Confirmation bias.

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Flannel Jesus

Re: Confirmation bias.

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Agent Smith wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:58 am
Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:37 am
Agent Smith wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:20 am That's correct I suppose, but I feel it isn't as bad as some say it is.
The entire field of medical science was only capable of making meaningful advancements towards finding consistently effective treatments after they figured out techniques to fight against confirmation bias. I think it's a pretty big deal.
I'm not aware of any instances of confirmation bias in medical research although I can see how that may happen. What I mean to say is real steaks are so much better than imagined steaks.
Right, you're not aware of any because they figured out techniques to fight against it. You're not aware of it because those techniques work.

Techniques like double blind studies, for example.

Prior to these techniques, doctors would do stuff like cook up a batch of albino bone broth to cure your flu, and if you got better they'd put it in the old memory bank as a win for albino broth, and if you died they'd say "ah he was way too old or unhealthy already, nothing could have saved him". There was no statistics, there was no comparison against placebo, there was no blind or double blind studies, just a single doctor choosing how to interpret his own observations, and often choosing them in a way that we would now call "confirmation bias".
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:05 am
Agent Smith wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:58 am
Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:37 am
The entire field of medical science was only capable of making meaningful advancements towards finding consistently effective treatments after they figured out techniques to fight against confirmation bias. I think it's a pretty big deal.
I'm not aware of any instances of confirmation bias in medical research although I can see how that may happen. What I mean to say is real steaks are so much better than imagined steaks.
Right, you're not aware of any because they figured out techniques to fight against it. You're not aware of it because those techniques work.

Techniques like double blind studies, for example.

Prior to these techniques, doctors would do stuff like cook up a batch of albino bone broth to cure your flu, and if you got better they'd put it in the old memory bank as a win for albino broth, and if you died they'd say "ah he was way too old or unhealthy already, nothing could have saved him". There was no statistics, there was no comparison against placebo, there was no blind or double blind studies, just a single doctor choosing how to interpret his own observations, and often choosing them in a way that we would now call "confirmation bias".
Muchas gracias for the info. I completely forgot about placebos. Anyway, enough about confirmation biases - everyone seems so certain of what it is and how it can mess things up when it comes to philosophizing. I'll tag along for the ride.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

It takes a fantastic amount of confidence to say "enough about confirmation biases" in a thread titled "confirmation bias". :lol:
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:18 am It takes a fantastic amount of confidence to say "enough about confirmation biases" in a thread titled "confirmation bias". :lol:
:mrgreen: I learnt it from :mrgreen:
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

mickthinks wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:33 pm Having skimmed portions of your discussion with Iwp, seems like neither of you have much understanding of the underlying causes of CB or even what CB actually is and is not. Wouldn't it make sense to first gain a solid understanding of CB before trying to apply it to yourself? With that in mind, what's on your list of characteristics that make one most prone to CB?

lol
Excellent vague negative judgment! And not a stray bit of substance to improve things. Clever.

Post by Age »

Agent Smith wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:20 am
Age wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:43 am
Agent Smith wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:17 am Good job OP. All of us need this kinda reminder every now and then to ensure our thinking stays sharp. Nevertheless, I can't shake off the feeling that we've barely scratched the surface of confirmation bias.
But this is as SIMPLE as while you are HOLDING a BELIEF or an ASSUMPTION that some 'thing' is true, then you will look for, even unconsciously, and "find" 'things' that confirm the BELIEF or ASSUMPTION.

This is just part of the process of the 'belief-system' and how it works.
That's correct I suppose, but I feel it isn't as bad as some say it is.
It is only 'bad' in the sense that while one is like that they are NOT OPEN to learning what the ACTUAL Truth IS, EXACTLY.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Age wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:21 am
Age wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:43 am

But this is as SIMPLE as while you are HOLDING a BELIEF or an ASSUMPTION that some 'thing' is true, then you will look for, even unconsciously, and "find" 'things' that confirm the BELIEF or ASSUMPTION.

This is just part of the process of the 'belief-system' and how it works.
It is only 'bad' in the sense that while one is like that they are NOT OPEN to learning what the ACTUAL Truth IS, EXACTLY.
We're making progress! Truth is elusive?

Post by Age »

Agent Smith wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:33 pm

Are you asking or telling?

And, elusive to who, EXACTLY?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Age wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:53 pm

I'm asking. Isn't truth (known to be) elusive?

Post by Age »

Agent Smith wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:40 am

Wow that is MUCH DIFFERENT FROM the three words that you actually wrote in that statement, with a question mark at the end.

Now, to some people, as far as I am aware, truth is known to be elusive, to them.

But, OBVIOUSLY, truth is NOT necessarily elusive, AT ALL.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Age wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:01 am

Wow that is MUCH DIFFERENT FROM the three words that you actually wrote in that statement, with a question mark at the end.

Now, to some people, as far as I am aware, truth is known to be elusive, to them.

Interesting. Descartes, what did he claim?

Post by Age »

Agent Smith wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:56 am

Whatever "descartes" wanted to.

Does what "descartes" claim make 'it' the truth?

When, and IF, this subject is delved into further, then, and only then, does the actual Truth come to light.

But, then again, and CONTRADICTORY, some people BELIEVE that this is NOT even a POSSIBILITY.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Age wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:12 am

When, and IF, this subject is delved into further, then, and only then, does the actual Truth come to light.

But, then again, and CONTRADICTORY, some people BELIEVE that this is NOT even a POSSIBILITY.
I see. Descartes was a very brilliant mind insofar as humans can be ... brilliant. Man does not judge the crocodillian does not judge the rose.

Post by Age »

Agent Smith wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:01 am

I see. Descartes was a very brilliant mind insofar as humans can be ... brilliant. Man does not judge the crocodillian does not judge the rose.
What is a mind?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Age wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:34 pm
Agent Smith wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:01 am

What is a mind?
Good question but has been done to death.