The meaning of life

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dubious

Re: The meaning of life

Post by Dubious »

Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:30 pm
Dubious wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:20 pm Yes, as long as it doesn't become absurdly difficult to keep on living as it seems more people are fated to contend with. But if absurdity is of no concern the future indeed looks bright since there's more on the way.
Yes, it was wrong of me to suggest that absurdity is something that everyone should embrace. It depends on their circumstances.
Circumstances usually depend on how much absurdity one is forced to contend with. In short, the logic of one's situation isn't always defined by logic but by the perverse rationale of a crap game.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:34 pm
Age wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:26 pm
The objective purpose to our lives is to make 'life', itself, better. 'Life' just means, living; being alive, so the purpose of our lives is to just make living or being alive better.
Isn't that a subjective purpose?
What 'thing' is 'better' than another 'thing' may vary between people, and thus be very 'subjective'. But 'making life better' I would suggest on a deeper or a fuller reflection is 'objective', in nature.
Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:34 pm Just an opinion held among us (or some of us) adult human beings, rather than a universal truth.
Are you able to explain what the actual difference is between 'an opinion' and a so-called 'universal truth'?

If yes, then will you, while supplying example/s of both as well?

If you do not, then how do you expect me to answer, and reply to, your question, and comment hee?

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:30 pm
Dubious wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:20 pm Yes, as long as it doesn't become absurdly difficult to keep on living as it seems more people are fated to contend with. But if absurdity is of no concern the future indeed looks bright since there's more on the way.
Yes, it was wrong of me to suggest that absurdity is something that everyone should embrace. It depends on their circumstances.
'Absurdity' only exists within human beings , and from their mis/behaving.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:55 am Are you able to explain what the actual difference is between 'an opinion' and a so-called 'universal truth'?

If you do not, then how do you expect me to answer, and reply to, your question, and comment hee?
If there were a God, and humans had been created by him for a specific purpose, then I suppose the purpose would be a universal truth.

If our existence did not come about through any purposeful agency, then anyone who thought we had a purpose would merely be holding an opinion, rather than be referring to an objective fact.
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:00 pm Yes, our existence is pointless, but the absurdity of life makes it well worth living.
In fact, if life had a clear reason we would be lost.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:00 am
Age wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:55 am Are you able to explain what the actual difference is between 'an opinion' and a so-called 'universal truth'?

If there were a God, and humans had been created by him for a specific purpose, then I suppose the purpose would be a universal truth.
If by the use of the 'God' word one is inferring that there is some 'Thing', which does NOT 'have to be' gendered in ANY way, and which creates EVERY 'thing', of which 'the purpose of' may only 'come-to-light' 'later on', at, let us say, a time when what is an actual 'universal truth' can actually be discussed defined, then we can and will actually move along and proceed here.
Harbal wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:00 am If our existence did not come about through any purposeful agency, then anyone who thought we had a purpose would merely be holding an opinion, rather than be referring to an objective fact.
If 'Life', Itself, is NOT 'any purposeful agency', and ALL-THERE-IS and ALL-OF-THIS is for absolutely NO 'purpose' AT ALL, then WHO decides upon 'this'?

And, would NOT that just be ANOTHER 'opinion', rather than be referring to an object fact, or some 'universal truth'?

Oh, and by the way, I think you have MISSED what I was seeking, from you. That was;

Are you able to explain what the actual difference is between 'an opinion' and a so-called 'universal truth'?

Of which a 'yes' or 'no' is all that is needed for CLARIFICATION PURPOSES.

If you answer 'no', then so be it. If, however, you answer 'yes', then will you explain the ACTUAL difference, as well as supply us with at least one example of both of them?

Post by Age »

bobmax wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:19 pm
Harbal wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:00 pm Yes, our existence is pointless, but the absurdity of life makes it well worth living.
Well considering the Fact that you ARE lost 'now', in the days when this is being written, does this then MEAN that 'life' does have a clear reason?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:31 pm

If by the use of the 'God' word one is inferring that there is some 'Thing', which does NOT 'have to be' gendered in ANY way, and which creates EVERY 'thing', of which 'the purpose of' may only 'come-to-light' 'later on', at, let us say, a time when what is an actual 'universal truth' can actually be discussed defined, then we can and will actually move along and proceed here.
Harbal wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:00 am If our existence did not come about through any purposeful agency, then anyone who thought we had a purpose would merely be holding an opinion, rather than be referring to an objective fact.
If 'Life', Itself, is NOT 'any purposeful agency', and ALL-THERE-IS and ALL-OF-THIS is for absolutely NO 'purpose' AT ALL, then WHO decides upon 'this'?

And, would NOT that just be ANOTHER 'opinion', rather than be referring to an object fact, or some 'universal truth'?

Oh, and by the way, I think you have MISSED what I was seeking, from you. That was;

If you answer 'no', then so be it. If, however, you answer 'yes', then will you explain the ACTUAL difference, as well as supply us with at least one example of both of them?
When I made the original post, "Yes, our existence is pointless, but the absurdity of life makes it well worth living", it was just something that came into my head because of the sort of day I had had. I wasn't trying to present it as something profound, or even truthful. It was just a throw-away statement not meant to be taken very seriously. I know you like a good debate, Age, but this really isn't worth the effort.
bobmax

Post by bobmax »

Age wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:32 pm
Well considering the Fact that you ARE lost 'now', in the days when this is being written, does this then MEAN that 'life' does have a clear reason?
I'm not lost just because there is no clear reason for life.
If there were, I would be dominated by this reason.
To the point of not being able to really exist. I would therefore be permanently lost.

Instead the Truth hides, by hiding it allows me to exist.
Walker

Post by Walker »

bobmax wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:23 pm

If there were, I would be dominated by this reason.
To the point of not being able to really exist. I would therefore be permanently lost.

Instead the Truth hides, by hiding it allows me to exist.
The purpose of your life is to maintain your self-concept, whatever that may be. That's why changing self-concept, often under duress, is a life changing event. This is why happy people are happy whether rich or poor.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Ketchup leaves the bottle at a rate of 25 miles per year.

Flies hum in the key of F.

Giraffes hum to each other at night to make sure their herd stays together.

The longest one-syllable words in the English language all start with the letter "s." "scraunched" "strengthed" "Screeched," "scrounged," "squelched," "straights," and "strengths"

Ladybugs defend themselves by bleeding from their knees.

Arizona forbids camel hunting.

All unclaimed swans in England belong to the Queen (now King presumably. Unless some very specific rather petty legislation has recently passed).

A snail can sleep for 3 years.
Walker

Post by Walker »

To reconcile The Trinity of The Three Identities that are:

- how one perceives oneself,
- how others perceive us,
- and who we really are,

is the basic paradox faced by all human beans, keeping in mind that reconciliation does not necessitate validation or invalidation, and seeing as how so oft’ one is perceived, deceived and defined through filters of delusion.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:45 pm
Age wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:31 pm

When I made the original post, "Yes, our existence is pointless, but the absurdity of life makes it well worth living", it was just something that came into my head because of the sort of day I had had. I wasn't trying to present it as something profound, or even truthful. It was just a throw-away statement not meant to be taken very seriously. I know you like a good debate, Age, but this really isn't worth the effort.
1. I do not like a so-called 'good' debate, 'bad' debate, nor ANY debate. A reason WHY adult human beings, in the days when this was being written, were still so lost and confused was because of 'debate', and because of the teaching of 'debating'.

2. So, what you wrote here in the original post was just, more or less, some sort of complaint, because of the so-called 'day you had had', and of which there was not necessarily ANY 'truth' to that 'complaint' at all, right?

Post by Age »

bobmax wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:23 pm

Well WHY THEN are you lost?
bobmax wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:23 pm If there were, I would be dominated by this reason.
Which you are, you have just not yet evolved, matured, nor grown up enough to recognize and SEE this reason.
bobmax wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:23 pm To the point of not being able to really exist. I would therefore be permanently lost.
This is another one of those prime examples of when those people would say just about ANY thing when 'trying to' back up and support their already HELD ONTO BELIEFS.
bobmax wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:23 pm Instead the Truth hides, by hiding it allows me to exist.
Is this a NON-HIDDEN Truth?

Or just some thing you are saying and believing, in order to make your ALREADY HELD ONTO BELIEFS work in some way or another?

But if 'this' is a HIDDEN Truth, then HOW and WHY do you, supposedly, KNOW 'it'?
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

For Harbal.
Our existence is due to our parents. If you do noy like life, blame them for having put you here.
Have you got any children?