideas, and express their ideas, are often vilified in the public sphere. And this vilification is part of PR activities that use techniques of guilt-slinging and of course what has become known as 'cancellation'. To define the ideas that I have merely introduced here is a suspect moral activity.
Right. As though down through the ages historically and across the globe culturally, there have not been any number of conflicting moral narratives and political agendas in regard to all of the many, many conflicting goods that have rent the species going back to the pre-Socratics.
All that you are saying here is that there is conflict, difference of opinion, and social struggle. To note that is not really to make any substantive argument. And as well it does not change the fact that you and I and all of us will have to engage, and can engage, with the important issues and questions if we are prepared to do so. When I say prepared I mean if we have the tools to be able to reason things through.

As a 'moral nihilist' (if you are indeed one) what you are doing, though you do it in a strange neurotic way, is asserting that you see no alternative to moral nihilism.

And it is my view that it is there that one can notice and point out the 'loop' in which you are trapped. So those parents who are concerned about the sexualization of their children, or the borderline where child abuse and 'grooming' occur do not share your view that morals do not exist or are irrelevant. For them it is very real and, indeed, in law these issues are very real indeed.
As though no matter how vast and varied the historical or cultural or personal experiences one might be confronted with, if we all just think about drag queens reasonably and intelligently we'll all think about them...like you do?
Here, you reduce a far larger issue and genuine concern down to something ridiculous. If a man in a burlesque club dresses up as a woman and dances and entertains on stage I am not concerned. And in any case my *concern* is little relevant since that person is within their rights in our liberal society to carry on as they wish.

But when their activity extends to the education and the reeducation of children at a pedagogic level, and when the state and powerful private corporations get behinds a 'socially transforming' and 'engineering' strategy, the issue can be compared to the very real and very important critique of the *military-industrial complex*. If the State is in a relationship of collusion with private military industry, and the state foments war for the purposes of benefitting and enriching the private sector, this is a legitimate area of concern. Similarly, if the state and private corporations get involved in social engineering projects that deal on sexuality, gender identity, and all we see taking place today, then it stands to sound reason that this can be examined from a philosophical, political and social perspective. Therefore the work of Jennifer Bilek can be legitimately examined by thoughtful people.

[The woman in the video linked to outlines the collusion I refer to by naming the groups and entities. Her channel is Christian in orientation and though I do not think a Christian argument is needed to oppose what is outlined, I include it because there is a wide range of people in the country who are concerned about these things, and those who have a Christian foundation are definitely among them].
Okay, in regard to your own moral and political prejudices pertaining to drag queens, how are the points I raise in the threads above not applicable to you?
You keep repeating what I regard as a ridiculous reduction because you do not seem capable nor interested in examining a larger issue because (I gather) of your position within moral nihilism.
That way those of us here can explore the extent to which you and he are on the same page or not. In terms of both means and ends.
Presently, I am discussing the ideas that inform our views and our perceptions. You negatively label this as being inclined to fiddle around in the intellectual clouds. But we must become capable of seeing how ideas operate (ideas have consequences) and we must become capable of parsing through them.
You'll like him [Satyr], in my opinion, because, like you, he spends most of his time up in the intellectual contraption clouds.
I very briefly examined some of what Satyr has written. It is not hard to see his *areas of concern* and, if you asked me, I'd say they are valid. But he may or may not successfully develop convincing arguments for his value-assertions and the same is true for me and for anyone.

But the most relevant activity for all of us? Get clear about what, in fact, is being argued; what values and principles are being defined and defended; and what the consequences of these are.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

iambiguous wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:24 pmAnd he and his ilk are always important to bring up because, in my view, they reflect the most dangerous sort of objectivists. The kind that, in regard to things like race and ethnicity and Jews and gender and sexuality and politics and the like, they are, for those who are deemed to be "one of them", in the "or else" category.

Think particular Nazis or Communists and their reeducation camps and show trials and gulags and gas chambers.
In my view I see no reason why these concerns cannot or should not be considered. However, what I can will additionally say is that if your concern is valid and important, then it is for that reason that in the video interview I submitted just above, what the presenter says is valid:
... a lot of what she (Bilek] has dug up, it's that important, I kind of wanted to just read some excerpts from her article so you can get all of the contacts for the other things that she is going to tell us today, she has a very unique perspective on this that I think that you're going to get a lot out.

So there was an article that was written for the American Conservative last year in June foundations are setting the transgender agenda and targeting children and what Jennifer posits what she has found is that this is not just kind of like a bottom-up movement of innocent people trying to be included in society but actually she says governments, corporations, politicians, medical institutions, and schools, banks, pharmaceutical companies, technology, the media and Hollywood, are promoting the normalization of body dissociation in children. They are destroying our children's bodies at the altar of gender identity and they are also silencing critique ...
Therefore, the collusion between the state and private industry and the use of public relations and propaganda tools to reeducate or to 'engineer' sexual attitudes is a topic that can be seen as having immediate validity and importance.

What some say, I personally think they are onto something, is that a good deal of what is going on today and what is purveyed through media systems can be compared to the social and political manipulation that you refer to. Parallels can be drawn and they are being drawn.
Peter Kropotkin

Post by Peter Kropotkin »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:39 am
iambiguous wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:04 am Well, that was a complete waste of time. :roll:
Unlike your incessant obsession with a forum full of people you hate you. That's a completely effective use of your time...

K: as I have stated before, I believe that "iam"
is the best philosopher on this site or on ILP...
of anyone here, he has the single best understanding of
the issues that face him....( some have suggested that "iam"
is a women, and who gives a fuck, the point is not about some
accidental aspect of their lives, its what we do with the questions
that we face as human beings) of anyone here, he understands
and will point out, rather incessantly the questions, that are of interest
to him.... in some respects, I wish I could be so focused and
single minded on the questions facing our own existence....
what does it mean to be human? What are we to believe in?
What are we to do, collectively and individually?

questions of fundamental importance.. if we only recognized
them as fundamental questions...

I admire ''iam'' as someone who does what it takes to
find answers to the questions that they seek.

Kropotkin
Peter Kropotkin

Post by Peter Kropotkin »

like many, Alex J. believes that drag shows/queens
are "Morally" wrong, but that leaves out several questions,
for example, under what overall moral/ethical standards
is he using? I believe that his belief, is an ''ad hoc''
belief... a temporary, short-term belief with no actual
thought into it...why, why is draq queens/show
unethical, immoral? Under what overall ethical
system are drag shows/drag queens wrong?
what is the overall, social implications of drag shows/queens?
what does it mean to a society/state/civilization to allow,
or to prevent drag show/gay people? if ask, AJ will say its wrong,
but he won't or actually can't say why.. what is the overall, social
impact of drag shows?

and the second part of this, is easier to point out...
by focusing on such "cultural war issues" it allows people
like AJ to avoid asking the real question, am I actually
a moral/ethical person? to ask/say, drag shows are immoral,
allows AJ to avoid the hard question of wondering, am I
a moral/ethical person?

and under what overall ethical/moral system allows me to
think that I am a moral/ethical person? it is an easy
thing to avoid the hard question of, am I a moral/ethical person?
by asking or saying, without any understanding of why, why
are drag shows/drag queens/gay people unethical/immoral?

AJ is just another person who would fail his own test of
being ethical/moral because he has actually never given
any thought to this question, "am I a moral/ethical person
and why is that, what standard am I using to decide that I
am an ethical/moral person?''

for AJ, he was indoctrinated, as a child, with the belief that
that drag queens and drag shows and gays are unethical/immoral,
but he hasn't the courage to ask, why? why is being a drag queen/
drag shows/gays, unthical/immoral?

and then being the entire question around his own actions..
for it is easy too attack others because it allows one to avoid
asking the most important question, am I living up to my own standards?

Kropotkin
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:51 pm
iambiguous wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:04 am Well, that was a complete waste of time. :roll:
Unlike your incessant obsession with a forum full of people you hate you. That's a completely effective use of your time...
K: as I have stated before, I believe that "iam"
is the best philosopher on this site or on ILP...
of anyone here, he has the single best understanding of
the issues that face him....( some have suggested that "iam"
is a women, and who gives a fuck, the point is not about some
accidental aspect of their lives, its what we do with the questions
that we face as human beings) of anyone here, he understands
and will point out, rather incessantly the questions, that are of interest
to him.... in some respects, I wish I could be so focused and
single minded on the questions facing our own existence....
what does it mean to be human? What are we to believe in?
What are we to do, collectively and individually?

questions of fundamental importance.. if we only recognized
them as fundamental questions...

I admire ''iam'' as someone who does what it takes to
find answers to the questions that they seek.

Kropotkin
Idk if it was clear who I was talking about in that post when I said "a forum full of people who hate you."

I wasn't talking about ilp or this forum, I was taking any KTS.

I don't hate Iam. I don't hate anyone here, and lord knows there's a lot of people here who I like a lot lot lot less than iam.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:26 pm like many, Alex J. believes that drag shows/queens are "morally" wrong, but that leaves out several questions, for example, under what overall moral/ethical standards
is he using?
If after reading what I wrote this AM, and that is your takeaway, you confirm to me what I said previously: you are scatterbrained and have very real comprehension problems.

If that is so — it looks to be so — the next question is How has that come about? That you read something, misread it, and offer a phantasy mis-interpretation of what you read. How can this be? (I ask rhetorically).

I can understand why you’d see Iambiguous as an admirable intellect. But only through critiquing that your reasoning is muddled and that Iambiguous is caught in a loop that consumes him.

Note that I clearly indicated where the moral issue I identify as valid and genuinely concerning is located: when adult sexual topics become pedagogic themes in public education. Yes, my concern is indeed moral. And I am not a ‘moral nihilist’ nor a ‘moral relativist’ in this area.

But choosing as well to rise up a bit above this issue of the adult sexualization of children I would also say that to understand the social conflicts of today can only involve understanding the predicates, moral as well as legal, that people in society hold to.

Your own presentation, so far, has been and is thoroughly shallow. You obviously are stuck in a place where your own moral sense has not been clarified in relation to the real issue at the core. So muddled thinking results in a muddled moral sense.

What is the cure? Philosophical clarification. A stronger engagement with the issue at a depth level. My sense is you will avoid this perhaps at all cost.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

They despise me, in my view, because the arguments I make disturb them. Not unlike those who are contemptuous of me here. The objectivists by and large. And the Stooges. Though some are certainly intelligent enough to grasp the implications of my arguments for their own precious Self.

It's the "what if" part:

1] what if they themselves come to believe [as I do] that we live an essentially meaningless and purposeless existence
2] what if they themselves come to grasp [as I do] the existential implications of dasein and begin to feel fractured and fragmented in regard to their moral and political prejudices
3] what if they themselves come to believe [as I do] that death = oblivion

Then these things...
1] I argue that while philosophers may go in search of wisdom, this wisdom is always truncated by the gap between what philosophers think they know [about anything] and all that there is to be known in order to grasp the human condition in the context of existence itself. That bothers some. When it really begins to sink in that this quest is ultimately futile, some abandon philosophy altogether. Instead, they stick to the part where they concentrate fully on living their lives "for all practical purposes" from day to day.

2] I suggest in turn it appears reasonable that, in a world sans God, the human brain is but more matter wholly in sync [as a part of nature] with the laws of matter. And, thus, anything we think, feel, say or do is always only that which we were ever able to think, feel, say and do. And that includes philosophers. Some will inevitably find that disturbing. If they can't know for certain that they possess autonomy, they can't know for certain that their philosophical excursions are in fact of their own volition.

3] And then the part where, assuming some measure of autonomy, I suggest that "I" in the is/ought world is basically an existential contraption interacting with other existential contraptions in a world teeming with conflicting goods --- and in contexts in which wealth and power prevails in the political arena. The part where "I" becomes fractured and fragmented.
And, of course, "the gap", "Rummy's Rule" and the "Benjamin Button Syndrome"

Look, all I can do is to tap the objectivists on the virtual shoulder in places like this and ask them to explain to me why and how, given a particular context, they don't think as I do at all.

Here it's drag queens and human sexuality. And, on other threads, something different.

Again, "win/win" I call it. They manage to bring me up out of the philosophical hole I've dug myself down into or I manage to bring them down into with me.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

iambiguous wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:11 pm Again, "win/win" I call it. They manage to bring me up out of the philosophical hole I've dug myself down into or I manage to bring them down into with me.
It seems pretty consistently like neither one of those things happen.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Pure mind-fuck, Iambiguous. You want to convince others to succumb as you have succumbed to this enormous neurotic intellectual contraption and the skyhook that you haul yourself around in.

The parents concerned about the lives of their children and their well-being will not be convinced by these absurd arguments. And this reasoning illness that you suffer from, if it manifests in policy choices that go against their sense of what is right, they will resist you and the mental sickness you embody.

Getting at all clearer?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:40 am "Unlike your incessant obsession with a forum full of people you hate you. That's a completely effective use of your time..."

if you've ever shot at fish in a barrel, you'd understand the compulsion to keep going there. it's hard to resist man.
That's true.

Only at KT, when the fish there are made fools of, they toss you out of the discussions altogether.

Here's the thing though...

You're still a member -- a "user" -- there. Satyr is more than willing to allow you to read all the scathing things he and others get to say about you, knowing that you yourself are greeted there with this:

Permissions in this forum: