Snowflake analogy

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Snowflake analogy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

The chance of any particular snowflake existing is...infinity to one...

The odds of odds being useful in an argument are 7.486 trillion to one...
Iwannaplato

Re: Snowflake analogy

Post by Iwannaplato »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:59 pm The chance of any particular snowflake existing is...infinity to one...

As rhetoric and PR on the other hand....
It's a clever insult/metaphor. Which doesn't entail that it is fair or accurate.
I found the slang word's history interesting, especially how it was used against pro-slavery people. Though my sense is that it has appeared separately more than once....
The contemporary insult snowflake was popularized by the 1996 novel and 1999 film adaptation Fight Club, which tells the story’s wannabe fighters: “You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.”

Fight Club’s snowflake, though, isn’t its earliest instance as an insult. During the Civil War in Missouri, pro-slavery advocates were called snowflakes for valuing white people over black people. (That’s a diss we can get behind.) Over a century later in the 1970s, black people who were seen as acting too white were mocked as snowflakes. The idea, here, is whiteness—like snow. Fight Club, nevertheless, did help to spread snowflake as a contemporary insult online in the 2000s to tease sheltered, helicopter-parented, everyone-gets-a-trophy young adults. The core metaphor is that such people are delicate like snowflakes, easily hurt by the hard realities of life, and think of themselves as special without realizing they are entitled and privileged— because every snowflake is different, as they say.
The term snowflake generation, or generation snowflake, emerged after a prominent 2015 dispute between the Yale University administration and students, who were upset by culturally appropriative Halloween costumes. Snowflake generation insulted the students as too politically correct, too easily offended, too soft in their demands for safe spaces, trigger warnings, preferred pronouns, and social justice. In 2016, snowflake became much more politicized and more malicious. After the polarizing decision of Brexit and the election of Donald Trump, the alt-right especially adopted snowflake to insult the political left who were upset by the events and concerned about rising nationalism and bigotry. Liberals, though, have thrown snowflake right back at them, with comedians like Neal Brennan and political commentator Van Jones calling Donald Trump a snowflake for his thin skin.
Notice that lefties/liberals are appropriating ( :D ) the term from the right and aiming it at right wing figures, which is paralleled here by Flashdangerpants aiming it at Henry......
FlashDangerpants wrote: ↑Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:02 pm
Lol, who remembers when Henry threw that pissy little snowflake tantrum and threatened to leave and make his own forum?
I'm sure this was quite conscious. Let's use the reasoning the right uses to categorize things the way it does with 'snowflake' and aim it at one of them.
vegetariantaxidermy

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:29 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:59 pm The chance of any particular snowflake existing is...infinity to one...

As rhetoric and PR on the other hand....
It's a clever insult/metaphor. Which doesn't entail that it is fair or accurate.
I found the slang word's history interesting, especially how it was used against pro-slavery people. Though my sense is that it has appeared separately more than once....
The contemporary insult snowflake was popularized by the 1996 novel and 1999 film adaptation Fight Club, which tells the story’s wannabe fighters: “You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.”

Fight Club’s snowflake, though, isn’t its earliest instance as an insult. During the Civil War in Missouri, pro-slavery advocates were called snowflakes for valuing white people over black people. (That’s a diss we can get behind.) Over a century later in the 1970s, black people who were seen as acting too white were mocked as snowflakes. The idea, here, is whiteness—like snow. Fight Club, nevertheless, did help to spread snowflake as a contemporary insult online in the 2000s to tease sheltered, helicopter-parented, everyone-gets-a-trophy young adults. The core metaphor is that such people are delicate like snowflakes, easily hurt by the hard realities of life, and think of themselves as special without realizing they are entitled and privileged— because every snowflake is different, as they say.
The term snowflake generation, or generation snowflake, emerged after a prominent 2015 dispute between the Yale University administration and students, who were upset by culturally appropriative Halloween costumes. Snowflake generation insulted the students as too politically correct, too easily offended, too soft in their demands for safe spaces, trigger warnings, preferred pronouns, and social justice. In 2016, snowflake became much more politicized and more malicious. After the polarizing decision of Brexit and the election of Donald Trump, the alt-right especially adopted snowflake to insult the political left who were upset by the events and concerned about rising nationalism and bigotry. Liberals, though, have thrown snowflake right back at them, with comedians like Neal Brennan and political commentator Van Jones calling Donald Trump a snowflake for his thin skin.
Notice that lefties/liberals are appropriating ( :D ) the term from the right and aiming it at right wing figures, which is paralleled here by Flashdangerpants aiming it at Henry......
FlashDangerpants wrote: ↑Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:02 pm
Lol, who remembers when Henry threw that pissy little snowflake tantrum and threatened to leave and make his own forum?
I'm sure this was quite conscious. Let's use the reasoning the right uses to categorize things the way it does with 'snowflake' and aim it at one of them.
None of that has anything to do with what I said. I was referring to actual snowflakes.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:06 am None of that has anything to do with what I said. I was referring to actual snowflakes.
My apologies, then.
I read...
and clearly hallucinated a context that was not the context.
vegetariantaxidermy

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:14 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:06 am None of that has anything to do with what I said. I was referring to actual snowflakes.
My apologies, then.
I read...
and clearly hallucinated a context that was not the context.
Speaking of Henry, he hasn't been around here for a while. He's one of those people whose absence you notice.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:58 pm Speaking of Henry, he hasn't been around here for a while. He's one of those people whose absence you notice.
Henry’s crap detector is sufficiently tuned so there is no need to keep testing it against strange delusions.

Snowflakes are like * a species of water. Each snowflake is different from the other, but the differences don't amount to a new species of snowflake, or a hill of beans. They just amount to a different form of snowflake. A snowflake can die and become a new species of water. It may become the liquid or steam species, or like people can turn gassy.

Snowflakes die and people die. People are like snowflakes although some snowflakes are longer-lived than others, such as those at the poles. Snowflakes become a new form of water, and people become a new form of life. Whatever that form is, awareness confirms its own existence based on knowledge of its form.

* "are like," indicates a simile
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:44 pm A snowflake can die
Yes, and a snowflake dies every time we tell a lie.

Actually, that's not true, but it doesn't mean I just killed a snowflafe. Or does it? :?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

In fact, the Guinness World Record holder for the largest snowflake was a whopping 15 inches wide. It was measured in January 1887 in Montana. That's bigger than a frisbee!
Proper etiquette when seeing snowflakes....
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Walker wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:44 pmHenry’s crap detector is sufficiently tuned so there is no need to keep testing it against strange delusions.
Yep.

👍