The meaning of life

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: The meaning of life

Post by Harbal »

Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:54 pm so you belive the meaning of life is...nothing. /?
I believe there is no objective purpose behind our existence.
Toppsy Kretts

Post by Toppsy Kretts »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:03 pm
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:54 pm so you belive the meaning of life is...nothing. /?
so then,,,,what do you suggest we do in this life. since by your beliefs there is no afterlife.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:19 pm so then,,,,what do you suggest we do in this life. since by your beliefs there is no afterlife.
I suggest we try to live it as happily as we are able.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:19 pm
so then,,,,what do you suggest we do in this life. since by your beliefs there is no afterlife.
What a ridiculous quesion. Do you really live your life on the basis that you will go on forever? That sort of defeats the purpose of the word 'life' doesn't it? If we 'live' forever then what is this thing we call 'life'? Apart from that, a lack of religious superstition doesn't exclude the possibility of 'some' kind of existence after we die. Who knows? It might be something that science discovers in the future. Perhaps some sort of 'connection' to the universe that most people are oblivious to for their entires 'lives'.
Toppsy Kretts

Post by Toppsy Kretts »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:03 pm
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:19 pm

What a ridiculous quesion. Do you really live your life on the basis that you will go on forever? That sort of defeats the purpose of the word 'life' doesn't it? If we 'live' forever then what is this thing we call 'life'? Apart from that, a lack of religious superstition doesn't exclude the possibility of 'some' kind of existence after we die. Who knows? It might be something that science discovers in the future. Perhaps some sort of 'connection' to the universe that most people are oblivious to for their entires 'lives'.
i live my life apon the basis of the Abrahamic God. not because i was raised on the knowledge of him, but apon the facts that historically there was a man names Jesus of Nazareth that walked this earth. evidence that proves some type of proclaimed either "prophet" or "so of God". No other religion has valuable evidence such as the "shroud of Jesus", or the spear which a roman soldier pierced his side that contains only 23 pairs of chronozones and only 1 Y chronozone from God which should be impossible since regular humans would have 46, and if he was truly human with 23 chromosomes then he would've been absolutely fucking retarded and retards were cast in the sea to drown cause of some false belief in demons and some other wrong accusations.
My veiw isnt the acknowledgement of some guy in the sky, its on the simple lack of understanding on what happeneds...after. we could all assume that its just nothing but what subjects that? Out of the numerous theory's that exist for the afterlife that my friend is the most unrealistic id have to believe in. The account of "ghost" if you are one to hold that standpoint.

i dont live my life going on forever in some grand place were the water flows with milk and honey because im a bible fanatic, simply because in the grand calculus of the universe...there may be no rhyme or reason for any of this, days like today are scattered amongst the rest, so to treat every day as if in the end when i stand before sometime of omniscient figure so called a "God", i would hope to have a life worth living to account for. whether it being praising some specific deity i never truly knew of-or saving as much lives in the military as possible. To amount to as much good and less harm as possible is my human will. To harm those who deserve punishment and justice on the account for the lives they took. To serve humanity as a whole until i feel as if i as a person has fulfilled my duties as a human to rest my life with a woman i so desire and children to raise and teach. Until i have earned my rest.

i believe in the afterlife of a God not for my sake, more for the feeling that every wicked soul i lay down i know that one day if i do see God then i know they saw him too, but there trajectory was more downward than upward. Knowing that im doing good is what drives me, and every harmful act i bring on a bully, a piece of shit who just wants to hurt somebody...whoever deserves it, i feel content on that the justice they earned today wont be the last.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

You have my condolences. Are there no religious nut forums on the internet?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:26 pm

i live my life apon the basis of the Abrahamic God. not because i was raised on the knowledge of him, but apon the facts that historically there was a man names Jesus of Nazareth that walked this earth. evidence that proves some type of proclaimed either "prophet" or "so of God". No other religion has valuable evidence such as the "shroud of Jesus", or the spear which a roman soldier pierced his side that contains only 23 pairs of chronozones and only 1 Y chronozone from God which should be impossible since regular humans would have 46, and if he was truly human with 23 chromosomes then he would've been absolutely fucking retarded and retards were cast in the sea to drown cause of some false belief in demons and some other wrong accusations.
My veiw isnt the acknowledgement of some guy in the sky, its on the simple lack of understanding on what happeneds...after. we could all assume that its just nothing but what subjects that? Out of the numerous theory's that exist for the afterlife that my friend is the most unrealistic id have to believe in. The account of "ghost" if you are one to hold that standpoint.

i dont live my life going on forever in some grand place were the water flows with milk and honey because im a bible fanatic, simply because in the grand calculus of the universe...there may be no rhyme or reason for any of this, days like today are scattered amongst the rest, so to treat every day as if in the end when i stand before sometime of omniscient figure so called a "God", i would hope to have a life worth living to account for. whether it being praising some specific deity i never truly knew of-or saving as much lives in the military as possible. To amount to as much good and less harm as possible is my human will. To harm those who deserve punishment and justice on the account for the lives they took. To serve humanity as a whole until i feel as if i as a person has fulfilled my duties as a human to rest my life with a woman i so desire and children to raise and teach. Until i have earned my rest.

i believe in the afterlife of a God not for my sake, more for the feeling that every wicked soul i lay down i know that one day if i do see God then i know they saw him too, but there trajectory was more downward than upward. Knowing that im doing good is what drives me, and every harmful act i bring on a bully, a piece of shit who just wants to hurt somebody...whoever deserves it, i feel content on that the justice they earned today wont be the last.
Did you write this all on your own, or did a child help? :|

Post by Age »

Trajk Logik wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:12 am
Age wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:40 pm
Trajk Logik wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:14 pm If you're not willing to elaborate and provide examples, then how am I suppose to accept it and agree with you?
But I have NEVER wanted you to accept 'it', (whatever 'it' is EXACTLY), NOR have I EVER wanted you to agree with me.

you are absolutely FREE to accept and agree with absolutely ANY thing of your CHOOSING. I CERTAINLY do NOT want to influence you in ANY way whatsoever.

I just answer and CLARIFY questions posed to me, from those who are INTERESTED. And, the MORE one is INTERESTED, then the MORE CLARIFYING questions they will pose, and ask to me, and then the MORE information I WILL provide. Thus, for those who are Truly INTERESTED, then they will come to KNOW thee ACTUAL and IRREFUTABLE Truth, AS WELL.
I know one actual and irrefutable truth, and it's that you don't know the actual irrefutable truth.
SO, here we have another SUPPOSED actual and irrefutable truth, which this one CLAIMS to KNOW.

Trajk Logik wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:12 am Just disagreeing without providing a reason isn't an argument against anything that I've said, and the reason shouldn't have to be pried out of you.
Absolutely NO one that I know of has IMPLIED, NOR SAID, absolutely ANY thing about disagreeing against ANY thing you said without providing a reason was an 'argument'. So, WHY would you mention such a thing here?
Trajk Logik wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:12 am It should be provided automatically as part of making a legitimate philosophical argument.
you KEEP using the 'it' word, regularly, and SHOULD I have to keep prying out of you what you are talking about and referring to?

I am STILL WAITING for you to CLARIFY what 'it' is, which you think or BELIEVE I want you to agree WITH, or do I HAVE TO pry 'it' out of you?

Do you HAVE TO provide reasons, clarifications, and/or explanations for what you SAY and CLAIM here? Or, is it ONLY 'I' who SHOULD and is MEANT TO?

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:49 am
Age wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:54 pm
WHEN did you EVER ask me 'to tell the forum what this one FUNDAMENTAL meaning and purpose is',EXACTLY? (Oh and by the way that is NOT 'asking' that IS 'telling'.)
I did ask you if you would 'tell' .. that doesn't mean I was telling you to tell, as I have no control over whether you tell or not.
you seem to NOT UNDERSTAND the CLARIFYING QUESTION that I posed to you here. I will ask it AGAIN;

WHEN did you EVER ask me 'to tell the forum what this one FUNDAMENTAL meaning and purpose is'?

I do NOT recall you EVER asking if you I would 'tell' the forum what this one FUNDAMENTAL meaning and purpose is. And, if you REALLY EVER did ask me I would 'tell' the forum what this one FUNDAMENTAL meaning and purpose is, THEN it would be EXTREMELY SIMPLE and EASY to POINT OUT and SHOW, EXACTLY, WHERE and WHEN that took place.

you ATTEMPT and DEFLECTION and DIVERSION here, INSTEAD of just PROVIDING PROOF, could be SEEN as in Fact you NEVER REALLY EVERY do such a thing as ask me if I would 'tell' the forum what this one FUNDAMENTAL meaning and purpose is.
Age wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:54 pmNow, what ACTUALLY TOOK PLACE was you posed, to me, a question, and asked, 'What makes you think that there could be just one fundamental meaning/purpose?
It wasn't me who said that, Age...it was Trajk Logik who said that.
So, WHERE is the question, which you CLAIM you posed and asked me here above?
Age wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:54 pmTo which I replied, Because I have found One that EVERY one could agree with, and accept.

Which, BOTH, answers and CLARIFIES the ACTUAL question you asked me. Honestly, I will add here, now.

If you would like me to provide a DIFFERENT answer or do some 'thing' DIFFERENTLY, then I suggest you ASK a question here now.
Will you put what you have found into words at this forum? that EVERY one could agree with, and accept?
I did above ALREADY WHEN, and DIRECTLY after WHERE, you asked me;

Now, WILL you put into words what EVERY one could agree with and accept?

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53 pm
Age wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:59 am
Hang on. Are you here 'trying to' suggest that the 'conditions' that 'you', human beings, are 'now' living under, in the days when this was being written, was somehow NOT the result of 'you', human beings?

HOW, EXACTLY, could the 'conditions' that 'you' 'now' find "yourselves" 'living under' NOT be what evolution designed 'you' for?

What is the 'thing' that CHANGED the 'conditions', which 'you' are/were, supposedly, NOT designed for?

To me, OBVIOUSLY, if 'you' have gone on to 'shape 'the' environment' (and NOT 'our' environment. Unless, of course, you want to CLAIM ownership or guardianship OVER 'the' environment. Which, if 'you' do, then 'you' NEED to START CHANGING, and STARTING NOW). Anyway, if 'you' have gone on to 'shape environment' the way that it is 'now', then that would be a result of the way 'evolution' CREATED 'you' to do so. Unless you have some OTHER reason WHY 'things' have panned out the way that they have here.

If 'you', human beings, have CREATED the environment the way that it is, then, to me, that is a DIRECT result of 'evolution', itself. (Oh, and by the way, the ACTUAL REASON of WHY 'things' have panned out the way they have, and are panning out the way they are, WILL become VERY CLEAR and OBVIOUS, as we move along and progress here.

So, you are Right in that the 'flaws' and 'faults' within the human being species is Wrong in ANY way in itself, but, to me, if 'they' are NOT talked about and discussed, then they do NOT come-to-light, and thus can NOT be 'addressed'. As it is ONLY when we admit that we have a 'problem', that we can THEN address it and FIX it.

By the way I KNOW of NO fault NOR flaw in ANY OTHER animal, besides the human animal. Are you AWARE of ANY?

If yes, then WILL you ENLIGHTEN me, or us, to those faults OR flaws?

If no, then WHY NOT?
Evolution is not a process with an end result in mind.
And you KNOW this HOW.

Also, has ANY one SAID otherwise?
Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53 pm Evolution doesn't have a mind.
And NEITHER do you human beings, but a LOT of 'you', adult human beings, KEEP TELLING and INFORMING me that 'you' do.
Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53 pm Natural selection gradually moulds a species to best thrive in its environment.
What do you mean by 'its environment'?

Are there as MANY 'environments' are there as there are 'its'?
Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53 pm Most environments are stable, and most species do not cause their environment to change.
Will you list some of these DIFFERENT 'environments' that you speak of here?
Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53 pm Human beings do change their environment,
What do you ACTUALLY MEAN by 'their environment'?
Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53 pm and while natural selection is what brought about our ability and tendency to do that, it didn't do it as part of a plan.
AGAIN, and you KNOW this HOW, EXACTLY?

Also, is this just what you BELIEVE is true, or what you KNOW, without ANY IRREFUTABLE DOUBT, is an ACTUAL IRREFUTABLE Truth?

Or, is there some 'thing' else 'at play' here?
Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53 pm Evolution made us adaptable, but it didn't make us able to function optimally in absolutely any conditions, and it didn't programme us with a fail safe that prevents us from creating a physical and social environment that forces us to behave in ways that clash and conflict with aspects of our nature that became set when we lived in a very different environment with a very different life style.
To me this sounds a lot like BLAME, 'self-justification', MINIMIZATION, or just plain OLD DENIAL. But, then again, you might be meaning and/or referring to some 'thing' ELSE here.
Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53 pm Maybe it is a fundamental principle of nature that every system eventually breaks down, or burns itself out.
OR, just KEEPS EVOLVING, KEEPS PROGRESSING, and just KEEPS GETTING BETTER.

We WILL just have to WAIT, to SEE.
Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53 pm Perhaps humanity is currently in the later stages of natural decay.
Or, PERHAPS 'humanity' is on the VERY CUSP of evolving or transitioning into the next stage, and just about to take the step up and onto the next rung of the ladder, or onto the next step of the stairway to 'Heaven', and move on into ANOTHER completely PROFOUND and/or REVEALING stage of evolution, as comparable or more so to as WHEN human beings evolved OUT OF the 'ape' stage, and UP, ONTO, and INTO the human being stage.

AGAIN, 'we' WILL just have to WAIT, and SEE, right?

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:25 pm
promethean75 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:13 pm "Perhaps humanity is currently in the later stages of natural decay."

why do i keep hearing this at philosophy forums? you're talking about a highly intelligent biped who's just invented space travel, AI, clean energy, gene therapy, all that shit, becoming extinct some time soon?
I didn't say we were heading towards extinction; I don't know what we are heading towards. Mabe the human race will be around indefinitely, but in an ever increasing state of misery.
WHY does 'decay' have to involve 'misery'?

WHY can only the bad parts of humanity NOT just 'decay', and humanity, itself, just keep evolving into being a continually MORE loving species, creating a MORE 'enjoyable' existence all of the time?

Post by Age »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:37 pm quantitatively i think global suffering resulting from poverty will decrease as eventually developers will move into third world countries and start building shit and creating jobs and all that.

i mean yeah in the deep schopenhauerean sense that it's all (the world) just the phenomenal representation of a blind, striving will that has no purpose, we're all ontologically miserable... but let's just try and focus on getting everyone a good job first and go from there.
LOL
LOL
LOL

It IS BECAUSE of the CREATION of 'jobs', BECAUSE of people's 'love of money'/GREED, WHY 'poverty', itself, existed AND WHY there was SO MUCH MISERY in that 'world', which you were existing in, back in the days when this was being written.

you adult human beings were, LITERALLY, STUCK in the BELIEF that jobs and money will create happiness and joy. LOL A great deal of 'misery' ACTUALLY DERIVED from the FEELING that one HAS TO 'work' in order to live and/or survive.

'you', adult human beings, back in the days when this is being written, REALLY DO have a LOT of 'thinking' BACKWARDS.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:47 pm
promethean75 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:37 pm quantitatively i think global suffering resulting from poverty will decrease as eventually developers will move into third world countries and start building shit and creating jobs and all that.

i mean yeah in the deep schopenhauerean sense that it's all (the world) just the phenomenal representation of a blind, striving will that has no purpose, we're all ontologically miserable... but let's just try and focus on getting everyone a good job first and go from there.
For many, it is their job that causes them the most misery. :|
EXACTLY.

AND, NOT just the 'job', itself, but the FEELING that one HAS TO 'work', which is what causes a LOT of 'misery'.

And THEN FEELING the NEGLECT of one's own children and/or family, because they HAVE TO 'work', then FEEDS ONTO MORE 'misery', which is then 'compensated' in ways, which are just Truly and PURELY Wrong in Life. Forming an 'abuse-cycle', and continuing on a, generational, 'cycle-of-abuse'.

Post by Age »

Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:31 pm
Harbal wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:00 pm Yes, our existence is pointless, but the absurdity of life makes it well worth living.

Harbalpotkin
i have to refuse that its all for nothing, that everything doesnt have an esssence of its own.
But WHY do you HAVE TO 'refuse'?

Do your BELIEFS STOP and/or PREVENT you from just being Truly OPEN?
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:31 pm but if that thought is still dominant maya i suggest a theroy of my own that if there is ANY meaning to life then wouldnt it be to the same reason for a video game? or a book maybe? that maybe the only REAL meaning to life would be something as small as to,,, leave something behind??
Well there is NOT 'one thing' that could 'go' and take ALL with 'it'.
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:31 pm To have something here after your gone?
There IS, ALWAYS, going to be some 'thing' HERE EVERY time after each one of you has 'gone'.
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:31 pm to have soemthing remembered by? whether that be a kid or patton for a problem solving invention. something at least. or maybe knowledge? soemthing to be recieved from the past life you just lived?
Of course i am entertaining the idea that life has some meaning and a higher power has set these meanings across
the rock we call earth.