The meaning of life

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: The meaning of life

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:02 pm
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:31 pm
Of course i am entertaining the idea that life has some meaning and a higher power has set these meanings across
the rock we call earth.
You might be right, but I don't entertain such ideas myself.
WHY?

Is it BECAUSE of your OWN ALREADY GAINED and HELD ONTO BELIEFS?

WHAT STOPS or PREVENTS you from being Truly OPEN?

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:40 pm
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:30 pm Which ideas do you entertain then?
I entertain the idea that there is no higher power, or at least not one with conscious intention, thereforre neither we nor anything else in the universe came into being with any predetermined purpose.
Did you, or did you NOT, say BEFORE or allude to that there was some kind of internal KNOWING?

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:03 pm
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:54 pm so you belive the meaning of life is...nothing. /?
I believe there is no objective purpose behind our existence.
So, you can go out with the purpose of making 'life' and living WORSE for "yourself" and/or "others", and there is absolutely NO 'thing' objecting to this purpose, right?

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:23 pm
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:19 pm so then,,,,what do you suggest we do in this life. since by your beliefs there is no afterlife.
I suggest we try to live it as happily as we are able.
Well since we are ABLE TO live PERFECTLY 'happily', then instead of just 'trying to' live this way how about we actually 'just do' live this way?

What is 'it' that is ACTUALLY STOPPING and/or PREVENTING ANY of 'you' from doing so?

Post by Age »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:03 pm
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:19 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:03 pm

I believe there is no objective purpose behind our existence.
so then,,,,what do you suggest we do in this life. since by your beliefs there is no afterlife.
What a ridiculous quesion. Do you really live your life on the basis that you will go on forever?
Well it would ALREADY be a much BETTER 'world' if 'you' DID.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:03 pm That sort of defeats the purpose of the word 'life' doesn't it?
NO. BUT if one thinks on a VERY SMALL or NARROWED perspective, then they would ONLY SEE 'life' from 'their' perspective or viewpoint ALONE.

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:03 pm If we 'live' forever then what is this thing we call 'life'?
Is the latter part of this question here more or less just what the topic title of this thread is saying/asking?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:03 pm Apart from that, a lack of religious superstition doesn't exclude the possibility of 'some' kind of existence after we die. Who knows?
Thee 'I' DOES.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:03 pm It might be something that science discovers in the future. Perhaps some sort of 'connection' to the universe that most people are oblivious to for their entires 'lives'.
The FUNNY, and SAD, part of this is MOST were NOT 'oblivious' BEFORE, but ARE in the days when this is being written, but VERY SOON will NOT be 'oblivious' AGAIN, and, in fact, will become and be FAR MORE ENLIGHTENED.

Post by Age »

Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:26 pm
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:19 pm

so then,,,,what do you suggest we do in this life. since by your beliefs there is no afterlife.
What a ridiculous quesion. Do you really live your life on the basis that you will go on forever? That sort of defeats the purpose of the word 'life' doesn't it? If we 'live' forever then what is this thing we call 'life'? Apart from that, a lack of religious superstition doesn't exclude the possibility of 'some' kind of existence after we die. Who knows? It might be something that science discovers in the future. Perhaps some sort of 'connection' to the universe that most people are oblivious to for their entires 'lives'.
i live my life apon the basis of the Abrahamic God. not because i was raised on the knowledge of him, but apon the facts that historically there was a man names Jesus of Nazareth that walked this earth. evidence that proves some type of proclaimed either "prophet" or "so of God". No other religion has valuable evidence such as the "shroud of Jesus", or the spear which a roman soldier pierced his side that contains only 23 pairs of chronozones and only 1 Y chronozone from God which should be impossible since regular humans would have 46, and if he was truly human with 23 chromosomes then he would've been absolutely fucking retarded and retards were cast in the sea to drown cause of some false belief in demons and some other wrong accusations.
My veiw isnt the acknowledgement of some guy in the sky, its on the simple lack of understanding on what happeneds...after.
What do you LACK IN UNDERSTANDING of what happens 'after'?

What ACTUALLY HAPPENS is ALREADY KNOWN, and WELL UNDERSTOOD, well by some of 'us' anyway.
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:26 pm we could all assume that its just nothing but what subjects that? Out of the numerous theory's that exist for the afterlife that my friend is the most unrealistic id have to believe in. The account of "ghost" if you are one to hold that standpoint.

i dont live my life going on forever in some grand place were the water flows with milk and honey because im a bible fanatic, simply because in the grand calculus of the universe...there may be no rhyme or reason for any of this, days like today are scattered amongst the rest, so to treat every day as if in the end when i stand before sometime of omniscient figure so called a "God", i would hope to have a life worth living to account for. whether it being praising some specific deity i never truly knew of-or saving as much lives in the military as possible. To amount to as much good and less harm as possible is my human will. To harm those who deserve punishment and justice on the account for the lives they took. To serve humanity as a whole until i feel as if i as a person has fulfilled my duties as a human to rest my life with a woman i so desire and children to raise and teach. Until i have earned my rest.

i believe in the afterlife of a God not for my sake, more for the feeling that every wicked soul i lay down i know that one day if i do see God then i know they saw him too, but there trajectory was more downward than upward. Knowing that im doing good is what drives me, and every harmful act i bring on a bully, a piece of shit who just wants to hurt somebody...whoever deserves it, i feel content on that the justice they earned today wont be the last.
Talk about ANOTHER EXAMPLE of ANOTHER VERY TWISTED and DISTORTED human being. Or, am I reading you wrong here "toppsy kretts"?
Toppsy Kretts

Post by Toppsy Kretts »

Harbalpotkin
[/quote]

i have to refuse that its all for nothing, that everything doesnt have an esssence of its own.[/quote]

But WHY do you HAVE TO 'refuse'?

Do your BELIEFS STOP and/or PREVENT you from just being Truly OPEN?
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:31 pm but if that thought is still dominant maya i suggest a theroy of my own that if there is ANY meaning to life then wouldnt it be to the same reason for a video game? or a book maybe? that maybe the only REAL meaning to life would be something as small as to,,, leave something behind??
Well there is NOT 'one thing' that could 'go' and take ALL with 'it'.
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:31 pm To have something here after your gone?
There IS, ALWAYS, going to be some 'thing' HERE EVERY time after each one of you has 'gone'.
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:31 pm to have soemthing remembered by? whether that be a kid or patton for a problem solving invention. something at least. or maybe knowledge? soemthing to be recieved from the past life you just lived?
Of course i am entertaining the idea that life has some meaning and a higher power has set these meanings across
the rock we call earth.
[/quote]

yes i must refuse, and i am truly open, the different between your open and my open is= your open is subjective to a relative thought of that if all is ending and never more than any possibility could be sought out and thought apon. MY open mindedness is that in the grand span of the universe if i am going to believe in anything it might as well be some omniscient god JUST IN CASE there is a "bad place", to say that i believe that someone is watching over me is a good feeling for anybody to have. and to truly acknowledge it with what one would call faith then that's something that makes me feel wanted when no one else does.
Yes there is no proof as in a guy walking through healing and doing miracles anymore but that doesn't mean someone didn't once send someone long ago to prove and to show. how insulting would that be? Put yourself in gods shoes...you send someone for 33 years to prove your existence and truth and some believe some deny it. then 2,000 years later people are still questioning if you ever existed and now there's not a government to kill those not believers like the war was against Vikings and Christians some odd 300 years ago.
--id feel pretty humiliated like wtf was 2,000 years ago for????
i wish we could speak in person, i love these conversations.
Toppsy Kretts

Post by Toppsy Kretts »

Age wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:02 am

What a ridiculous quesion. Do you really live your life on the basis that you will go on forever? That sort of defeats the purpose of the word 'life' doesn't it? If we 'live' forever then what is this thing we call 'life'? Apart from that, a lack of religious superstition doesn't exclude the possibility of 'some' kind of existence after we die. Who knows? It might be something that science discovers in the future. Perhaps some sort of 'connection' to the universe that most people are oblivious to for their entires 'lives'.
i live my life apon the basis of the Abrahamic God. not because i was raised on the knowledge of him, but apon the facts that historically there was a man names Jesus of Nazareth that walked this earth. evidence that proves some type of proclaimed either "prophet" or "so of God". No other religion has valuable evidence such as the "shroud of Jesus", or the spear which a roman soldier pierced his side that contains only 23 pairs of chronozones and only 1 Y chronozone from God which should be impossible since regular humans would have 46, and if he was truly human with 23 chromosomes then he would've been absolutely fucking retarded and retards were cast in the sea to drown cause of some false belief in demons and some other wrong accusations.
My veiw isnt the acknowledgement of some guy in the sky, its on the simple lack of understanding on what happeneds...after.

What ACTUALLY HAPPENS is ALREADY KNOWN, and WELL UNDERSTOOD, well by some of 'us' anyway.
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:26 pm we could all assume that its just nothing but what subjects that? Out of the numerous theory's that exist for the afterlife that my friend is the most unrealistic id have to believe in. The account of "ghost" if you are one to hold that standpoint.

i dont live my life going on forever in some grand place were the water flows with milk and honey because im a bible fanatic, simply because in the grand calculus of the universe...there may be no rhyme or reason for any of this, days like today are scattered amongst the rest, so to treat every day as if in the end when i stand before sometime of omniscient figure so called a "God", i would hope to have a life worth living to account for. whether it being praising some specific deity i never truly knew of-or saving as much lives in the military as possible. To amount to as much good and less harm as possible is my human will. To harm those who deserve punishment and justice on the account for the lives they took. To serve humanity as a whole until i feel as if i as a person has fulfilled my duties as a human to rest my life with a woman i so desire and children to raise and teach. Until i have earned my rest.

i believe in the afterlife of a God not for my sake, more for the feeling that every wicked soul i lay down i know that one day if i do see God then i know they saw him too, but there trajectory was more downward than upward. Knowing that im doing good is what drives me, and every harmful act i bring on a bully, a piece of shit who just wants to hurt somebody...whoever deserves it, i feel content on that the justice they earned today wont be the last.
Talk about ANOTHER EXAMPLE of ANOTHER VERY TWISTED and DISTORTED human being. Or, am I reading you wrong here "toppsy kretts"?

How am i a distorted human being???? explain your thesis Mr. Age. Your words have nothing but the smell of emotions from reading a righteous kill is an okay kill. you have no moral obligation to deny my pride in the killing of another man deserving of death. for it is people like my that sounder this world in hopes of finding meaning in the rage and hatred they feel for those who deny our existence and virtues. we thrive in the depths of the the human subconscious that you could never fathom because of your societal standards and high ivory towers you could never imagine the lengths one like us would go to rip the heart out of the pulsating chest of someone committing the simple act of threatening a woman the wrong way, of course these actions that provoke us may vary but please Mr. Age i assure you we do exist and we are very much alive. We are the ones who lock your doors at night Mr. Age, we are the ones who watch the unconsciousness of the world as it rests with the moon Mr. Age, we are the ones who respond to the calls you cry out Mr. Age. There are people in this world that walk amongst us with the will of a lion, the essence of a rabbit and the urge of a vulture to just tear something to pieces. We dont ask for your acceptance, but we ask you know that bad men keep worse men away.

That is why i joined the Marines
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:49 am Will you put what you have found into words at this forum? that EVERY one could agree with, and accept?
Age wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:01 amI did above ALREADY WHEN, and DIRECTLY after WHERE, you asked me;

Now, WILL you put into words what EVERY one could agree with and accept?
Will you put what you've found into words again?
I can't seem to find what you'd found anywhere at this forum as much as I've searched and searched for it, it seems I cannot see it anywhere.

Thanks.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Toppsy Kretts wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:43 am
Age wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:02 am

How am i a distorted human being???? explain your thesis Mr. Age. Your words have nothing but the smell of emotions from reading a righteous kill is an okay kill. you have no moral obligation to deny my pride in the killing of another man deserving of death. for it is people like my that sounder this world in hopes of finding meaning in the rage and hatred they feel for those who deny our existence and virtues. we thrive in the depths of the the human subconscious that you could never fathom because of your societal standards and high ivory towers you could never imagine the lengths one like us would go to rip the heart out of the pulsating chest of someone committing the simple act of threatening a woman the wrong way, of course these actions that provoke us may vary but please Mr. Age i assure you we do exist and we are very much alive. We are the ones who lock your doors at night Mr. Age, we are the ones who watch the unconsciousness of the world as it rests with the moon Mr. Age, we are the ones who respond to the calls you cry out Mr. Age. There are people in this world that walk amongst us with the will of a lion, the essence of a rabbit and the urge of a vulture to just tear something to pieces. We dont ask for your acceptance, but we ask you know that bad men keep worse men away.

That is why i joined the Marines
WTF? :lol:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:16 am
Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53 pm
Evolution is not a process with an end result in mind.
And you KNOW this HOW.
I don't know it. In my understanding of how evolution works, it is not a teleological process, it has no predetermined end result.
Also, has ANY one SAID otherwise?
I think some people do believe that evolution has a predetermined goal, so I suppose some of them will have said otherwise.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote: Evolution doesn't have a mind.
And NEITHER do you human beings, but a LOT of 'you', adult human beings, KEEP TELLING and INFORMING me that 'you' do.
To say that human beings don't have minds seems an odd thing to say. I don't know why you said it, or if it is relevant to our conversation.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote: Natural selection gradually moulds a species to best thrive in its environment.
What do you mean by 'its environment'?
I mean the habitat in which a creature lives.
Are there as MANY 'environments' are there as there are 'its'?
I don't think so.
Will you list some of these DIFFERENT 'environments' that you speak of here?
Forest, ocean, river, under a rock.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote: Human beings do change their environment,
What do you ACTUALLY MEAN by 'their environment'?
I mean the physical place where they live. And by, "change their environment", I mean, for example, chop down trees in order to create fields.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote: and while natural selection is what brought about our ability and tendency to do that, it didn't do it as part of a plan.
AGAIN, and you KNOW this HOW, EXACTLY?

Also, is this just what you BELIEVE is true, or what you KNOW, without ANY IRREFUTABLE DOUBT, is an ACTUAL IRREFUTABLE Truth?

Or, is there some 'thing' else 'at play' here?
It is just my own understanding of how evolution works, and I am not aware of anything else "at play".
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote: Evolution made us adaptable, but it didn't make us able to function optimally in absolutely any conditions, and it didn't programme us with a fail safe that prevents us from creating a physical and social environment that forces us to behave in ways that clash and conflict with aspects of our nature that became set when we lived in a very different environment with a very different life style.
To me this sounds a lot like BLAME, 'self-justification', MINIMIZATION, or just plain OLD DENIAL. But, then again, you might be meaning and/or referring to some 'thing' ELSE here.
I am just describing a situation as I understand it. I have no interest in blaming, self-justifying, or denying anything.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote: Maybe it is a fundamental principle of nature that every system eventually breaks down, or burns itself out.
OR, just KEEPS EVOLVING, KEEPS PROGRESSING, and just KEEPS GETTING BETTER.
What keeps evolving, progressing and getting better?
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote: Perhaps humanity is currently in the later stages of natural decay.
Or, PERHAPS 'humanity' is on the VERY CUSP of evolving or transitioning into the next stage, and just about to take the step up and onto the next rung of the ladder, or onto the next step of the stairway to 'Heaven', and move on into ANOTHER completely PROFOUND and/or REVEALING stage of evolution, as comparable or more so to as WHEN human beings evolved OUT OF the 'ape' stage, and UP, ONTO, and INTO the human being stage.
I have no idea of what you envisage when you say that, but it sounds a bit unrealistic to me.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"so you belive the meaning of life is...nothing"

the meaning is very modest. the most one can do is want one's own good experiences to be had again by people in the future... and for that to happen the human species must procreate.

lemme give u an example. think of something u really enjoyed in your life. an accomplishment, a new car, a trip to the alps, whatever. at the end of your life u realize that's all u ever were... a collection of experiences, and that in a couple minutes after u die, nothing of u will remain.

well the same thing is true for the next guy, and the guy after him, etc. in a sense none of us exist and we're all just assemblies of experiences in a physical world. and since only our most pleasurable and joyful experiences can give meaning and incentive to any of this, the only thing one could reasonably wish for is that experiences like this continue to happen.

one contributes to this in two ways. making babies or helping to sustain a society in which babies can be safely made.

whatever somebody tells u about how spiritual and deep they are, don't believe em. we're all just rational hedonists, some more rational than others.

anyway the only immortality u might have is that fishing trip with uncle steve. if somebody has a fun fishing trip in the future, u get to exist again. remember you're, we're, just a collection of impressions and experiences that happen in physical worlds. who knows how many times x, y and z might happen again, and in what world.

But I've told u too much already. I'm not supposed to reveal these truths.
Toppsy Kretts

Post by Toppsy Kretts »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:26 am

WTF? :lol:
wdym??
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:39 am
Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:02 pm
Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:31 pm
the rock we call earth.
You might be right, but I don't entertain such ideas myself.
WHY?

Is it BECAUSE of your OWN ALREADY GAINED and HELD ONTO BELIEFS?

WHAT STOPS or PREVENTS you from being Truly OPEN?
I am open. I've thought about the matter, and concluded that there is no reason to think that " life has some meaning and a higher power has set these meanings across the rock we call earth." My mind is not closed to any argument that suggests otherwise, but I have not yet heard a convincing one.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:40 am Did you, or did you NOT, say BEFORE or allude to that there was some kind of internal KNOWING?
I think someone else introduced the term, "internal knowing", and I included it in my reply, but I don't remember what I actually said.
So, you can go out with the purpose of making 'life' and living WORSE for "yourself" and/or "others", and there is absolutely NO 'thing' objecting to this purpose, right?
Wrong. I would be the thing objecting to this purpose.
Well since we are ABLE TO live PERFECTLY 'happily', then instead of just 'trying to' live this way how about we actually 'just do' live this way?

What is 'it' that is ACTUALLY STOPPING and/or PREVENTING ANY of 'you' from doing so?
Any number of things could be preventing it: Personal tragedy, mental illness and physical illness, for example. There also seem to be certain personality types who are unable to be happy.