The meaning of life

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

The meaning of life

Post by Harbal »

Yes, our existence is pointless, but the absurdity of life makes it well worth living.

Harbalpotkin

Re: The meaning of life

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:00 pm Yes, our existence is pointless, but the absurdity of life makes it well worth living.

Harbalpotkin

Who and/or what does the 'our' word here refer to, exactly?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:00 pm Yes, our existence is pointless, but the absurdity of life makes it well worth living.
It is quite a show! :lol:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:10 am Who and/or what does the 'our' word here refer to, exactly?
Absolutely anything that wants to include itself.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:44 am It is quite a show! :lol:
Yes, as long as you like comedies. :)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbalpotkin
I like your pointless optimism.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:45 am
Age wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:10 am Who and/or what does the 'our' word here refer to, exactly?
So, our existence is valuable as well as meaningful, and making perfect sense of just being alive and living was besides being a very simple and easy thing to do is also an absolutely very reasonable thing to do. Or, in other words, comprehending and understanding the purpose and meaning of 'Life', Itself, fully, was and is able to be reasoned.

Post by Age »

There is nothing pointless about being alive and living.

As to bear witness to the beauty that 'I' am creating, (or for 'you', human beings, to bear witness to the beauty that thee 'I' is creating Itself) is to lay claim to this proof that there is nothing pointless about being alive and living. Oh, unless of course one can only look at and see that there is no point and no meaning of 'Life', Itself.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:52 pm
So, our existence is valuable as well as meaningful, and making perfect sense of just being alive and living was besides being a very simple and easy thing to do is also an absolutely very reasonable thing to do. Or, in other words, comprehending and understanding the purpose and meaning of 'Life', Itself, fully, was and is able to be reasoned.
I am saying that there is no objective purpose behind, or to, our existence, or that of anything else, but that is no reason not to make the most of being alive.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:07 pm
Age wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:52 pm

I am saying that there is no objective purpose behind, or to, our existence, or that of anything else, but that is no reason not to make the most of being alive.
And I am saying that there is an objective purpose behind, or to, our existence. This gives more reason to make more out of living and being alive.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:13 pm And I am saying that there is an objective purpose behind, or to, our existence. This gives more reason to make more out of living and being alive.
Well I didn't know about the objective purpose, so if you will be good enough to say what it is, I will then be in a position to revise my opinion.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Yes, as long as it doesn't become absurdly difficult to keep on living as it seems more people are fated to contend with. But if absurdity is of no concern the future indeed looks bright since there's more on the way.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:19 pm
Age wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:13 pm And I am saying that there is an objective purpose behind, or to, our existence. This gives more reason to make more out of living and being alive.
Well I didn't know about the objective purpose, so if you will be good enough to say what it is, I will then be in a position to revise my opinion.
The objective purpose to our lives is to make 'life', itself, better. 'Life' just means, living; being alive, so the purpose of our lives is to just make living or being alive better.

There is obviously no purpose in making 'life' worse, nor in making 'life' better for just some only. So, the objective purpose behind, or to, our existence is to make 'life', itself, better for every one.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dubious wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:20 pm Yes, as long as it doesn't become absurdly difficult to keep on living as it seems more people are fated to contend with. But if absurdity is of no concern the future indeed looks bright since there's more on the way.
Yes, it was wrong of me to suggest that absurdity is something that everyone should embrace. It depends on their circumstances.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:26 pm
The objective purpose to our lives is to make 'life', itself, better. 'Life' just means, living; being alive, so the purpose of our lives is to just make living or being alive better.
Isn't that a subjective purpose? Just an opinion held among us (or some of us) adult human beings, rather than a universal truth.