For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: Boony's Room - a contemplation of Free Will & Determinism

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:32 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:12 pm
attofishpi wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:32 pm

Well, for the contemplation of the situation, I'd agree that at the outset their instances would be identical, but as discussed in the other thread, they would diverge in their actions, imo rather early on in the experiment.
NO they would not diverge. There would be no reason to.
I thought you were a compatibilist. Are you not here declaring that the two Boony's conscious minds are somehow locked into perfect synchronisation for so long as they survive, to me this could only account for hard determinism as an accurate account of individual conscious minds.
Yes I am a compatibilist.
The free will is determined.
Now tell me how they could converge please???
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Therefore, free will as the concept of the will having control is compatible with determinism."

yeah i saw u say somthing about thinking determinism wuz somthing else. there's a common confusion btw becuz the theory of freewill is a theory of agent causation; the freewill is therefore the determiner, hence it's a determinism, etc. then at the same time, hard determinism theories that aren't substance dualist deny agent causation. so the actual opposite of the theory of determinism isn't necessarily and always the theory of freewill but the theory of indeterminism.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:09 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:12 pm

NO they would not diverge. There would be no reason to.
I thought you were a compatibilist. Are you not here declaring that the two Boony's conscious minds are somehow locked into perfect synchronisation for so long as they survive, to me this could only account for hard determinism as an accurate account of individual conscious minds.
Is your idea of compatibilism:- That conscious minds only have free will where things of an ethical nature are concerned within a determined universe?

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:09 pmThe free will is determined.
Determined by a conscious mind where ethics are concerned or more, does the human mind have free will on many other levels?

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:09 pmNow tell me how they could converge please???
I am talking RE 'diverge' - that both the Boony's - and rather early on in this experiment would be NON mirrored.

Are the two Boony's identical, what is different about the two Boonys?

One could write a list (I gotta go to nod nod land)
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:32 am I thought you were a compatibilist. Are you not here declaring that the two Boony's conscious minds are somehow locked into perfect synchronisation for so long as they survive, to me this could only account for hard determinism as an accurate account of individual conscious minds.
I actually think you're using the term "hard determinism" in the same way I was mistakenly using it.

Hard determinism, as a term, is an explicit denial of free will.

I laid out determinism as a spectrum before, a spectrum of constrained futures. 100% determinism, on that spectrum, means the future is constrained to exactly 1 possible future.

I believe you're using the word "hard determinism" to be synonymous with 100% on that scale, but that's not the case. Hard determinists DO believe that reality is at the 100% point, yes, but they believe something extra, they believe "and because of this fact, there can be no free will."

But thats not the only approach for someone who thinks we're 100% on that spectrum. Compatibilists may also think we're 100% on that spectrum, and agree that that means 1 possible future, but disagree that that means there's no free will.

Hard determinism is, by definition, contrary to free will, but 100% determinism is not necessarily
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-hard- ... sm-2670648

This is a good article that makes a distinction between hard determinism and soft determinism.

Both positions hold that there is only 1 possible future - believing that doesn't make one a hard determinist. It only makes you a hard determinist if you go from there to thinking "thus there's no free will"
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:45 pm

Is your idea of compatibilism:- That conscious minds only have free will where things of an ethical nature are concerned within a determined universe?
No it means that the expression of the will is determined by what and who you are. Being "free" is simply not being compelled by outside forces.
We make the future as deterministic agents.

Determined by a conscious mind where ethics are concerned or more, does the human mind have free will on many other levels?

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:09 pmNow tell me how they could DIverge please???
I am talking RE 'diverge' - that both the Boony's - and rather early on in this experiment would be NON mirrored.

The two booney's are each determined by the fact that they are both identical boonies.
I cannot see who they could possibly DIVERGE, since they both think of the same solutions at the same time.
Can you say how you think they might change their actions so that they go different ways?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:53 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:32 am I thought you were a compatibilist. Are you not here declaring that the two Boony's conscious minds are somehow locked into perfect synchronisation for so long as they survive, to me this could only account for hard determinism as an accurate account of individual conscious minds.
I actually think you're using the term "hard determinism" in the same way I was mistakenly using it.

Hard determinism, as a term, is an explicit denial of free will.

I laid out determinism as a spectrum before, a spectrum of constrained futures. 100% determinism, on that spectrum, means the future is constrained to exactly 1 possible future.

I believe you're using the word "hard determinism" to be synonymous with 100% on that scale, but that's not the case. Hard determinists DO believe that reality is at the 100% point, yes, but they believe something extra, they believe "and because of this fact, there can be no free will."

But thats not the only approach for someone who thinks we're 100% on that spectrum. Compatibilists may also think we're 100% on that spectrum, and agree that that means 1 possible future, but disagree that that means there's no free will.

Hard determinism is, by definition, contrary to free will, but 100% determinism is not necessarily
Yes, I knew from the outset what 'hard determinism' is, that free will is an illusion. That if you were born again into the precise same circumstances, you'd travel through life making the exact same choices.
Indeed, it would suggest that if all the Big Bang conditions existed again (precisely) that here we would all be, in a year called 2023, talking shit to each other on an internet forum!

However, either you are wrong about compatibilism or I am. My understanding is that within a determined universe, that our conscious mind determines its own will (not always) but that free will is not an illusion. That if all the Big Bang conditions existed again (precisely), that this conversation is highly unlikely to ever occur...(again).
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:15 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:45 pm

No it means that the expression of the will is determined by what and who you are. Being "free" is simply not being compelled by outside forces.
We make the future as deterministic agents.

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:09 pmNow tell me how they could DIverge please???

The two booney's are each determined by the fact that they are both identical boonies.
I cannot see who they could possibly DIVERGE, since they both think of the same solutions at the same time.
Can you say how you think they might change their actions so that they go different ways?
Yes. We need to consider that although each conscious mind were instantiated identically within an identically mirrored situation, that they still have individual, seperate minds.
If they get to the stage of pausing, talking, pausing - realising something of a diabolical situation, they might decide to think of a random thought.

Each mind is still individual, within a brain that has more logical gateways than atoms in the entire universe (apparently) - AND consciousncess is operating at the quantum level where indeterminacy is at play.

So eventually - they will break off into their own individual will of thought.

If they didn't then hard determinism would be accurate, that individual conscious minds have no free will.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:37 am Yes, I knew from the outset what 'hard determinism' is, that free will is an illusion. That if you were born again into the precise same circumstances, you'd travel through life making the exact same choices.
Indeed, it would suggest that if all the Big Bang conditions existed again (precisely) that here we would all be, in a year called 2023, talking shit to each other on an internet forum!

However, either you are wrong about compatibilism or I am. My understanding is that within a determined universe, that our conscious mind determines its own will (not always) but that free will is not an illusion. That if all the Big Bang conditions existed again (precisely), that this conversation is highly unlikely to ever occur...(again).
Determines its own will?

Out of everything I've read about compatibilism, I haven't heard that idea suggested once, and for one good reason:

The idea doesn't work.

In order for a mind to determine its own will, it has to make a choice about that. To make a choice is to have a will. So did the mind determine its own will also before it made the choice to determine its own will?

You end up in an infinite regress. In order to be the ultimate source of your own will, your will would have to choose what it wills infinitely into the past. Otherwise, you would have to admit that at some point, your will was an unchosen facet of your mind, given to you and shaped by forces outside your control.

Now, as a common philosophical position, compatibilism has been written about extensively. So if you say either I'm right, or you are... Well, hopefully we can settle that with some light reading.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/compatibilism/
Compatibilism offers a solution to the free will problem, which concerns a disputed incompatibility between free will and determinism. Compatibilism is the thesis that free will is compatible with determinism. Because free will is typically taken to be a necessary condition of moral responsibility, compatibilism is sometimes expressed as a thesis about the compatibility between moral responsibility and determinism.
That's quite similar to my argument made prior, where I discuss free will as a relationship between control and moral responsibility.

Later on in the article:
For the classical compatibilist, then, free will is an ability to do what one wants. It is therefore plausible to conclude that the truth of determinism does not entail that agents lack free will since it does not entail that agents never do what they wish to do, nor that agents are necessarily encumbered in acting. Compatibilism is thus vindicated.
Here's another one: https://www.informationphilosopher.com/ ... ilism.html
Compatibilists (or "soft determinists" as they have been known since William James) identify free will with freedom of action - the lack of external constraints. We are free, and we have free will, if we are not in physical chains. But freedom of the will is different from freedom of action.

Many compatibilists accept the view of a causal chain of events going back indefinitely in time, consistent with the laws of nature, with the plan of an omniscient God, or with other determinisms. As long as our own will is included in that causal chain, we are free, they say. And they think causality in nature is related to the very possibility of reason and logic.
You apparently think compatibilism is about creating some sort of exception to the laws of physics for the mind to work. But that's not compatibilism at all, that's simply libertarian free will. If someone needs determinism to not be true in the universe, anywhere in the universe, even if only in the brain, for free will to be true, they are not a compatibilist. For one clear and unambiguous reason: they're of the opinion that pure determinism is not compatible with free will. If they're of that opinion, they cannot be a compatibilist.

A compatibilist does not need to create arbitrary exceptions for determinism in order to accept free will. They can accept free will and pure determinism at the same time.

If you want to maintain that the compatibilist position means creating some sort of exception for determinism, I would be curious if you can find anything published on the internet elsewhere that explicitly says as much. Compatibilism is actually, among academic philosophers, the most common take on free will believe it or not, so it's been written about quite a lot. If you're correct, I believe it shouldn't be exceptionally difficult to find some sources.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:35 am A compatibilist does not need to create arbitrary exceptions for determinism in order to accept free will. They can accept free will and pure determinism at the same time.
How? How do you accept that you as a conscious mind have free will, with whatever your "pure" determinism is concerned?

I think you don't understand either position. You want hard determinism, but still insist that you are a compatibilist.

Between the will of a mind and the determined universe that it exists within, it's still one or the other - is the will of the mind determined by the causation of experience of the determined universe, or can the mind make decisions contrary..indeed where does the mind sit within a material brain, as far as you are concerned?

Flannel Jesus wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:35 am "You apparently think compatibilism is about creating some sort of exception to the laws of physics for the mind to work."
It pisses me off when people attempt to conclude things from what I am stating, especially where clearly I would be a dumb arse to have 'apparently thought' such a thing.

But still, what are the laws of physics that I am suggesting exception to regarding how the human conscious mind 'works'?

Explain to me where your conscious mind has free will?

ps. don't keep posting external stuff - put stuff in YOUR words.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

You are still misusing the term "hard determinism". "Hard determinism" is the explicit belief that free will does not exist. Compatibilists are not hard determinists, by definition. Hard determinists and compatibilists are 2 different types of determinists, because they believe different things about the relationship of determinism to the concept of free will.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:09 am
ps. don't keep posting external stuff - put stuff in YOUR words.
I don't think I'm doing so irrelevantly. You're disagreeing with me about the meaning of a common philosophical position. That disagreement can be settled by reading what other people mean by it. I don't think you should ignore that.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:13 am You are still misusing the term "hard determinism". "Hard determinism" is the explicit belief that free will does not exist. Compatibilists are not hard determinists, by definition. Hard determinists and compatibilists are 2 different types of determinists, because they believe different things about the relationship of determinism to the concept of free will.
WHERE on this forum are you getting the idea that I think HARD DETERMINISM = COMPATIBILISM?
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:09 am It pisses me off when people attempt to conclude things from what I am stating, especially where clearly I would be a dumb arse to have 'apparently thought' such a thing.

But still, what are the laws of physics that I am suggesting exception to regarding how the human conscious mind 'works'?
Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by this:
My understanding is that within a determined universe, that our conscious mind determines its own will (not always) but that free will is not an illusion. That if all the Big Bang conditions existed again (precisely), that this conversation is highly unlikely to ever occur...(again).
It sounds like you're talking about a view of the universe that is deterministic, apart from inside conscious minds. If you weren't making that exception, then you wouldn't say that this conversation is unlikely to occur again, because if there are no exceptions in pure determinism, this conversation would be guaranteed to occur again.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:20 am
Flannel Jesus wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:13 am You are still misusing the term "hard determinism". "Hard determinism" is the explicit belief that free will does not exist. Compatibilists are not hard determinists, by definition. Hard determinists and compatibilists are 2 different types of determinists, because they believe different things about the relationship of determinism to the concept of free will.
WHERE on this forum are you getting the idea that I think HARD DETERMINISM = COMPATIBILISM?
I'm not. Hard determinism literally isn't part of this conversation at all. You shouldn't use it at all.