philosophy was in the years after Hume? think of philosophy after
Hume's book, "an inquiry concerning human understanding" written
in 1748 to Kant's book " Critique of Pure Reason" published in
1781...... philosophy was very quiet in those years between
those two books...

and today, after modernism and postmodernism, where are we today in
terms of philosophy?

think about the 20th century philosophers.. think about Heidegger or
Wittgenstein or Sartre... where has their thought taken us today?
these ethical/moral philosophers don't have any validity today...

(all three philosophers thought of themselves as ethical/moral philosophers..
which is why they were considered to be existentialists philosophers
and who practices their philosophy today? not who engages with them,
but who practice, as a way of life, Heidegger or Wittgenstein or
Sarte?)

So one must ask, where is philosophy going to? what is it goals or
even purpose? it is not enough to think about Kants meaning or
what does Heidegger says about this, but we have to think about
about what philosophy means or says to us and about us....

I use philosophy because..... (why)
and who can tell me that why?
why use philosophy instead of religion or economics or history or
evolution? and we have hit the real problem with philosophy today...
why philosophy instead of something else?

Kropotkin

Re: philosophy in crisis today....

Post by Age »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:33 pm and why would I make such a claim?

can anyone here tell me where philosophy is and where
it is going?
What does the 'philosophy' word even mean to 'you', "peter kropotkin"?

To me anyway, 'philosophy' is where it has ALWAYS been, and is going nowhere else.

Either 'you' have 'philosophy' within 'you', or 'you' do NOT.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:33 pm I use philosophy because..... (why)
and who can tell me that why?
Philosophy is ANALYSIS - I tend to analyse everything that I find interesting (the nature of reality - not so much politics etc..)

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:33 pmwhy use philosophy instead of religion or economics or history or
evolution? and we have hit the real problem with philosophy today...
why philosophy instead of something else?
You appear to be confusing PHILOSOPHY for subject matter worthy of philosophical analysis (religion, economics, history etc etc..)
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:33 pm and why would I make such a claim?

it is going?
Problem the present sense of 'what is philosophy' has been bastardized by Academic Philosophy now ingrained with their rigid ideology and the worst is the 'woke' ideology.

Philosophy has always been fundamentally about the seeking of incremental wisdom with rationality grounding the following;
1. Science [to know] is to seek knowledge [epistemology].
2. What action to take [morality and ethics]
3. What to hope for toward the future.

Philosophy is a natural function [next to breathing] that is embedded in human nature in our DNA and will not likely to go away.

If the bastardized philosophy [academic] sunk, philosophy-proper will still function.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

That's a movie I'd pay to see. Philosophy being held against her will by the forces of despicability, but an oddball gang of adventurers is assembled to retrieve her. Kropotkin the half drunk half dead half mad half poet with a brain of cheese, aided by three different people fighting to be the one with "mad" in his name. What a caper movie.

The plot twist can be that Kropotkin, Fishpie, Ken and Vestibule Aquafresh are all one man with two personalities
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:45 am That's a movie I'd pay to see. Philosophy being held against her will by the forces of despicability, but an oddball gang of adventurers is assembled to retrieve her. Kropotkin the half drunk half dead half mad half poet with a brain of cheese, aided by three different people fighting to be the one with "mad" in his name. What a caper movie.

The plot twist can be that Kropotkin, Fishpie, Ken and Vestibule Aquafresh are all one man with two personalities
Nah, I'm the only one with a personality, and officially on paper as being mad. (although I suppose I can't account for the other five)
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

As long as things remain unresolved, as they always will, philosophy has a future.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:08 am

it is going?
Problem the present sense of 'what is philosophy' has been bastardized by Academic Philosophy now ingrained with their rigid ideology and the worst is the 'woke' ideology.

Philosophy has always been fundamentally about the seeking of incremental wisdom with rationality grounding the following;
1. Science [to know] is to seek knowledge [epistemology].
2. What action to take [morality and ethics]
3. What to hope for toward the future.

Philosophy is a natural function [next to breathing] that is embedded in human nature in our DNA and will not likely to go away.

If the bastardized philosophy [academic] sunk, philosophy-proper will still function.
If academic philosophy is as you describe it, why do you cite authors from it so often?
And it certainly made up a large part of that grand list of writings in ethics and philosophy that posted.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

most people subscribe to a philosophy because it supports and justifies personal preferences which had developed before they begin to think philosophically. the philosophical livelihood then becomes a process of honing and reinforcing what was already wanted, although it seems to the person that they're doing philosophy objectively, with disinterest, and at the ready to accept 'truths' they find disagreeable.

The man terrified of death ends up believing in god, the broke blue collar worker ends up becoming a communist, the wealthy business owner ends up becoming a conservative, the man who doesn't want to be responsible ends up becoming a determinist... while the guy who resents, wants to blame and make guilty, ends up believing in freewill, the manic depressive ends up becoming a nihilist, etc.

Now every one of these guys would try to convince u that their philosophies were objective, applicable to everyone... but in the case that a philosophy provides indubitable facts - it's no longer philosophy, but science. so philosophy, almost purely subjective in nature aside from, say, linguistics, which has as its purpose the study of how language works and is used, is usually nothing more than an elaborate intellectual defense of personal preferences which are covertly imposed on the philosophical thinking process as one ages. In a werd, dasein (in the biggsean sense) and i have seen some wonderful instances of this. one's entire world-view is completely out of touch with the 'truth', and these are often the very one's who swear they are being the most objective.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

promethean75 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:15 pm The man terrified of death ends up believing in god..
I guess by that logic, atheists are some brave motherfuckers. :wink: