Reith Lectures: Freedom from Want

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RWStanding

Post by RWStanding »

Taken at its face value, without adornment, or qualification. Freedom from Want is a totally mean aspiration.
For a whole country or society, it is a minimalist value of survivalism. If society has nothing then it cannot survive.
Within a society Freedom from Want eminently suits a tyranny. Serfs or slaves may be given the bare essentials and expected to work unremittingly.
Freedom, as ever, is not by itself positive. The question should be the positive one of how resources are to be shared. Tyranny is not essentially concerned with sharing anything, it is a class or caste society.
Where there is a sense of freedom and equality, on the one hand autonomous individuals [and societies] will divide resources purely for personal benefit and not the whole.
On the other hand responsible altruism will share resources for the benefit of society holistically, and for all individually: people having their ambitions and lives fulfilled, for the benefit of all.
We may have a National Health Service. It can be designed to favour the powerful and rich.
It can be a service for autonomous families, paying according to demand.
Or for the whole of society provided according to need, within available resources.
It is irrelevant whether the service is paid for by taxes, or by some monthly scheme, the living income of every person would be an amount over and above such payments.
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Reith Lectures: Freedom from Want

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

It is not that we strive for absolute freedom from wants but rather whatever is 'wanted' must be modulated as Aristotle recommended for anger;

ANYBODY can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry
with the right person, and
to the right degree, and
at the right time, and
for the right purpose, and
in the right way,
that is not within everybody's power, that is not easy.”

Re Buddhist Philosophy,
Uncontrollable wants, desires are the roots of mental sufferings.

Thus the solution is modulating wants and desires optimally;
Buddhism's 4NT-8FP is a Life Problem Solving Technique.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25193
Toppsy Kretts

Post by Toppsy Kretts »

I would have to suggest....that what Loki had planned for the the world of earth in the first Avengers didnt seem that too preposterous.
I feel as if it did have some form or degree of a true standpoint meaning in the view that given to much in life might corrupt you more than having nothing atall. letting you think that you are able to have everything you dream of with just as simple to reach out and take it is something that we tell our children before they learn the hardships of life and with true urning comes passion to succeed.

This concluded i present that order is necessary to have a persistent way of life, i now, cannot determined that order but therefore suggest the idea that some-sort of order must be established to conduct a proper flow of living.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:11 am Re Buddhist Philosophy,
Uncontrollable wants, desires are the roots of mental sufferings.

Thus the solution is modulating wants and desires optimally;
Buddhism's 4NT-8FP is a Life Problem Solving Technique.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25193
I mean this seriously, not as simply an attempt to trap.
Wouldn't this include your trying to get people to believe in moral facts also?
To the point where you insult people and obviously get upset at those who disagree with you?
(and yes, I know you also get insulted)