Boony's Room - a contemplation of Free Will & Determinism

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Boony's Room - a contemplation of Free Will & Determinism

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:38 am I already did my matey
How does:- "moral responsibility" ?? Give free will, in a determined universe any more credence over me choosing to have a hotdog over a salad!

It's a bloody ridiculous notion IF that is all it is based upon.

U gotta drill down to what is going on at the conscious level (as to whether I eat chips or kill someone)
Last edited by attofishpi on Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:40 am How does:- "moral responsibility" ?? Give free will, in a determined universe any more credence over me choosing to have a hotdog over a salad!
I don't think I understand the question.

Is sculptor a compatibilist anyway?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:42 am I don't think I understand the question.
I think he is :wink:

I don't like you removing parts of my quote that are pertinent to the conversation.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

I quoted the question I was answering (or not understatement). Everything else was just commentary by you.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Did you read my post at the top of page 3?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:45 am Did you read my post at the top of page 3?
Yes Jesus I did. I didn't address it because then and now, I don't believe it gets to the core of free will in any metaphysical way. Considering ethics as some answer within a conscious mind that minds therefore have a degree of free will within a determined universe is no different to me as to a conscious mind making a decision to eat chips instead of a burger.

The entire premise, of free will (if ethics alone is what compatibilism is based on) is ridiculous.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

The premise of free will is ridiculous, both with and without determinism?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

There you go again, is it so hard to quote what I am ACTUALLY stating?
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

I could quote it, but... Why would I? You've just said it. Why would I quote the post you've just made? If you want to see what I'm replying to, just scroll up a little bit.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

But I think, regardless of morality, non compatibilist definitions of free will are generally pretty bad. They suggest that we gain something of value when we allow randomness in. I've never heard an actually good case for that.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

...wtf, because through our little chat, it's interesting to see on what points each of us were ACTUALLY addressing - its a no brainer dude, ffs.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

..this is ridiculous

Explain in your words why compatibilism, which you state you are a proponent of (which is soley based on ethical behaviour) is logically compatibile within a deterministic universe. (such that free will exists)
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Top of page 3. Free will is more or less a synonym for control. Randomness doesn't grant control. Free will is the freedom of our will to control our actions. Our will has that freedom in a deterministic universe (sometimes at least). Therefore, free will as the concept of the will having control is compatible with determinism.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

I had some confusion previously in some replies I made, about the definition of "hard determinism". I said hard determinism is, according to a compatibilist, compatible with free will - I thought hard determinism meant something other than what it apparently actually means.

Any comment I made previously about "hard determinism", please disregard. My mistake.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:26 am I had some confusion previously in some replies I made, about the definition of "hard determinism". I said hard determinism is, according to a compatibilist, compatible with free will - I thought hard determinism meant something other than what it apparently actually means.

Any comment I made previously about "hard determinism", please disregard. My mistake.
Well said, it's not very often that someone has the bollocks on this forum to admit when they were even slightly wrong about anything.

Like myself. I state, I am learning philosophy from this site, still haven't got around to read the works of the big names in the realm of philosophy. But I like reference to some of their ideas.

I will sit on your statement for now that compatibilism is based on the ethics within the mindset of a conscious mind within a determined universe, and that's how a compatibilist only has an argument for their free-will.

Thus, after that, perhaps I am not declaring myself as a compatibilist if it is soley based on ethics within conscious minds as its premise for free-will (i think it's a rather short of form argument)

Yes, Sculptor is a self declared compatibilist btw.

..perhaps she has something to add re her views on compatibilism.