Be A Loner

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Be A Loner

Post by Gary Childress »

duszek wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:45 pm On the one hand our relationships with other people can better, yes, but also maybe worse too, because we lack experience and cannot as easily see through manipulative people.

Damn straight! You hit the nail on the head with that one.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

What does a dog not do? I feel this is a critical question to ask.
duszek

Post by duszek »

A loner can arouse suspicion or even fear, other people can worry that a loner is weird or unhinged and thus dangerous.
In the old days lonely women were suspected of witchcraft.
In "Wuthering Heights" young Mrs Heathcliff positively tries to threaten her family by saying that she studies witchcraft (one cow already died).

A slighter version of a loner would be a communicative person with a backbone, who withstands social expectations by chosing freely social activities they really care for.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Agent Smith wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:49 pm What does a dog not do? I feel this is a critical question to ask.
"Tolerably early in life I discovered that one of the unpardonable sins, in the eyes of most people, is for a man to go about unlabeled. The world regards such a person as the police do an unmuzzled dog."
-- Thomas Henry Huxley
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Walker wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:15 am
Agent Smith wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:49 pm What does a dog not do? I feel this is a critical question to ask.
"Tolerably early in life I discovered that one of the unpardonable sins, in the eyes of most people, is for a man to go about unlabeled. The world regards such a person as the police do an unmuzzled dog."
-- Thomas Henry Huxley
Glad you noticed! A dog doesn't do photosynthesis! Nothing special about that though. Even cats don't.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Agent Smith wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:00 am
-- Thomas Henry Huxley
Glad you noticed! A dog doesn't do photosynthesis! Nothing special about that though. Even cats don't.
Yes. Offhand, we can say that the pitfall of the innate human tendency to recognize order is the compulsion to establish order, without recognition that the order being established hinges on the recognizer’s capacity to account for all relevant elements of any particular situation when assigning the order. If all the elements can indeed be accounted for, including trace molecular amounts, in relationship to every other element singly and in totality, then the three times merge into one and omniscience informs awareness.

Being not God but mere puny humans ruled by the desires and ignorance that masks knowledge of All the elemental factors that comprise any situation, we reach for the broad stokes when in fact some unknown, perhaps as small as a virus, is the significant mover. Dogs, although somewhat larger, are more transparent in their analysis of the elements, which is why they are under the more advanced human dominion. What’s important to remember about the dog realm is that the nuances of their personalities are irrelevant to the broader scope of human apprehension, unless one is establishing a personal relationship with the beast, and because of human understanding that eclipses instinct, humans can see that you cannot have a devious dog. Such an ordering does not apply to Dogdom, and one of them can easily become a best friend.

Dogs cannot mask their thoughts because they are not self-conscious and thus have no shame, however we can be certain that their ignorance concerning photosynthesis does not earn them the label of photosynthophile, which could possibly be a human affliction in Bizarro World, especially if it causes one to be a Victim of those who cause the climate to change into an early summer vacation.

What do you say?

:|
Walker

Post by Walker »

Impenitent wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:53 pm you can even charge interest

-Imp
Interest earned buys a ticket to the philosophy show.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

duszek wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:45 pm On the one hand our relationships with other people can better, yes, but also maybe worse too, because we lack experience and cannot as easily see through manipulative people.
I see a couple of ways to deal with this issue - a couple of ways at a high level of abstraction, that is.
Avoid people.
Learn from interacting with people and get better at noticing and dealing manipulation - and then avoiding certain people as one of the measures taken.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Walker wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:26 pm
Agent Smith wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:00 am
-- Thomas Henry Huxley
Yes. Offhand, we can say that the pitfall of the innate human tendency to recognize order is the compulsion to establish order, without recognition that the order being established hinges on the recognizer’s capacity to account for all relevant elements of any particular situation when assigning the order. If all the elements can indeed be accounted for, including trace molecular amounts, in relationship to every other element singly and in totality, then the three times merge into one and omniscience informs awareness.

Being not God but mere puny humans ruled by the desires and ignorance that masks knowledge of All the elemental factors that comprise any situation, we reach for the broad stokes when in fact some unknown, perhaps as small as a virus, is the significant mover. Dogs, although somewhat larger, are more transparent in their analysis of the elements, which is why they are under the more advanced human dominion. What’s important to remember about the dog realm is that the nuances of their personalities are irrelevant to the broader scope of human apprehension, unless one is establishing a personal relationship with the beast, and because of human understanding that eclipses instinct, humans can see that you cannot have a devious dog. Such an ordering does not apply to Dogdom, and one of them can easily become a best friend.

Dogs cannot mask their thoughts because they are not self-conscious and thus have no shame, however we can be certain that their ignorance concerning photosynthesis does not earn them the label of photosynthophile, which could possibly be a human affliction in Bizarro World, especially if it causes one to be a Victim of those who cause the climate to change into an early summer vacation.

What do you say?

:|
Gracias for sharing your fascinating views on dogs. It was a pleasure to read. Didn't know so much could be said about our 4-legged friends.

Anyway, there are quite a number of expressions that revolve around our K9 pals. Some, frankly speaking, I don't get.

"It's off."

"What do you mean it's off? It's not. We used that bubble thingy."

"I'm telling you it's off."

"No it's not! I'll show you. See?! It's perfectly ... perfectly ... not off. That's what matters. It's not off!"

"Ok then, what's this?"

"What's what?!"

"Can't you see?"

"You nuts?! There's nothing to see!!"

"It's off!!"
duszek

Post by duszek »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:10 am
I see a couple of ways to deal with this issue - a couple of ways at a high level of abstraction, that is.
Avoid people.
Learn from interacting with people and get better at noticing and dealing manipulation - and then avoiding certain people as one of the measures taken.
Yes, sure.
But there are social occasions where you are forced to be polite. You can cut a person, but will you always get away with it ? I am not sure.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Aloneness is indivisible and loneliness is separation. That which is alone is pliable and so enduring. Only the alone can commune with that which is causeless, the immeasurable. To the alone, life is eternal; to the alone, there is no death. The alone can never cease to be.
J. Krishnamurti

Giving attention to the attention.

‘Instead of giving attention to the known object — thoughts, feelings, sensations and perceptions, give your attention to the knowing of your experience. Neither the knower, nor the known — just the knowing of your experience. Feel only in terms of verbs. Instead of thinking ‘I know such and such’, feel ‘There is only knowing and I am that’. Instead of thinking ‘I love you’, feel ‘There is only loving and I am that’. Instead of thinking ‘I see the tree’, feel ‘There is only seeing and I am that’...............
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker

Post by Walker »

Steve Miller composed The Joker because of the words that rhyme with joker.

What is the Song of the Loner when about the only word that rhymes with loner, is boner?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5N7qNid79s

(first appearance of “pompatus” in a pop song)
(all those p's sound like Sylvester Cat)

Loner …
Boner, cloner, donor, groaner, moaner, stoner, toner, zoner.

Does Homer or roamer rhyme with loaner?
Walker

Post by Walker »

This begins what no one says better …

Song of Myself
Walt Whitman
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/ ... 92-version

I celebrate myself, and sing myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.

I loafe and invite my soul,
I lean and loafe at my ease observing a spear of summer grass.

My tongue, every atom of my blood, form’d from this soil, this air,
Born here of parents born here from parents the same, and their parents the same,
I, now thirty-seven years old in perfect health begin,
Hoping to cease not till death.

Creeds and schools in abeyance,
Retiring back a while sufficed at what they are, but never forgotten,
I harbor for good or bad, I permit to speak at every hazard,
Nature without check with original energy.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Every thing is alone.

Because things know nothing.

Alone simply means one, and one cannot know of it's presence or absence. Knowledge only becomes apparent through the use of language made of words, which is made of sound, which can only point to this illusory sound and light show that is consciousness for no one all alone.